Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Rave Act is coming to a town near you...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Muzique Fann, Jun 3, 2004.

1. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    As we are all music lovers, this is serious folks - the police state is upon us. Please read and discuss...

COVENTRY, N.Y. -- A music festival promoter and the owner of a campground where a New Jersey man died last month have been charged in the death.

The two were charged Saturday in connection with the drug overdose deaths of a Raritan Township, N.J., teen and another man last month, New York State Police reported.

Adam Meisner, 19, was found floating in a lake on May 22. Anthony Scanlon, 33, of Sidney, was found dead in a tent by paramedics and state officials responding to the Echo Lake Campground.

The Chenango County medical examiner ruled that both men died as a result of drug overdoses.

The campground, about 55 miles south of Syracuse, was host to Gramma Joan's Spring Fling the weekend the men died.

Festival promoter Joan P. Decker, 63, of Morris, and campground owner Sayed Khalifa, 67, of Afton, each were charged with two counts of criminal nuisance, police said.

Decker and Khalifa ignored festivalgoers' underage drinking and illegal drug use during the event, police said.

The two face a maximum six months in prison if convicted.

Meisner's father, Richard, told The Express-Times of Easton, Pa., that he doesn't want the music festival shut down because of his son's death.

"I think the last thing my son would want is them closing a music fest on account of him," Richard Meisner said.

He said Wednesday that his family is still trying to understand the circumstances of Adam Meisner's death.

Authorities have not determined what drugs were involved in the deaths. And police still have no idea how Adam Meisner's body got into the lake. An autopsy ruled out drowning as a cause of death.

Adam Meisner graduated from Hunterdon Central Regional High School last June. He worked with his father at On Site Fleet Services in East Brunswick, N.J., and was enlisting in the Navy at the time of his death.

A snowboarder and water skier, he was a summer volunteer in Maine with a Flemington Presbyterian Church group.

First of all it's sad that these guys died. But, how can they hold these people responsible?! If law enforcement starts doing this everywhere festivals will soon be a thing of the past. Then what...all concerts gone?! Some stupid kid od's at a show and the owner of the venue and promoter get put in jail?! Bad news...

2. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    i don't quite understand how the camp owners are at fault for someone else overdosing on drugs. Under this theory perhaps we should start blaming bar owners and alcohol companies for people who die in alcohol related incidences.

3. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I've heard much of the Rave Law. As someone who's been rather critical of the War on Drugs as it is, I can't believe how our rights are being peed away.

I agree with Smash about blaming others. Then again, it seems as though we are society who thinks that fixing symptons will make the causes go away.

I've often entertained the thought of throwing a rave in my town, but the legalities of it have given me reservations.

4. DaemonBass

DaemonBass

Mar 29, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    Forgive me here, but what exactly is this "criminal nuisance" you speak of? I just want to say it is absolutely ridiculous to charge to senior citizens with the drug deaths of 2 teens. I would imagine, not knowing anything further, that they had absolutely no knowledge of the event. At a music festival no less, the thing was probably huge, I can't see how there would be any laws holding the festival throwers responsible for every persons free will...

5. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    the rave act makes this kind of thing possible. the original version never made it through congress, but when tacked it onto the end of something else, you bet your ass that it did.

patriot act, rave act, whats next?