Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Real Book

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Warwickthumb, Oct 5, 2005.

1. Hey guys,
    Anyone know where I can buy a Real Book. Or someone selling one? I have one already that I bought in Indianapolis 4 years ago. Its one of those pocket sized ones. It worked great for instructional purposes. Now I need the normal size. I just cant read off this one well with those dim lights. Ive been using the guitarist book. Even though he has a large amount of the songs memorized he still needs to use it. So of cource any help would be great. I know about the legal issues with it. I bought it at a small store outside of the Indy dowtown area. I asked for a the real book. THen I told him who sent me. And I guess it made it safe. He opened a drawer benith the music book racks. All they had was the pocket sized left and I need that book asap so i bought it. I do have a plethera of sheet music though. Ive been wondering what type of pen do the composeres use to make those nice, clean black lines. It doesnt look right when i use a ball point pen.
    Thanks,
    joe

2. Eggman

Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    I've seen them in the music book section of places like Borders. Also seen them in sheet music stores - not GC type stores.

3. Pruitt

Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    What type of pen do they use to make the clean black lines? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! That's a good one! Everyone knows they use a Sharpie extra fine point!

J/K...they buy blank staff paper or print it off their computer.

5. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    sending you a pm. :bag:

Marshall

6. You missunderstood what I meant by lines. In my post I said I have sheet music. Plenty of it. I've just never been able to get those notes to look so bold like the composers do. I used a regular pen and it just never looked as good as thiers. Im actually somewhat offended by that comment.

7. I got mine from my local college jazz studies professor,
    who also happens to be the lead guitarist in my band.
    I don't know who he orders them from, but maybe you could
    check out your local college if they have music majors,
    then they probably have Real Books.

Good luck.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    There are downloadable Real Books you can find on most P2P services.

9. I can never find the PDF versions in bass clef. :bawl:

Anyone seen those around??

10. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    +1

Otherwise Amazon sells it for $25, but send me a PM's if you can provide any hints.

11. I think any small music store that sells sheet music has them, just need to do the "wink wink nudge nudge" routine. Not likely to find them at stores like "Guitar Center"...

Randy

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Not only are Real Books in bass clef a rarity, I think there's only one, the New Real Book in bass clef. I'll be totally honest, though. You need to get used to reading in treble clef if you have any hope of being able to play standards out of Real Books. People will hand you self-assembled books of songs they took from various sources, they will hand you loose sheets of music, etc., and you will be expected to read them as fluently in treble clef as you can read in bass clef. So instead of trying to find the Real Book in bass clef, just get used to treble clef, because you will be forced to use it at some point.

13. Hmm, been reading bass clef real books for 15 years now and have had no problems and no complaints.

And rare?? I have two sitting right in front of me.

14. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I've got a 5th edition bass clef in front of me.

Looking for a treble clef 5th for my piano playing.

15. What confuses me is all of the editions and then volumes... Can someone unconfuse me?

16. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I've found few people carry anything more than the original volume. There are additional volumes with additional songs.

The editions are updates, fixes, etc. The first 5 editions over the past 30 years have been illegal. The 6th edition has been legalized.

17. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    There are two bass clef editions of the real book with different tunes.

18. So, all of the editions are the same songs, just with corrections??

And the 6th addition is what Hal Leonard put out that supposedly fixed all of the rest of the errors?

19. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Well, if you choose to not learn treble clef, then don't say I didn't warn you. You guys may not need to read it in the circle of gigs you're doing now, but eventually you will.

20. Didn't say you wouldnt need it or that its not useful. Actually, my comment wasnt really an attack or anything. Just saying, if you are getting a fake book, you might as well get a bass clef if you want to read the head since these books are available.