The redesigned ESP LTD RB (Rocco Prestia) basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cv115505, Aug 22, 2018.

1. cv115505

cv115505 Supporting Member Commercial User

Sep 14, 2012
    Pittsburgh
    MJC Ironworks
    I am a big fan of this line. I think they are very under-advertised/underrated basses. I have a 4 and 5 string from the original release (Aguilar electronics, maple board, tilted Jazz pickup). I am considering one of the redesigned (Seymour pickups, passive electronics, ebony board, vertical jazz pickup) but I cannot find one to try out. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the new version. Do the changes make that much of a difference? Are the Seymour pickups hotter?

2. Mark76

Mark76

Dec 1, 2015
    Leicester
    You mean horizontal Jazz pick up. A vertical one would be practically useless :smug:

gebass6 likes this.
  3. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I know this thread is old, but I'm curious about this bass as well, particularly the RB-1005 5-string model. Passive with Duncans already appeals to me since I favor passive instruments and Duncans are my favorite pickups. I'm curious as to how the low B is and how the neck feels.

Zoobiedood likes this.
  4. jd56hawk

jd56hawk Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    [​IMG]

Nunovsky and Mark76 like this.
  5. Mark76

Mark76

Dec 1, 2015
    Leicester
    I forgot about those :D

6. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

I haven't seen the new Rocco bass in person, but like all the ESP LTD signature basses, they're scarce. I wouldn't hold my breath for anyone on TB to respond to your question. That said, LTD has really upped their game a lot in recent years, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one sight unseen. I'd expect it to be an excellent bass, just like the earlier version. Like you, I'm a fan of the original platform, and got fabulous deals on a as-new four and a fiver. Great basses, uber light weight, too. Is the original version discontinued now?

If I had one nit to pick with them it is that the back of the necks are too slick, I like a little more "tack" there to plant my thumb.

[​IMG]

7. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    These would be sweet if it weren't for those ghastly inlays.

8. Templar

Just came from the LTD site, evidently the new Rocco comes with SD Quarter Pounder PJ pickups. QP's have more heft, so I'd expect a big full sound. If QP's are your thing, LTD had a BB4 model with QP PJ pickups and a 3-band preamp that slays. Discontinued now, but used ones are out there. They came in natural and open-pore black like mine. Monster sounding bass, albeit the pre is a tad noisy.

[​IMG]

Nunovsky likes this.
  9. Templar

The ghastly inlays don't affect the sound or playability.

10. Sid the Kid

Sid the Kid Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Illinois
    Only thing I didn’t like about the bass is the side dot inlays. They are all the same shape and size. I was painfully unaware that in 20 years I have grown used to having 2 dots for the 12th fret.

I’m sure I could get used to it or apply a sticker. Just a small odd detail, else was absolutely killer.

11. Templar

That reminds me of the other niggle I have with the LTD Rocco bass....the side dots are good sized, but they're abalone. Abalone is hard to see in most lighting conditions, but when light hits abalone at a certain angle, the dots become completely invisible even under bright lights.

Same thing on the Conklin Groove Tools Rocco bass...abalone side dots. I bought little stick-on black dots for the Conklin Rocco, which solved the "disappearing side dots" issue. Makes me wonder if abalone was Rocco's idea or just some extra bling thrown in for no apparent reason.

By contrast, my USA Conklin has nice-sized MOP side dots that are clearly visible in all lighting conditions. They're bright white and aren't affected by changing light conditions.

12. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I have an Italia Modulo with the body coated in black MOTS. It's part of my little "Kitch" collection.

jd56hawk likes this.
  13. jd56hawk

jd56hawk Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    They look great, IMO.

14. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I agree.

jd56hawk likes this.
  15. cv115505

cv115505 Supporting Member Commercial User

Sep 14, 2012
    Pittsburgh
    MJC Ironworks
    Let me know if you ever plan to offload that 4 string!

16. ab2112

ab2112 Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2015
    Bump the zombie thread - anyone have any feedback on the newer version (rosewood, passive Duncans) versus the older ones (maple, active Aguilar)? Rocco bass enthusiasts need to know.

17. Looks like the newest versions have Ebony fretboards and Duncan 1/4 # p/j set.

Street price looks to be $1299 on the 4 and $1399 on the 5 stringer. I haven’t seen a current 6 string offered.

nonohmic likes this.
  18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 28, 2022