1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Quest For Tone ... Or, My Journey For A Portable Rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FenderP, Apr 16, 2006.

1. FenderP

FenderP Supporting Member

May 7, 2005
    I may have posted awhile back about my trials and tribulations of finding a portable rig for the Rush tribute band I play with.

I have always been an Ampeg tube guy - I own a '67 B-15N, and a B-25B with matching 2x15. I first tried the B-15R, but it was (ahem) not very good. Then I made the B-25B with the 2x15 my rig for awhile, but as you can probably tell, it was a tad bit underpowered (the B-25B is only about 60 watts; try that over a drummer who is emulating Neil Peart!) and HEAVY to schlep. Not optimal.

Being a 15" speaker and tube guy, I got the Mesa Walkabout Scout 1x15" combo last summer and it's been my live rig since. It has the power, but I'm always fiddling with it - I just can't get that immediate sound like I can from my Ampegs.

So I have been on the amp quest again, but I don't want to break the bank. I want to keep the Mesa 1x15", as it's a good and lightweight 15". If the Walkabout head works out still, great.

I was considering trying out one of the Bergantino IP112s, but I know a 12" just quite isn't my sound. (I had an Ampeg SB-12 back in the day) I e-mailed them, and they wouldn't even make a one off 115, so I scrapped that idea totally. Nice amp, nice weight, a bit costly, and it does sound good - just not quite my sound.

Well, fast forward to last week. I ordered the Yamaha BBT500H from Musicians Friend, thinking it may work as the reviews I read were decent. Plus at$399, it's not a bad risk and if it didn't work, I could send it back. On its own, no it didn't quite work as it was too sterile, but I could get a more immediate sound. Then I had a somewhat brilliant idea - why not use the B-25B as a preamp, and then the Yammy as a power amp and have it set to flat?

I tried it and boom - there was my sound, just amplified louder. I'm going to give it a go the next two rehearsals, but if all works well, the Walkabout head is going to be sold.

2. Is the B-25b all-tube?

3. FenderP

May 7, 2005
    Yup - had it for years. Same model I also used in high school which is probably why I still love it.

4. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    With the all-tube amp, remember that you cannot use it just as a preamp. If the amp doesn't see a load, it will cook the output transformer.

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

12's not your thing? I'd recommend Ampeg SVP-Pro plus IP310 if it wasn't so bulky. I also own some fancier preamps, but my SVP-Pro sounds killer through my Berg HT310/HT115 stack.

6. FenderP

May 7, 2005
    Yup. The B-25B just has a pre out for an external amp, so I'm not sending any load. The amp has standby off since it's never essentially turned on - the preamp is active and seding signal. I'm looking for a dummy load thing cheap now.

I was considering getting a splitter so I can run both the B-25B output and the Yamaha output and running it into the 1x15" so that I get a bit of dirt as well.

7. FenderP

May 7, 2005
    Hate 10s even more than 12s. Only 15s or 18s I find useful.