Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The return of the...

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Infamous Bax, Aug 5, 2003.

1. Infamous Bax

Infamous Bax

Apr 14, 2002
    Orlando, Fl
    I just thought I'd take another shot at "joining in". I'm starting work on a new CD that will be mostly bass instrumental tunes. Anyone got any insights in to how is the best way to record the bass and how to get the best sound? Maybe someone might have some ideas I haven't tried yet. Thanks. BAX www.theinfamousbax.com

2. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    For some basic advice:

I recommend recording bass dry through a DI and adding any effects/enhancements/etc after recording. You could also split the signal and mike a favorite amp or just use a different pre. Then after recording you can blend the two tracks to your liking or toss out one altogether.

Not sure what other info you are looking for. More specifics from you would help.

3. Infamous Bax

Infamous Bax

Apr 14, 2002
    Orlando, Fl
    Great. That's what I've been doing. What about compression? I like a lot of compression it makes the bass sound solid. Is this way most pro's do it? BAX www.theinfamousbax.com

4. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Compression is fine but once again, I would add it AFTER you record. Put it down dry and tweak the signal later.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

6. Infamous Bax

Infamous Bax

Apr 14, 2002
    Orlando, Fl
    Thanks for your insight on the recording stuff. That's how I've been doing it but I just wanted to know if it was the right way or not.

And just so there is no confusion about my name....

Main Entry: in·fa·mous
    Pronunciation: 'in-f&-m&s
    Function: adjective
    Etymology: Middle English, from Latin infamis, from in- + fama fame
    Date: 14th century
    1 : having a reputation of the worst kind
    2 : causing or bringing infamy : DISGRACEFUL
    3 : convicted of an offense bringing infamy
    - in·fa·mous·ly adverb

It in no way is to imply that I am great or famous. Thanks.