Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The 'Real Deal' or 'Real Dud'

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by purfektstranger, Mar 4, 2006.

1. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
  2. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

You know ...

One of these days, I am going to offer a class on "How to write an Ebay listing that doesn't make people suspicious."

THIS is what an Ebay listing should look like:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7383352539

3. Guys, there's a big difference between selling a $300 piece and an expensive, vintage piece. The seller seems to be in a classic "damned if you do and damned if you don't" situation. IMO, he is trying to document his assertions with good pictures of what he's selling. If he didn't, people would think he's trying to be vague but since he did, it looks (to some people, at least) like he's trying to be devious. What would you have him do?

4. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Personally I would downsize the description by at least two thirds, get an appraisal and simply not refer to 'Fender and other sources opinions' which don't mean a thing without a name, use only one coloured font (as opposed to seven or eight different colours) to name a few things.

Point taken though....with the amount of parts basses out there trying to get passed off as vintage, I wouldn't want to be selling or buying one online.

5. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    In my opinion, you post that much info and that many pictures there has got to be something there that is worth all the trouble.

I'm sure one of the Fender experts in here can discern from all of the info and pictures whether or not this guy is full of it.
    I am not that expert. I defer to the Fender Gods...

6. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

IMO, presentation is everything. The listing looks so amateurish and cartoonish that it's hard to take seriously.

If you are looking for big dollars on anything, it's time for serious business. And serious business demands presentation that looks serious.

Some clean, well-written text on a plain background, with simply stated facts, and well taken photos would go a long way toward making that listing more believeable.

7. britrit

britrit

Jan 22, 2006
    London
    the neck was stamped on my birthday, not the year, but the day. cool.

8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Yeah, the description is a bit over the top, but it looks like the real deal to me.

The pictures ain't great, but there are quite a few of them, and they're of the important detail to those who know what to look for.

9. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Looks real.
    No way of telling if original, or 60's parts bass?
    So many basses now, are just through together saved parts basses. I've seen another 64 that was black like this bass.
    If it's real, big bucks???????

10. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The irksome thing is, he mentions his high feedback "including numerous top-drawer vintage instruments", but it looks like he makes most of the top-drawer auctions private, so you can't check them out. I think he's legit, but his listings are very annoying.