1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The REAL man thread!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by PersonalTraynor, Jul 23, 2012.

1. PersonalTraynor

PersonalTraynor

Jan 14, 2011
    Lady parts, Canada
    peaveyTraynor freakazoid...
    If you work concrete or anything else labourous for your bass obsession, this is the place to meet!

2. I don't know if I qualify, I used to be in swimming pool construction...excavation, steel, concrete, tile and masonry, plumbing, electrical...did it all and busted my ass until the economy took my man card and decent pay away. Now I have a cushy job sitting on a school bus all day. :p

3. Lee H

Lee H

Nov 30, 2011
    Redding CA
    what about motorcycle mechanic/machinist? Is that labor intensive enough?
    come on, I have to test ride those sport bikes with a head down @** up riding position. I deserve a little credit for that:p

4. I'll be a firefighter by the end of the year. Does that count?

5. So much respect for firefighters right here, that better count!

6. I'm a volunteer for medical experiments/examinations in a local hospital, paid of course. They usualy stick tubes into my nose all the way into my stomach. Does that count?

7. jarrydee

jarrydee

Oct 22, 2011
    Michigan
    I was a hard working electrician until new construction stopped! Now I am JUST a bass player and, also took the woman's spot as the house wife, I take care of the kids, cooking, cleaning, laundry...that's harder than any job out in the world, some days I would rather be shoveling crap than be home!

8. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I'm a teacher, and a vegetarian.

OK, I'll go look for the other thread.

9. Army mechanic here, does that count?

10. :D

11. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    I'm over the hill and happy to relinquish my man card and Heisman trophy wife.

12. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    I'm unemployed and live with my mom right now. What do I win?

13. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
  14. DblG

DblG

Apr 27, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Reading this post then looking at your avatar made me chuckle.

15. AuBassMan

AuBassMan Supporting Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Central Virginia
    I had posted to this thread but deleted it after re-reading it, didn't come across the way I had intended.

16. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    I worked in various construction and building maintenance jobs for years until I could finally eke out a living playing music. Did everything from roofing to waterproofing. I've installed switches and outlets in live circuits, hit my thumb with a 24 oz waffle head framing hammer, worked on a 8/12 pitch roof in high winds, was nearly buried alive in a trench when the guy in the bobcat didn't check before dumping a bucket of gravel in it, had a brick wall we were taking down collapse on us. But the scariest thing I've done is to give up day work altogether and try to make a living playing music. No benefits, no workman's comp, no unemployment insurance, pay my own FICA/SS taxes, had the rug pulled out from under me numerous times. I can bust my ass juggling five bands in town to work six gigs a week, wood shedding for the pickup gigs, hoping the bands' live arrangements somewhat resemble the recordings, or go on the road and travel a thousand miles between gigs, sleeping in a bouncing, swerving RV with a driver nodding off at the wheel. But I wouldn't trade it for anything ... well maybe a winning powerball ticket, then I could buy that studio I've been dreaming about and play out at my leisure.

17. Definitely

Definitely Banned

I'm 14 and can't get a job just yet so I've been busting my ass around town painting decks and fences for all of my parents' friends. Pulled in a solid grand at least last year from working yards and painting all summer. It's how I afforded my new Carvin and amp!

18. 2behead

2behead

Mar 8, 2011
    portland
    Gynecologist. If you do what you love you"ll never work a day in your life.

19. bassistjoe93

bassistjoe93 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2011
    I work construction in Georgia during the summer ever since I was 15 (4 years now)... This summer has been brutal. There hasn't been a day below 98 degrees with incredibly oppressive humidity. Am I in?

20. fisticuffs

fisticuffs

May 3, 2011
    Madison, WI
    What specifically about manual labor makes one a "real man"? I feel there might be more to it than that.