Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Residents

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Petary791, Sep 10, 2005.

1. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Can anyone suggest me some good Residents songs? I have "Hello Skinny" and it's pretty cool.

2. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    NET
    Try to get hold of the Oslo concert video. Amazing, and particularly for the guitar playing of Snakefinger (RIP).

3. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    So it's not a CD? I'm more interested in songs, but if I come across it, i'll check it out. :)

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I guess Primus also covered Constantinole... I've only heard the original. The song "Sinister Exagurator" is also a Residents song (Primus covered it on the Misc Debris album). I don't know, there stuff is really hard to find. The album "Duck Stab" seems to be their most popular.

My spelling sucks today.

5. genderblind

genderblind

Oct 21, 2004
    Montreal
    "Dumbo The Clown {who loved Christmas}" if you can find it, is a tasty delight indeed.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Definitely the Duck Stab/Buster and Glen album represents the Residents at their best. Fingerprince is also a very good one mainly because of Youyesyesyes and Six Things To a Cycle, as is Stars and Hank Forever (combination of Sousa marches and Hank Williams Sr. songs), and Third Reich And Roll is good if you like freaked out versions of 50's songs that sound like Hitler singing them.

But my favorite Residents album is the Warner Bros. Album, which is only available as a bootleg. The Residents hate this album and vowed it would never be released, but it has leaked out as a bootleg, and though totally different from subsequent albums, it's got a lot of wit and charm. "Everyday I Masturbate On A Merican Fag" is worth getting the album alone.

I don't care for later albums, though. Once sampling synths became available, they started doing everything on them instead of using real instruments and toys, and they lost something after that.

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    There cover of "This is a Man's World" is awesome. :D

8. I love THE COMMERCIAL ALBUM

killer!!!

9. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Yep, Primus covered "Constantinople" or however you spell that song. That's sooooo hard to play.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

10. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    Wow big residents fan here...saw the live in Cleveland in the early 80's cool show. try Walter Westinghouse or anything of comm album...smelly tounges....easter women a very cool and diffrent band...funny thing is did you guys know that a couple of the residents were women?

11. Not sure why you'd think the original lineup of the Residents included a lady, doesn't seem to be the case based on the voices heard in the songs. But, who knows? Certainly there's one now.

I'd suggest "Mahogany Wood" as a track to check out. Can be found on the "Not Available" CD, although it's technically a duo recording with Renaldo and the Loaf and the Residents.

12. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Yeah!!! Every selection is exactly 1 minute long, and most are hilarious and extremely clever.
    I thought I was the only person on the planet who was familiar with it...

13. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    Well i saw them live for the first time they toured for the commercial album (Great). If the two petite players in the group with shapley hips and 2 pointy things sticking out on on their chests in the black spandex suits were not girls then :eek: I had the wrong thoughts :eyebrow: Yea they were girls...snake finger was there also. I taked with Fred Firth who played with the Residents after a show in the eightys also cool guy...said the Residents were rad.

14. teleharmonium

teleharmonium

Dec 2, 2003
    Personally, the Commercial Album, Fingerprince, and Third Reich n' Roll are faves, but really the videos (the old ones especially) are the most crucial thing to check out.

15. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    Yea i remember one where they were dressed in foil and another newspaper. I had an old home recording of a fake interview N.Senada did in a radio studio where the radio host started making fun of the residents and you hear them chanting the end of Walter Westinghouse and this tribal drumming getting louder as the Residents enter the studio and get the host knocking the station off the air. It was funny great stuff!

16. Futurebass

Futurebass

Jun 22, 2005
    I luckily had the opportunity to meet and play with him. He was the real thing. Gentleman and great musician.

17. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    Very cool...tell us the story :)