Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The real truth about the Behringer BX3000T

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by superbassman2000, Feb 21, 2004.

1. ok, so here's the story. Many of you may remember me when i bashed to BX1200 because it screwed up during a gig. so, cut to today, i was at a guitar store, because i am looking for a head to match my 200 watts at 4 ohms peavey 1810 cab. I am not necessarily going to buy it, but the guitar store guy said it was 200 dollars brand new. so he had me try it out on a hartke 410 and i picked out a washburn bass to try it on. so it sounded great. it has the subahrmonic generator, deep and bright switches, three mid controls, vu meter. it looked and played very well. but heres what i am worried about. how do these handle in the long run? i really liked my bx1200 at the store (oddly enough, the same store), but now, a few months later, it screws up and really annoys me. so anyone who has had a bx3000 for more than a month around here? do they screw up like the bx1200? or should i just save a little money and get an SWR, eden, or Ampeg, or something of the like, or should i seriously think about the BX3000 as a serious contender in the fight to power my 1810?
    Thanks for the help,
    Charlie

2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

A lot of folks here will bash Behringer to death. So don't expect too many (if any) positive answers. If you can save at least $200 more, I'd suggest getting the Hartke 3000 or something similar for around $400. Only if you just can't afford anything else and don't want to go the used route (I will not buy used!) would I recommend this amp. Behringer products are not made to withstand abuse. If you pamper your equipment like I do, maybe it'll work a long time for you if you buy it. Soundwise, this amp is a monster! I've heard it with a 4x10, a 2x10 and a 2x10 & 1x15 and all rigs sounded really good and loud! If I knew for sure this amp would last nearly forever, I'd buy it in a heartbeat! You cannot do better for $200 new!

3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Get an Ashdown MAG series amp.

Thats the amp Behringer ripped off for that amps design.

Peace
    Nick

4. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I recently purchased one by mail order. I used it for the first time today in practice along with a hard hitting drummer and a loud guitar player (Soldano amp.) I used it with a Hartke 4x10 cabinet with good results. No effects or compressor were used. I was able to get a good tone and it held it's own as far as volume was concerned. I like it. I don't know how it will hold up but I will give periodic updates as to how it is holding up.

5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
  6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
  7. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Oh, the "ultrabass" feature is really kind of useless. It will not track below an A.

8. As a previous owner of an 1810 I would strongly suggest you get an amp that is bi-ampable. Running that cab in full range sounds sort of like a fart on crack. I used to run mine bi-amped with a Peavey Max Bass Amp (CS800 w/Max Pre-Amp in a road case) and it sounded pretty darn good. I did up-grade the input jacks, wiring, and speakers though (new Scorpion 10's and BW 18) so YMMV. The 1810 sounds much better then the 1820 though. In any case, the 18'' BW really doesn't like frequencies above 100-125hz which is why I suggest bi-amping.

9. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

10. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

:rolleyes:

11. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    There is another downside to the whole Chinese mainland manufacturing thing as well ... There was a comment in the other thread about how 'Mr B probably owns a whole city over there now' That isn't going to happen anytime soon. When setting up a factory over there you often have to create a partnership with someone providing local, Chinese mainland capital. Well, these folks are communist right ? Who has the capital and what form does the capital take ? The capital is the land to build your factory on and the sweat that it takes to improve the land (roads, water mains, electrical service ...) China has a boatload of land and a boatload of people to work that land and a military to make it all come together ... Very often you new partner is the Chinese military. So when you buy from companies that are doing business there, it is a very real possibility that you are directly contributing to those folks that sit in Tibet and brought you Tienamin Square ...

Is it certain that Berhinger is a case in point ? I haven't done the research to prove it and I don't feel like funding the HK based lawyers that would be necessary just to be certain ... They were close enough to the line on the ethics of product development for me to x them from the list anyway ...

If any of you are bicycle riders you might know of Airborne a mail order outfit that started providing attratively priced Titanium bike frames a few years back. Those folks taught their Chinese partners a lot about working with TI. Great ... What prople around thr world say about us ... 'It isn't American's I hate, it's what your Government does ...' pretty much sums up my feelings on this topic ...

I was saddened to see K2 move it's production from Seattle to China. Washington State really doesn't need to shed anymore jobs. Anyone want a set of AK Launchers ?

