Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The rebirth of my shot R bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fello, Aug 23, 2003.

1. fello

fello

Nov 11, 2002
    London, UK
    Back In February, I found Myself in the middle of a gang related shooting, between 2 guys inside the Boston T Mass Av.Subway Station.I had my Bass in the gigbag on my back and a bullet hit the bass and stopped it.I didn't get hurt, thank God, but the bass got busted.I took the bass to Ray and he fixed for me,he had to change the top,and also I took the oportunity and did some changes to it.I changed the fingerboard to a 33" scale Ebony and had some Ebony pickup covers installed as well.I can't believe is the same bass, well , the same body at least.It plays and sounds as good , or even better than before, with the ebony board and the shorter scale.It took a while, Ray was repairing it in his spare time, but it was worth the wait.I'll post some before and after shots.:D[​IMG]

2. fello

fello

Nov 11, 2002
    London, UK
    another one[​IMG]

3. fello

fello

Nov 11, 2002
    London, UK
    The repaired bass[​IMG]

4. fello

fello

Nov 11, 2002
    London, UK
    another one[​IMG]

5. fello

fello

Nov 11, 2002
    London, UK
    I'm happy , now I've got 2 R basses.Here's a pic of the other one.Great basses indeed!!!![​IMG]

6. Wow...your bass actually saved your life. I think you should never sell that one dude.

I'm glad you're ok,and it looks like the guy did a fantastic job on the bass! can't even tell it got shot.Hehe. Also,usually red colored basses aren't my thing but I really like yours!

Well,have fun man:)

7. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Wow, I'm glad your ok.

You have a special bass, I agree don't ever get rid of it. The bass is awesome, I've heard alot of great stuff about Ray's basses, of course look who he had for a teacher.

8. Did they get the guy? is he in jail? I sure hope so!

9. fello

fello

Nov 11, 2002
    London, UK
    Nope, never got him!.A lady that was pregnant was struck too, and she lost her child later that day.
    I hope they catch the bastard some day,even though it's been a while already.:mad:

10. Oh my God...I hope that guy gets what he deserves!:mad:

Thats terrible!:bawl: :mad:

Grr...

11. hanales

hanales

Jul 12, 2003
    Youngstown, OH
    That was the shooting on the orange line a few months ago right?

My wife and I have refrained from traveling down there without each other since then by train.

Gorgeous axe, looks much nicer with the ebony IMHO.

12. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    thats so terrible...:(

13. Glad you finally got your RBass back. I think it looks fantastic. Ray as always is a stand up guy only out to make people happy.

14. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    THat is actually prety cool, that a bass saved your life, or at least saveed you great pain.

15. yea fello I'm glad you restored that bass.....if I was in your shoes I'd have done that too cuz it more than likely is a sentimental piece!

I gotta admit I think it looks prettier now, not just to mention a life-saver!

16. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Alfredo, looks great man! I have to ask though, what are all of those switches for on the new preamp? That's a lot of swithes!!!!:eek:

17. fello

fello

Nov 11, 2002
    London, UK
    Hi Andrew, well, about the switches, it's just the traditional HAzlab Configuration, like the one it used to have and got busted. balance, on/off, active passive,coil selector,and a midrange eq thats set up in the inside of the cavity with some pin swithches, the big knobs are Volume and Balance, and the small ones are Bass, Mids, and treble.Ray just set the up differently when he changed the top, similar to some Fodera Garrison's I've seen.

18. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    How do you like the six string?

19. That's a sad story to hear.

That is the coolest bass on the planet. Who else has a bass that has saved their life? My guess is no one.

"The Bullet Bass".

Geoff

20. bassmanjones

bassmanjones

Feb 23, 2002
    Boston, MA
    I was right about to ask you if you were in that same shooting. Man you were blessed that day.

Hey, do you play around the city at all? What kinds of music, etc?