1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The reason why the pickups on my particular SX bass sucks

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by WingKL, Jun 15, 2007.

1. WingKL

WingKL

May 12, 2007
    The neck pickup on my new SX Jazz fretless was way unbalanced and the bridge pickup was very soft and rolled off. So I removed them to see what was going on:

[​IMG]

The pickup magnets are two flat bar magnets under the poles. One of the magnets in the neck pickup had unglued, popped off the bottom cover and climbed over the other side causing the imbalance. It looks like non standard construction as it seems in standard jazz bass pickups, the poles are the magnets. The bridge pickup looks intact so I have no idea why it's so much softer than the neck. Suffice to say, the bass is getting a Duncan SJB1 upgrade.

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    The pickups in my old '92 MIM J were very similar... nasty!

-robert

3. that's most likely a ceramic bar magnet...and then the pole pieces are ferrous metal (aka steel ;) )...

that's a pretty common construction, especially for inexpensive pickups....there are some pretty good pickups that use similar construction techniques, however...DiMarzios make they're model P and model J's this way...

the thing that puzzles me, is why there are TWO bar magnets...(smaller ones are less expensive, maybe)

I don't really have a problem with these construction methods, I judge a pickup on how it sounds, not how it's built...

but definitely, when a pickup does what yours did, it can't sound good, hence it can't BE good. also, I don't see any shielding on these pickups...so I'll bet dollars to donuts, that they're noisy...they look VERY cheaply made.

4. WingKL

WingKL

May 12, 2007
    Surprisingly they did not seem noisy. Perhaps there isn't a lot of 60 hz leakage in my room and the highs are so rolled off that the buzz is muted. I'm doing a shielding job on the cavity "as we speak".

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021