Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The REX issue - solved

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PanteraFan, Dec 27, 2002.

1. You may have read my debacle about my REX 2000/5, and the sucky way in which Rotosound UK handled the order. I was left with a black stain REX, and wanting a Holoflash black REX, which Rotosound had told me would be an extra £80. In fact, it would be £80 for any colour other than black.

I wasn't happy.

So today, I go in to my store to talk to my contact about sending back the black REX and getting a Holoflash. My contact has quit the store and hasn't been seen since Monday. No problems, I have more friends there. The black REX is still downstairs, and after talking through with the inventory manager, I discover that a 6-12 week wait will be needed for the new bass. And £80. So, I break the black stain REX out of the freight box(£220 of it is mine anyway) and get playing, while my drummer and a couple of guys watch. To my surprise, all three went 'ooh' as the box opened and they saw the bass. I say 'What's so special?' They say 'Look at it from over here.'. And I'll be damned if the bass didn't look a million dollars! The maple is at least AAA, and the stain changed from a full black trans under white light to a purple trans under incandescent. It looks like the REX 2000/5 from the Spector site, pictured below. I also plugged it in to an Ashdown combo and sat with it for 20 minutes. It truly is one of the best basses I've ever played.

It isn't going back. I'm paying for it Tuesday. Pics will be here on New Year's Day.

[​IMG]

2. Congrats man, they are sweet basses. I can't put mine down. And I told you in the last thread that the quilt looks WAY better under the light.:)

3. This highlight what the figuring is like. This bass, five string, with a black bridge and a diamond control layout:

[​IMG]

4. ....so it doesn't look like a "dog's rectum" after all?
    ;)

I wonder what Jason Newsted did with all those longhorn Spectors he had custom built in the black stain finish, before he dumped Spector and had all the Sadowsky's built.
    I wouldn't mind one of those.....

5. It looks like a dog's rectum when it looks like this:

[​IMG]

That's what it looked like before.

6. anyone got a pic of a dog's rectum so we can compare the two?

7. Here you are:

[​IMG]

:D

8. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Hey, Dubya -- I've never seen you look so tempting!

I'd do him!

:D :eek:

9. Alright, you jus' kep them hans to yesself, boy!