The revolving bassists of The Beach Boys

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by IMMusicRulz, Aug 25, 2020.

1. I didn't know that, I thought it was all Brian, I'll listen closer next time I play it I think it all just overwhelms me so much when I listen to music as good as that rather than analyze it I just enjoy which is not my usual mode, of course I usually blast the bass too:laugh: which covers up a lot of the mids. I'm listening with the bass down now and Brian sounds a little more nasal that Carl did, thanks.

nixdad likes this.
  2. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    You bet! I don’t recall if this is the only tune where Carl and Brian shared lead vocal duties. Carl and Brian’s voices are very similar, so it’s tough to tell them apart.

bobyoung53 likes this.
  3. kohanmike

kohanmike Gold Supporting Member

I find it so amazing when coincidences occur. On the Ukulele Underground forum today, a post came up for people to do a video of a song about the beach and ocean. I decided on "Surfin' USA" and uploaded a track my group recorded last year and the original Beach Boys album cover. Then I see this thread that I didn't notice before. Amazing.

nixdad and bobyoung53 like this.

4. Even Dennis's voice sounded similar, same vibrato, I have noticed that people that play together seems to pick that up eventually. I bend notes on my bass just like a lead guitarist I played with for years.

nixdad likes this.
  5. Wambemando

Wambemando

Apr 26, 2020
    bobyoung53 likes this.
  6. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    You're right, that's something I hadn't noticed before. It becomes apparent as Dennis pushes his voice. Dennis has a bit of a rasp to his voice not evident in Brian or Carl, so he's typically pretty easy to pick out from his brothers.

bobyoung53 likes this.

7. Looks like #20 and #21 were the Beach Boys alone and all played together from #18 to #24 except for #20 and #21..

Riot in Cellblock #9 is great. Good version of Good Vibrations in there too. Bluesy Help Me Rhonda, really good version. Okie From Muskogee, Mike singing lead and Jerry playing lead. They sounded great together.

I like those tune up sessions, brings me back, I was playing in those days too.

Sugar Magnolia, Deal, Me & My Uncle, Bird Song, Playing In The Band, Dire Wolf, Searchin'*, Riot In Cell Block #9*, Good Vibrations**, I Get Around**, Help Me Rhonda*, Okie From Muskogee*, Johnny B. Goode*, Sing Me Back Home, Uncle Johns Band > Turn On Your Love Light

*with the Beach Boys
    **Just the Beach Boys: Good Vibrations, I Get Around.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
    nixdad and Wambemando like this.
  8. Pirate Captain

Pirate Captain Elitist Jazz Snob ********

Dec 22, 2016
    Upstate, NY USA
    it's their second best album, imo

9. What do you think is their best?

nixdad likes this.
  10. IMMusicRulz

IMMusicRulz Commercial User

Aug 3, 2020
    Atlanta, GA
    I am a semi-professional musician
    I think Spirit Of America, despite the fact that it is a compilation. :)

nixdad and bobyoung53 like this.
  11. Pirate Captain

Pirate Captain Elitist Jazz Snob ********

Dec 22, 2016
    Upstate, NY USA
    come on man...be a Pisces, jam

IMMusicRulz and bobyoung53 like this.

12. I am a Pisces and love to jam!:laugh:

Pirate Captain likes this.
  13. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Allow me to introduce myself. Never cared for them.

14. A man of wealth and taste?

nixdad likes this.
  15. IMMusicRulz

Aug 3, 2020
    Atlanta, GA
    Here's a nice picture of James William Guercio (their onetime manager) playing a Hofner bass:

jimmy-guercio_1_orig.png

bobyoung53 likes this.
  16. Herrick

Herrick

Jul 21, 2010
    Munchkin Land
    Her bass sounds so damn good in those clips.

nixdad and IMMusicRulz like this.
  17. IMMusicRulz

Aug 3, 2020
    Atlanta, GA
    026FD3AE-3870-44F1-97FE-46F0DDF4AC58.jpeg I recently got an autographed picture from Beach Boys keyboardist/bassist Bruce Johnston. Pretty decent guy

consectaneus likes this.
  18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021