Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Return (again) of the Pirate Monkey!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Eric Cameron, Dec 2, 2003.

1. Yes, I am back (again.) My time was way mroe limited than I had orignally thought, namely I would come home from work, eat, then fall asleep.

But now, I shall be here for at least the next 20 minutes!! I shall try to poke my head in every day, but there is no guarentee on that. But as of December 31st, I shall no longer be employeed by Guitar Center. I feel that I have been very badly treated by Corporate, so I am going away. I will be going back to school full time, and trying to get a part time job, maybe at a bank or library, someplace quiet.

Other than hating my job, nothing has changed. Still engaged to Meghan, still living at home. Have a few more instruments than last time, a new Schecter Promo Hot Rod guitar and a Special Ordered Spector Rebop 4str. When I get my digital camera back I will take pictures.

Glad to see that most of the cool people that I remember are still here. Now where's Spanky? I need to hit him with a chicken.

Rock on
    Eric

2. odie

odie Supporting Member

Nice seeing you around!! I have heard GC is a tough gig.

3. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Good to see you Eric. I apparently missed your going away party, so I was worried when I hadn't seen you for awhile! :)

Hope all goes well with the GC bid'ness.

4. Well, the final straw was finding out that I was working 50-60 hours a week, selling PA's to colleges, Nike, Portland Speakers Bureau, and various churchs and business through-out Oregon and in a few cases international, and my friend who works at the McDonalds up the street making French fries was getting paid more than me. He's not a manager or anything, either.

I've worked there for a year and a half now. I have not been promoted, and have seen a grand total of $740 in commision, for (in my carreer) selling $375,000 worth of merchandise. Last month my commission check was $190, after selling $28,675. It's an insult. Plus I am seeing people who work just as hard as I do, and in some cases less hard, getting larger paychecks because they happen to work in Pro Audio, while I'm still stuck in Accessories.

Rant over. Corporate will be hearing about this at the end of the year. Not harshly or with any vulgarity, but concise and rational.

Rock on
    Eric

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    gorillas are apes not monkeys :mad: :spit: :D

6. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I too worked at GC, but I had it worse than you: I was an assistant manager. 50-60 hour weeks, and making 1/3 of what the laziest PA guy was. Ugh.

Welcome back to real life!

7. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Glad to see you're back. All of the old faces seem to be popping it- it's pretty cool. :)

8. Really? Which store? Not the dreaded 220, I hope. I heard all sorts of horror stories from there about winos pissing on the guitars and such.

Rock on
    Eric