The revolving bassists of The Beach Boys

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by IMMusicRulz, Aug 25, 2020.

1. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    Carol Kaye Says The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel Made Her into a "Cartoon"

2. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    bobyoung53 likes this.
  3. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    Not for me, I got enough of my own.

Maybe she wanted a little something, you know, for the effort.

consectaneus likes this.
  4. Roger W

Roger W Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2019
    Baltimore USA
    Me. Never cared for them at all.

5. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    I really like the Beach Boys. But I love Brian Wilson.

6. IMMusicRulz

IMMusicRulz Commercial User

Aug 3, 2020
    Atlanta, GA
    I am a semi-professional musician
    Joe Chemay was also a great bass player for the BBS, in my opinion.

He also played bass on Come On Over by Shania Twain

nixdad likes this.
  7. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Has Jeff Foskett passed? I knew he was battling cancer, but was not aware that he had died. His Facebook page has a recent post from 8/20.
    Jeff's voice is amazing, and I agree the texture of his voice and falsetto is the best in the business at reproducing either Brian or Carl Wilson's lead vocal or harmony parts.

One of my favorite live albums. Ed Carter was the primary touring bassist during this era. Here's a clip of Sloop John B from this album. Take a few minutes to give this a listen as there is some tasty bass playing. Headphones on!

Rod Clark is the bassist on "Kokomo." Rod is an L.A. bassist, a good guy, and was a customer of mine in the 80's and 90's. I custom ordered this pink Spector for Rod in '81 or '82, which may be the bass he used on Kokomo:
    Pink Spector.jpg
    I remember Rod sharing with me that he was recording with The Beach Boys, sharing the some of the good and the bad. I have always been a huge BB's fan since I was a kid, and wish I remembered more about what he had told me. I believe he said Carl was a sweetheart (I concur, I had the opportunity to meet Carl in '85,) and that Carl loved to have the bass right behind him when the band performed live. I was saddened to hear how political things were within the band, and that when they performed the stage was literally sectioned out excluding certain members from entering the personal space of other members under the threat of being fined if they trespassed.

For anyone who's not a fan of The Beach Boys but are a fan of music, I recommend listening to Pet Sounds with headphones on, even the versions you can find on Youtube with the vocals removed - the music itself is amazing, and unbelievable that these compositions were imagined by a 23 year old kid. Afterward, listen again with the incredible vocal harmonies added in - there's nothing else like it.

I also recommend listening to the album "Surf's Up."

columnated ruins domino...

8. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Oh my, I hope I’m wrong. I thought I had heard that, but if he posted something in August of this year I assume that rumors of his demise have been exaggerated. Apologies for even putting that energy out there in the universe because he is a real treasure. His singing of Carl’s parts made my eyes very watery when we opened that show.

bobyoung53 and nixdad like this.
  9. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Bob Lizik who does a lot of Brian's solo stuff is awesome!

MLysh and nixdad like this.
  10. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yep, I believe Jeff is still with us, and Lord willin’ he’ll recover and get back to performing. :)

What’s your favorite Carl Wilson tune?

Bob is awesome! We saw Bob with Brian when he and his band performed Pet Sounds at The Hollywood Bowl nearly 20 years ago.

bobyoung53 likes this.
  11. consectaneus

consectaneus

Sep 23, 2016
    Jeff Foskett nailed the climbing falsetto verses on "Don't Worry Baby" when I caught the 50th Anniversary tour in Eugene Oregon in 2012. That band had a terrific roster of supporting musicians/vocalists. Brian played bass on some songs. Mike D'Amico of the Wondermints (Brian's longtime backing group) played bass the rest of the time IIRC.

bobyoung53 and nixdad like this.
  12. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Picks of 3 Beach Boy bassists:
    IMG_0732.jpg

13. Al Jardine also played upright bass on their first single, Surfin', from 1961

Also live here from 2018:

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
    nixdad likes this.
  14. I saw them at the Yale Bowl in 1977, Brian was on piano and Bruce Johnston on bass.

nixdad likes this.

15. Jeff foskett is still with us.

nixdad and Ross Kratter like this.

16. Some of that album is keyboard (Moog?) bass, but I think he played on several tunes on that album, it's one of my favorite BB albums. You can really hear the moog on this beautiful track, Carl Wilson composer and singing lead:

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
    nixdad and jerry like this.
  17. nixdad likes this.
  18. I would imagine most of you here have seen this but it's a painstaking recreation of Surf's Up but The Fendertones, if you're a beach boy fan and have never seen these guys' videos you owe it to yourself:

They had a little help from a few famous guests on this one

nixdad likes this.
  19. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Those early 70's Beach Boys albums have always been some overlooked gems. IMHO

bobyoung53 likes this.
  20. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    That’s one of my favorite Carl tracks - thanks for posting!
    Carl was amazing. I’m fortunate that I got to see him with his band solo in ‘81 or ‘82, with The Beach Boys in ‘83 (just before Dennis died) and again in the 90’s, and had the chance to meet him in ‘85 during rehearsals for the Chuck Berry/Bo Diddley All-Star Jam which featured many top musicians as the backing band.
    Chris & Carl v2.png

Yes. I worked for Kaman Music in the mid-90’s, and for years the band would order the picks for all of the guitarists and bassists through Kaman prior to their tours. One of the guys in our office kept a sample of each pick on hand so we’d know what they wanted (a few were taped to a card, so you can still see the tape residue on the Ed Carter and Bruce Johnston picks.) He knew I was a big Beach Boys fan, so before I left in ‘97 he gave me the collection of picks as a souvenir. I was overjoyed that a Brian Wilson pick was included in the bunch, as us BB fans know that Brian used his thumb with the tugbar and hadn’t played much bass since the early 60’s.

Thanks for posting, Bob. I’ve seen this before - it’s fantastic.
    One of the things I loved about the BB’s is how they shared lead vocal duties on many of their songs, maybe more than any other group during the era or since. The original recording of Surf’s Up is a good example of this as the first half of the song features Carl on lead vocals, and the 2nd half is Brian.

bobyoung53 likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021