12. Hey guys... there´s already enough threads about Behringer´s evil business empire, let´s not make this another one, please.

I don´t like Behringer´s practises any more than the next guy, but there´s time and place for everything. Superbassman asked a simple technical question in the amps forum. If he wanted to know if buying Behringer makes him a bad person he would have asked just that.

If you absolutely, positively feel that you have to bring the moral issue up, please do it like Petebass: by posting a link to previous discussions, not by starting a new one.

Now, would somebody kindly answer the original question, please. There should be plenty of players here who have owned said head for at least few months now.

13. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    " Very often you new partner is the Chinese military. So when you buy from companies that are doing business there, it is a very real possibility that you are directly contributing to those folks that sit in Tibet and brought you Tienamin Square ... "

What?

14. Shure is starting to make microphones in China.

15. I've just bought myself one. I can't really afford anything else, so Behringer it was. I'm still awaiting this month's paycheck to blow on my brother's 21st birthday present, and I'm going to scrimp and save and use the remaining money to buy an Ashdown MAG cab.

Anyhoo, I know of a bassist who runs a recording studio who owns said head and it's worked nicely for him for a looooong time, so I'm led to believe. He bought one when they were first out, and it's seen regular action as his amp and as the studio's amp since then.

Mark.

16. Before I start a short review relating to this instrument, I would like to add the following:

China is not the only country where many companies (US, european, etc.) manufacture and/or assemble products and sell them elsewhere. Due to our "free trade agreement" hundreds of thousands of jobs have been shipped overseas and our domestic unemployment rate is sky rocketing....so, it's not only China. Don't forget that most PCs we're using in these days came first from Taiwan (nobody cared about that) and now from China, yes..........I don't like it and would prefer purchasing a local product, but, you all out there realize this:
    A US manufacturer can call his product "Made in the US" as long as 51% are made in the US. I wonder where the remaining 49% have been manufactured. Furthermore, even "Made in the US" fender stratocasters are being manufactured in Mexico, go figure........

As to the Behringer BX3000T:
    I purchased the first amp ~ 5 months ago. After ~ 45 gigs and uncounted rehearsals the amp goes strong, is very versatile, LOUD, delivers 300 ACTUAL Watts RMS @ 4 ohm, unlike some others, i.e. Ashdown, SWR, etc. (I am not bashing these manufacturers).
    If someone is worried about this amp breaking down, realize that other "high end" amps also do that, i had personal experiences with SWR, Eden, Mesa, etc., and I baby my gear, and have it reagularly maintained.

I was so pleased with the Behringer amp that after 2 months I ordered a 2nd amp. Well, I've heard horror stories about Behringer's inconsistency. The 2nd amp performs just as well as the first, and I am using these amps as my main and backup amp.

One little addition to this subject, don't think that I am biased, I am trying to be as neutral as possible. I've been playing bass for 37 years, many years as a professional and still own a lot of high end boutique gear, such as Mesa Boogie M2000, walkabout, several Mesa Diesel and road ready cabs, Euphonic audio cabs, Epifani, yadah, yadah, yadah.

Fact is, there is NOTHING out there, not even used you can purchase brand new with a 1 year warranty for under $200.00. This amp blows away Hartke 3500 (had one for a few weeks as a backup), sounds better and is LOUDER.

That's just my humble opinion, and hope it'll help and/or may be change any biased bassist's mind.
    Remember one's bassist's Eden is the other's Crate, etc.

17. Well I hate to argue, but check this out!
    800W amp!

couldn't find the warantee info though.

18. before you forward links, you should read it carefully.

I compared the Behringer with several amps, i.e, Hartke, Eden, Mesa Boobie, etc.

Your link shows a guitar combo, which I am certain you haven't tried. Stick to the issue, buddy.

19. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    It is very important to read the fine print.... that is 800W peak. As an example, the iAMP 800 is 800W @ 4 ohm, with a peak of 2,500W. I bet that, at best, this is a 100W amplifier that will produce 800W for a fraction of a second and then literally blow up.

20. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

After it's all said and done espescially after all been said about Behringer, I'm still waiting for a BX3000T horror story! I ain't heard one yet! Even though I already own a couple of amps (1-300w, 1-500w), I may buy one as a backup-backup just for sh**s and giggles! Pffft! $200? A mere bag of shells and a 1 year warranty to boot?! :eek: