Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Reverend Horton Heat.....Haleluja!!!

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Deano Destructo, Nov 22, 2002.

1. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I went and saw the Reverend Horton Heat play last night here in Austin. They throw one of the most amazing shows I think I've seen. I've just recently gotten into the whole Psycho/rockibilly scene and I really like it quite a bit. I'm considering buying a upright bass and studying this style. I'm suprised there are not any threads or mention of this band at all or their bassist Jimbo. I set talking to them aftrward and Jimbo's a great guy, hugely talented. I told them I would see them on the last leg of there tour again in Seattle and he told me come up to the gig about 4 when we get there and we'll hang out, if the bus doors open walk on in. He's also going so sign a piece of wood for me that I'll be mounting on my bass. Their a great band if you've never heard them, give them a listen. www.reverendhortonheat.com :D

2. Great! He rules alright :D Always loved 'The Devil's Chasing Me'

3. I know I shouldn't judge a bass by its paint job, but I do.

4. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Whats wrong with the paint job? Not a big fan of flames huh? I kind of like it but I'm a bigger fan of Bill Black's black bass with white trim:D .

5. They're a hell of a band. Glad you liked them.

I once had an opportunity to open for them (see rant here), and I couldn't help but laugh at the disparity in setups. I walk offstage toting my basic, unassuming, wood-colored bass and my entire amp setup (AI Contra) in one hand, while Jimbo practially needed a forklift to move his monstrous Mesa 8x10 cab onstage. The thunder that erupted from that stage was truly something to behold.

6. sean p

sean p

Mar 7, 2002
    eugene, oregon
    how's this jimbo fella play through a huge cabinet (presumably with a huge amp) and not get feedback galore? does he use a hollow wooden instrument with strings?

maybe some of you guyses who've seen the band (i'm marking my calendar for the oregon dates) have some clues?

sean p

7. My guess is that he uses a magnetic pickup on his DB. By all appearances, he was playing a hollow DB, but it sure sounded like a thunderously loud and hyper-EQ'ed EB to me. My (limited) understanding of magnetic DB pickups is that with enough volume and EQ they can make practically any DB sound like the Plank From Hell with virtually zero feedback, hence Jimbo's feedback-free thunder.

8. Buddy Lee

Buddy Lee

May 5, 2002