1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Rex Brown-sound

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by NKUSigEp, Aug 17, 2007.

1. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    I've done some searching and haven't really been able to find much on the topic. I know the standard stuff - Spector basses, Ampeg amps. So what else is involved with Pantera/Down bassist's sound? GuitarGeek says a Morley wah and a Rocktron Blue Thunder preamp. Any fact to this? Anything else going on there in the way of FX or "tricks"?

EDIT: Mostly interested in the more recent stuff - "Reinventing the Steel" and on

2. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    Drink a lot. Play with a pick.

Sourav90 likes this.
  3. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    It depends on which Rex sound. In the early days of CFH and Vulgar, it was Jackson/Charvel basses and Ampegs. Listen to his live tone in this video. Brutal!

4. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    Sorry - Reinventing the Steel through his Down/Rebel Meets Rebel and other material.

5. one

one

Aug 21, 2006
    Boston.UK
    I also know he's played through a MXR M-80 at some point!

6. erodus

erodus

Jan 18, 2007
    Virginia
    My best guess after seeing some pics of his setup a while back and some pantera videos, for recording he probably used a sansamp(rbi maybe) and a 70's SVT and a spector bass. Any other effects are a mystery to me.

7. I think the "Reinventing the Steel" tone is my favorite metal bass tone of all time.

I just got a Sansamp RBI, and I am extremely happy with how my Warwick Thumb (played with a pick) sounds through it for metal. There is alot of the same tone there, I have a feeling if I had a Spector or something with a similar pickup configuration I would be very, very, close to Rex's tone.

8. Spector. Ampeg. Pick. Attitude. Learn them, live them, love them. And you'll get pretty close. :D

9. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    Spector - Check
    Ampeg - Will Aguilar do for the moment?
    Pick - Check (Still prefer my fingers though)
    Attitude - Check
    Skills - still working on 'em after over a decade

I was just seeing if there was anything more to his rig than the Ampegs and Spectors.

10. TheDarkReaver

TheDarkReaver Banned

Mar 20, 2006
    Lincolnshire, UK
    :p that made me laugh quite a bit :D

11. csholtmeier

csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    That Domination vid is five of the best minutes in metal. It still raises the hair on the back of my neck.

If you watch the Pantera videos, you'll notice he used a black Stingray a lot in the studio.

12. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    Yeah that's all fine and good but I'm more interested in the more recent stuff. I think his sound with Down is his best work ever.

13. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    [mod edit] that barely qualifies as metal. That "groove metal" stuff is just hard rock.

14. uhhhhhhhhhhh

15. erodus

erodus

Jan 18, 2007
    Virginia
    lol, are you the metal referee? just hard rock? :eyebrow: just because phil doesn't cookie monster his vocals on each song doesn't mean it's hard rock. but to each its own I guess

16. funkytranki

funkytranki

Apr 14, 2007
    Get a five string and boost the bass on the eq.
    <play with a pick...and play hard!!
    Also remembre that what's important to understand about his sound is that pantera had only one guitarist and that, often, during the solos, there was no rhythm guital at all.
    That's why his sound manages to be so deep, profound but still
    very clear.
    And be GROOVY...

17. beggar98

beggar98

Jan 23, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I read an interview around GTSK, and he talked about boosting his eq right around 2k, which enhances grit and helps you cut through. I know at that time he played Spectors and that signature Fernandes he had for a while, and that he used a Sansamp BDDI.

18. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    Thanks for your input but looking strictly for his gear other than the Spectors and Ampegs. I can tell ya right now that the bass isn't boosted as much as ya think but there are hella mids!

LOL THANKS!

19. MacNilly

MacNilly

Jul 27, 2007
    Rex Brown, possibly THE most underrated metal bassplayer of this century. I love his backfills and how he keeps the songs interesting even while dimebag goes on a complete tangent. Rex holds it down, hardcore, with style, period. His tone is to kill for. :bassist:

I don't care what gear you've got, you're not even likely to being close to even touchin' rex brown.

20. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    It's fun as hell to play too!