1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Real Daal or Copy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ElectroStompbox, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Real bass

43 vote(s)
    59.7%
  2. Copy

29 vote(s)
    40.3%
  1. ElectroStompbox

ElectroStompbox

May 20, 2007
    Im probably opening a can of worms with this one but why does everyone get copies of basses? Like y get a 1951 P-bass copy when you could try to be better and get a 1951 p-bass? it just really doesnt make any sense to be honest. And i dont intend to offend anybody with there choice of basses.

2. superkicky

superkicky Guest

Sep 3, 2005
    I'd say price, availability and feasibility.

3. Osprey

Osprey

Jun 20, 2005
    UK
    best 6 word reply ever!

4. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    As far as setimental value goes, the real deal bass (eg. 51' Fender) would be far more valuble than a copy you could buy at any guitar store.

As far as finding one goes, I'd get the copy. One, because they would be impossible to find. And two, because when you do find one it would cost a million!!!!

5. A 1975 Jazz bass may cost several thousand dollars depending on its condition. A 75 reissue jazz bass sells for $1500 or less (if bought used). Money is the main issue. Also, unless you have the knowledge to evaluate a vintage bass properly, you have no assurances that it will play any better than the reissue. It may, in fact need significant work to play at all. Its a lot of risk and money.

6. Because I'm not taking a $50,000 bass into a smokey bar where drunken patrons may knock it off a stand or some criminal may walk off with it. Especially not when I can get a $1500 bass that in all honesty plays better anyway, and nobody is ever going to hear the difference.

7. idoru

idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Real daal? Like the stuff you get from an Indian restaurant run by proper Indians?

(I'm aware dahl is spelled with an H, but it's a funny typo for those of us who are curry obsessed)

8. Because Poison wouldn't be Poison without Bobby...

9. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    because i can't afford $20000 for a 1964 fender jazz bass.

i can afford the money for a custom shop NOS 64 reissue

10. dvh

dvh Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    I bought my 51 P reissue because I like the tone, the neck, and its simplicity. Its "vintage" status is totally secondary though I do think it's cool. In fact, I do wish it had the contoured body. Anyone got one of those paisley ones?

Kind of a silly question really and the replies above say it all.

11. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    ...so I'll add it.

the "real deal" was a factory-made artifact. The "copy" is a factory-made artifact.

I like the design of the '51 P, but if you wanted to buy the "real deal" you would
    a) pay a huge amount for something that was not functionally superior to the reissue, and possibly could be inferior, unless it were modified with modern pickups, bridge, etc
    b) be getting something that may be at the end of its working life
    c) very likely be paying an inflated price for a fake
    and/or
    d) end up with something too valuable to gig with.

Besides that, you'd be contributing to the "beanie baby" craze surrounding used gear that is pricing old instruments out of the reach of working musicians.

A bass is a tool. Get over this "real deal" BS.

12. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    IMO, this whole mind set of "vintage" or "Real Deal" being "better" is a load of crap.

What is so stinkin' funny is in the 70's. Jazz basses were for all practical purposes, considered junk.
    People hated them.

Now it's like "WHOA!!!! A 70's Jazz!!!! OMG!!!!" and it plays and sounds like garbage.

I've played more garbage "vintage" basses than I can remember and more new one's (RI or not) that play and sound better, but get passed over because they are new.

I have a buddy who has a 65 Jazz that guys fall over when he pulls it out, it sounds like crap and can't be set up to play right because it's just poorly made fron the get go.
    But because it's a 65, he doesn't want to mess with it (and understandably so) to get it to play well.

And almost every 70's Jazz I pick up, is a mess.
    You think Fender is inconsistant now???? The 70's Fender's make Fender's today look like Sadowsky's shop.

Part of this reason is, when guys do find that rare good one, thy know it and they keep it.
    So the relativly good ones are kept to the players and the not so good ones keep making the rounds.

Bottom line, get what feels good and sounds good, regardless of when/who/where it was made.

13. CraigG

CraigG

Mar 14, 2006
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    If I had the money, the Real Deal... MAYBE. However, I have never been one to simply ignore copies as there are some very good copies on the market. If I could save several hundred dollars or more, and the copy played well, I would be prone to go with the copy. I have a Cort Curbow 5 right now and I have found it to be a wonderful instrument to play. I upgraded the electronics to the same that I have seen in basses costing 3-4 times as much and I still spent under $700. The Real Deal Curbow would have cost me several thousand more than what I paid for this one. For me the difference in price of the Real Deal Curbow was far from justifiable. And, I'm able to sleep at night knowing, if anything ever happened to my Cort Curbow (though I hope nothing would because I REALLY like it), I would not be as devestated as I would if I had the Real Deal.

14. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    I was one of those people.

Wait, I think I still am.

(And I like a good Jazz bass.)

15. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    The only consistantly good bass from the 70's are Music Man basses ;)
    And are equally as good today (now if they just re-issued the Saber......)

16. I like this answer--it's like my roommate said once--If they were so good in the 70s, why would they change anything?

17. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    even people who can afford 51 p-basses (like Mr Sting) often take replicas out on the road... it's stupid to subject a rare vintage instrument to the rigours of rock touring

18. gjooro

gjooro

Mar 27, 2006
    Croatia
    Well, I don't have the money for a real deal.. So I would buy just a normal fender J, no RI.

But if someone likes real deal why not? Some people pay much more for paintings or something and they keep them in a safe. (and they can get fake - RI painting for much much less money) So, would I call any person who likes real deal an idiot? no..

And I bet that here on TB are some guys that actually had a J in 70's and now they don't. In 70's they were extra cheap compared to today's prices for them

19. I can't fault anyone for liking the real deal, for sure. I'd love to own several vintage instruments, but my current budget can't support even one right now (heck, right now I'd have trouble justifying a RI)
    I voted reissue on the poll, just because, the way I see it, there are a lot of factors that play into a decision like that, the biggest factor being budget. So few people have the budget for something like that, and even everyone who has a budget for a vintage instrument can't acquire one due to low availability.
    While I understand the argument from the vintage POV, I'd never in a million years fault anyone for buying a reissue.

20. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    Because we're not all named Tom Bowlus. :)

But seriously...anyone else think that's kind of a dumb question?