Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The reason why we argue over politics and religion

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bradymccluer, Mar 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bradymccluer

bradymccluer

May 15, 2002
    i just read the post about abolishing political threads from talkbass. i can understand the reasoning behind to avoid the heated arguments.
    but i do disagree with the thought of completely getting rid of them.

the reason i like these kind of discussions is because its a way of using actual intelligence and creativity for expressing your opinions or coming up with a theory. except for the people that vent emotions on these threads. you should take emotions out on your instrument because its a lot less self-gratifying to argue in here.

i believe musicians in general are very intelligent and through the years that i've argued something in here i usually lose. right now i believe everyone in the world needs to use their intelligence. personally i don't trust the american government and i think we as a people need to discuss politics simply to get more people to care about it and vote. i've read in a few different places that our national voter turnout was less than 50%. i'm turning 18 in a month and planning on voting but i know a lot of other teenagers in this generation won't.

its 3 in the morning so a lot of this is just rambling on by an exhausted dude. i want to apologize for that if it bothers you. the only reason i typed this was because i was planning on starting a political thread but felt compelled to simply give the reason why instead of actually slamming any particular decision made by our government. make sense? no?
    i'm going to bed

2. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

How many of these threads have you actually read?

Honestly I don't think much comes of the political discussions around here which is why they have been banned yet again. I can't think of one thread where someone changed their mind and I can think of many where people either really went off the handle or misinterpreted comments etc etc...

I think the ban is good personally. This is a bass site meant for enjoyment.

How long until this thread is locked?

3. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    You can talk about politics in the lounge. But you gotta support to do that :)

4. Benbass

Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    Kansas
    Yeah, what Moley said! People have strong convictions and sometimes when those convictions are challenged they get angry or get their feelings hurt. The moratorium is just a good way to keep things friendly.

5. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    agreed. The halt on it in OT was a good thing--there were some "nasty" things being said, lots of misunderstandings and not productive to the site in the least(just like BassSax is saying)
    But...for some reason over in the Lounge those types of discussions are done in a more respectful manner...:)

6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I'm as opinionated as the average bear. That, and my politics tend to be a little unusual.

However, I FULLY support the ban on political topics in OT! They're just w-a-y too divisive.

7. Ever screwed a guitar ?

8. Best quote EVER!

9. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California

I think you're limiting yourself by thinking you can only be intelligent and creative in threads that deal with politics and religion.

You should think about this when you're not so tired.

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Easier said than done! The internet is a very flat medium and people always assume emotions are present, even if they aren't intended by the poster.

So I often write things -from my side - very logically and dispassionately and am then surprised that people get all upset about them - they have read an emotion that wasn't intended - but there is apparently no way to stop this? You can't avoid somebody seing something that isn't there - because...it isn't there! I can litter posts with smileys to indicate good humour and friendly chat - but people still take it the wrong way. :(

Also - these dicussions tend to "escalate" - so somebody reacts to what they see as a dig at them with a more obvious dig at the poster. So the original poster is annoyed that their general point has caused personal remarks and reacts with a response to that peronal remark and so on and so on, until what started as a very small disgareement is everybody polarised and chucking the most dire insults thay can think of .....within the guidlines or not!! :meh:

11. Unfortunately, we cannot assume that all musicians are intelligent. Past experience with political threads here have proved the contrary. We've developed a way to determine if one is intelligent enough to participate in political discussion here at TB - If you're smart enough to support the site, then you're probably smart enough to be allowed to talk politics. Of course, intelligence is not a permanent condition, so it's still possible to get shut down or booted out from the Lounge (or even TB) if one is unable to maintain a certain acceptable level of intelligence.

;)

12. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Polly's workin' on that one :D j/k

13. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    ...yeah, but so far bribes to the "Lounge Bouncer" seem to keep him off your back--so it's been a free-for-all in there!;) ;)

14. Bruce Lindfield

Of course that's not true and the Lounge/Lobby has been very civil and good-humoured.

I was wondering why, but after my last comment on this thread, thought of another reason.

So I was saying, the reason political threads degenerate IMO is that people "read things into" posts - I think this is only really possible where people don't know each other very well.

Whereas, in the Lounge most people know each other fairly well and so don't "misinterpret" so often - or at all really, so far! ;)

15. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Uh-oh - Bruce is here. Let the arguments begin!

:D ;)

16. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, and in an ideal world we wouldn't need police officers either.

sorry that you disagree with political threads being dropped - how about ponying up $20 and becoming a supporting member - we have all kinds of intelligent political discussions in the lobby, and it's not my job to clean them up either - w00t! :D

17. Bruce Lindfield

Nothing wrong with a good argument! It's just people getting all emotional and throwing personal insults that's the problem!! :mad:

;)

18. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I agree Bruce, It seems to me that too many people go into "argument mode" where everything you say is percieved as an attack, and they have to get emotional about it. I wish more people could just simmer down and have nice arguments, that would excersise their minds and maybe teach them something.

19. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Arguments get started when individuals either mis-interpret or understand perfectly what the other person was saying.

Religion and politics are going to be forever arguable because we all have certain guiding philosophies that work for us. But they don't work for everyone.

20. Here's something I read recently that I thought summed up the political threads around here:

Like a man travelling in foggy weather; Those at some distance before him on the road he sees wrapt up in the fog, as well as those behind, and also the people in the fields on each side; but near him appears clear. Tho' in truth he is as much in the fog as any of them.
    The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin.

Remind you of anyone?;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.