Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Real Thing

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Tash, Mar 19, 2005.

1. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I stumbled acrossed this CD the other day and loaded it up. I haven't listened to this since I was 15 or so...there's some cool bass playing on this record and some of the tones are great.

Anyone know what kind of rig was used for this?

2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

This has been discussed before. There are two different 'The Real Thing' entities. One was a R&B vocal band from England and the other was band that had no bassist but an organist who played 'foot pedal' bass. Which one are you referring to?

3. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Sorry, I was refering to the album by Faith No More :)

4. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    at that time bill was using, to the best of my knowledge:

aria integra basses with the p/j style pick ups, fretted, 4-strings and peavey amps. he told me when they went into the studio he used whatever peavey amp into a mic'd peavey 4x12. i also heard, dont know if its true, that the speaker cones were torn. for effects he had a DOD bass flanger and an ibanez tube screamer.

5. Tnavis

Tnavis

Feb 25, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Billy Gould was one of my first bass heroes. "Woodpecker From Mars" is still an amazing display of endurance.

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    All threads titled "The Real Thing" crack me up, with the whole FNM vs. R&B.