Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The return of G.A.S.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chris4001asat, Aug 2, 2004.

1. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    I finally convinced myself not to buy that gold flaked Sterling, when I sauntered into a store I haven't been into awhile. After I exchanged pleasantries with the staff, they tell me they're going out of business due to Guitar Center moving in. Everything's 40% off. They always carried real cheap line stuff, but I looked around anyway. That's when I came upon an 8string Dean Rhapsody. Mahogany body with a bubinga top. All for $400! I will now use a word I never thought I'd use. It sounded real phat!

2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Everything 40% off? I wish GC was moving in here, too :D :smug:

Thats a tough one. Some questions I'd ask myself if i were you:
    Do you have the money for it?
    Do you like it?
    Do you think you will use it?

3. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Good questions! Do I have the money for it. Sort of, it's only $400 so it won't really break me. I really liked it, absolutely beautiful. Sounded amazing, but the novelty might wear off. Will I use it? Not for every song, but it would definitely help out some of the songs we do.

4. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Wait right there - $400 is actually high for that bass. They're $375 brand new all day from Maggio Music and that's not a special price.

Example: GC likes to say "40% off" and such, but they just mean 40% off MSRP or "list" price. Every time GC has a "sale" they're just advertising %-ages off list, which is - tadaa - just the regular price. A true "sale" is a % off actual retail, not suggested retail.

Offer them less.

5. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Really? Musicians Friend had them for $575.

6. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Well, Maggio Music and Music Farm are two retailers that sell brand-new instruments on eBay - that's how much they go for there - since it's brand new and has a 375 BuyItNow, I count that as a sale price. I've bought 2 instruments from Music Farm myself, perfect right off the shelf when they arrived via UPS, and I have emailed back and forth with Maggio but haven't bought from them.

7. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Wow, Thanks for the heads up. Just got an email back from Maggio, 399.99. I really thought I was getting a deal over there. I just might head back there and see what they have to say.