The revolving bassists of The Beach Boys

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by IMMusicRulz, Aug 25, 2020.

1. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    FWIW, I opened up for the Beach Boys a couple of Summers ago and Bruce Johnston was THE nicest guy in the world. He hung out with us, told stories, took photos, etc. And I must say, Mike Love was pretty cool, too. I had a newfound respect for him when I watched the way he worked the crowd. He's nowhere near the best singer in the band (they had the late Jeff Foskett with them doing the most perfect Carl Wilson voice), but Mike Love is an excellent frontman on stage.

bobyoung53, nixdad, makaspar and 5 others like this.
  2. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    It may have been, but so have carrots and Muskrat Love, so you're cool.

Love MMM! The production design is to die for and the cinematography is... cinematic. S2, E1 the scene where they're all dancing at the resort — I swear that was a single take.

To your point, yes -- and I also read that CK was NOT thrilled with the homage.

3. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    I love The Beach Boys. You really can’t deny their impact on American pop music or their ability to capture American culture at the time.

4. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    Ha!

5. consectaneus

consectaneus

Sep 23, 2016
    That's good to hear. I saw that iteration of the Beach Boys several years ago, and while there may be a question of how it can be called the Beach Boys at this point, it was a fun and entertaining way to spend a balmy California evening.

6. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    The California Girls of the Beach Boys ended, along with their endless summer, with the advent of the Eagles and their much darker vision.

Peteyboy likes this.
  7. Pirate Captain

Pirate Captain Elitist Jazz Snob ********

Dec 22, 2016
    Upstate, NY USA
    Blondie Chaplain played bass on Sail on Sailor (not sure how much more of Holland he played on)

bobyoung53, jerry, Haroldo and 2 others like this.
  8. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Yes, when that episode appeared there were a multitude of posts about it.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
  9. Michedelic

That was an endless summer only for some people. There wasn’t much surfing in Watts or in the orange groves. The entire world’s vision got darker in the 70’s, not just in CA.

bobyoung53 likes this.
  10. consectaneus

consectaneus

Sep 23, 2016
    He is also credited on bass in several songs on the 1972 live album "Beach Boys In Concert".

nixdad and Pirate Captain like this.
  11. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    Don't hear that too often.

bobyoung53, jerry and Haroldo like this.
  12. Michedelic

Love is just good at bring a con man. Jardine won’t have anything to do with him. The true, authentic experience is to have seen Brian live. He is backed by a virtual Wrecking Crew tribute band, everything is in place, all accomplished players. Al(and Blondie)sit in with them. One time I saw them with Jeff Beck opening, and even he sat in with them.

bobyoung53 and Pirate Captain like this.
  13. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    No argument. But I was responding to @Peteyboy's post, which was framed in the context of California. Those other things you mentioned did not have the platform of Beach Boys and Eagles recordings to exert their influence.

nixdad likes this.
  14. wow that is a tuff one there were so many
    Ron Brown was left off the list I think along with
    Ed Carter, James Guercio, Joe Chemay,Ernie Knapp, Luther Coffee,Putter Smith,Chris Farmer,
    Mike D'Amico that I could find :)

nixdad likes this.
  15. Pirate Captain

Dec 22, 2016
    Upstate, NY USA
    true
    ...he's amazing...and I love HOLLAND as much as I love PET SOUNDS (in its own way)

bobyoung53 and nixdad like this.
  16. Pirate Captain

Dec 22, 2016
    Upstate, NY USA
    And...honestly...I don't think there's been much of any kind of "endless" anything except for torment in Brian's mind even back then

17. bassinflorida

bassinflorida turn that dang thing down

Jan 27, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Ditto to that!

18. bassinflorida

Jan 27, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Agree about their impact. Just not a fan.

jmattbassplaya likes this.
  19. bassinflorida

Jan 27, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    This may already be in the Talkbass bin of history, but has Carole Kaye ever visited Talkbass?

20. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    probably for one thing I believe she was playing guitar during that era, and I don't know if she would have been in a mixed race band starting a tour in NYC to LasVegas to Miami to overseas. I was 2 years late to MMM but that doesn't matter anymore. It's certainly up there with The Prisoner for production design accolades. I hope they do as many seasons as Gilmore Girls, I believe that goes on and on as if in a loop

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021