1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

No longer available The Rare and Elusive Ampeg B-1!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Amps, Preamps, and Cabinets' started by Razman, Nov 16, 2018.

1. Razman

Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    Price:
    I've been using this unit for about a year or so, had my tech replace the tubes and it sounds and works great - just don't need it in my current context and am hoping to get some other equipment that are in the sights at the present time (you know how that is).

Everything works as it should, the 150 watt power section is handy and gets surprisingly loud - I recently tested it with two Trace Elliot cabs (older 210 and 115) and was surprised at the volume, more than enough for an enthusiastic drummer and a loud guitar!

The 'voice' option is also nice, with the level turned down you can adjust the knob for flavor without an increase in volume - or boost it for leads or to overdrive the preamp tubes. Many tones to be found in this thing!

Asking $325 plus shipping; not considering trades at the present time. I'm going to grab a box on the way home so that I can provide an accurate weight and dimensions for estimating shipping. I prefer FedEx ground; my zip is 32073. Please ask questions if needed.

Eric

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  2. RSB

RSB Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Hi,
    What are it's dimensions, weight and the type of tubes which you replaced?
    Thanks,
    Rob

3. Razman

Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    Hi Rob,

Box is 19" x 14" x 4"; I'll need to get it wrapped up good to get a weight - I'll try to have that tonight or tomorrow. Tubes are 12ax7's; perhaps I should pop open the cover and get the brands for those curious because I don't remember what he put in them....

Eric

4. StringslamDan

StringslamDan

Nov 18, 2012
    I have one of these, and would agree that it sounds fantastic and is also very loud out of a 4x10 or even better, running it through a fridge! I love mine and will probably never sell it, as these rarely ever pop up for sale! I actually think it sounds better than the 3 pro I sold and is equally as loud imo! Good luck with the sale, and congratulations to who ever scores this little gem!

* Also this is a B-1 not the all solid state B1-R as listed. It might make a difference if anyone is trying to research and gather more info online.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    Groove Doctor and Razman like this.
  5. Razman

Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    I thought the B-1 was the combo, and the B-1r was just the rack unit - definitely not the B1re, which is all SS. Either way, it's a great amp!

I'll be in Sanford, FL tomorrow morning - just posted it on CL down in Orlando, but if anyone down that way is interested just let me know and I'll bring it along for the ride.

Cheers,

Eric

focusbob likes this.
  6. StringslamDan

StringslamDan

Nov 18, 2012
    Ampeg should've just called it the SVT 1 Pro and been done with it..lol

Bigbri, Raw N Low, slugger and 2 others like this.
  7. Razman

Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    Box is 16 lbs.

8. Razman

Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    For your entertainment (and my embarrassment) here are a couple of videos contrasting the B-1 vs. my Bassman 400. First, the 400:

Now, the B-1:

A few side notes - while demoing the boost feature, I had it's volume maxed and set the 'voice' knob to noon. There may be a volume difference between the two videos; the 400 seems naturally louder. Let me know what you think of if you have any questions or are looking for a particular sound.

Also, my dogs are brother and sister - they are American Bandogge Mastiffs; they are almost 8 years old. The white one is named Sasha, and she is deaf (but you'd never know it) and the dark brown male is named Hooch (yes, from the movie!) We adopted him with that name when he was a year old but raised Sasha from when she was a puppy. They are sweet, but I wouldn't try entering our home unannounced.

Eric

svtb15 and focusbob like this.
  9. focusbob

focusbob

Jan 28, 2019
    One request: preamp overdrive samples without ultra-hi/ultra-low engaged?

10. Razman

Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    Will do, later this evening. A couple other points, the difference in sound between having the tweeter engaged and not engaged is large - very interesting to me, not so harsh with the tweeter off (or subdued). Also, the boost circuit is foot-switchable but I don't feel it works good as a 'drive on, drive off' type of effect. A pedal would work better for that (and that's what I use with the Mesa); I'd need to spend some time running it close to input saturation with the boost on/off to see how it reacts to various levels of input signal (playing dynamics). A real tube amp is more reactive in that regard.

Raz

focusbob likes this.
  11. Razman

Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL

focusbob likes this.
  12. Razman

Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    The Spirit I'm using has a pretty low output - need to try this with my custom fiver with the preamp set hot and see how it sounds, hmmm...

13. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

The best preamp Ampeg ever made.

Raw N Low and Razman like this.
  14. Razman

Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    Any local interest (from Orlando north or SE Georgia??) I'd be willing to take a drive for the right new owner. Need to move this to fund other endeavors.

I may consider trades for the right type of item, such as portable, hand-held, wireless personal "protection systems" in size '45'. Size '9' fits also. :D :D :D Local only, of course, and properly documented.

15. Bruiser Stone

Bruiser Stone Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2017
    Tennessee
    Do you know the preamp signal output as measured in dBu/dBv and/or volts RMS? After a little research, this spec has elluded me.

16. Razman

Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    No clue. I have used it with both my Mesa 400 (running out of the preamp output jack) and a QSC power amp with good results. Do you have a specific concern?

17. Bruiser Stone

Bruiser Stone Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2017
    Tennessee
    I’ve got my eyes open for an Ampeg-ish tube preamp to connect to the power section of my tube amp, but what I have has a rather hot 3V signal requirement, so it limits the contenders.

18. Razman

Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    I double-checked the manual again and it doesn't have any reference to the line level output of the preamp. I know the fx output gets pretty hot - I was using it with a BBE 382 in my rack (connecting it through the fx loop) and at louder volumes it was overdriving the BBE, so I had to run it via the preamp out. The post-EQ switch places that section after the preamp, so maybe that would work?? I dunno.

Raz

Bruiser Stone likes this.
  19. Raw N Low

Raw N Low If I can't hear it, hopefully I'll feel it Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    Best amp that can double as a preamp...ever made. ;););)

Loudest 150 watts I've ever heard. Begging to be paired with a newer neo cab.

I WILL NEVER LET MINE GO.

...blah blah blah, cold dead hands.

Razman likes this.
  20. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

It took a Bergantino to replace mine.

Raw N Low and Razman like this.