1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Rickenbacker Club Part Twelve

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Somethings messed up. Without pics or meter readings of the unconnected pots, can't tell what's wrong.

If it's new, why not return it to the dealer?

2. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Did Ric label their pups with dates or is there another way to date your pups?

3. plav1959

plav1959

May 7, 2016
    Orlando, FL
    Have to contact Wildwood. It’s the Montezuma limited edition.

4. Aceonbass

Aceonbass Commercial User

Apr 10, 2004
    Parkville,Mo.
    Are you left handed? Because RIC builds left handed harnesses reverse of the way they build right handed ones, therefore the taper is reversed, but I would think the pot would take a little over 1/3 of a turn to get to the point you describe. Unfortunately RIC doesn't use left handed pots (they're scarce and more expensive), and for that same reason, neither do I when I build a harness. Ideally, I'd like to use linear taper pots (which are reversible) made by CTS in the same dished back style the RIC and I currently use. I think that style would be preferred by most, but unfortunately I'd have to order 1000 or so pots at a time. It was only a few years ago that CTS started making 500k dished back pots with a solid shaft again. Before that I had to buy the flat backed style, but those weren't "correct" for Rick's, and couldn't be used for restoring the wiring in vintage Ricks.

5. plav1959

plav1959

May 7, 2016
    Orlando, FL

6. plav1959

plav1959

May 7, 2016
    Orlando, FL
    No, right handed. They only made 15 of the Wildwood Montezuma Amberglo and I believe they were all righties.

byoung93888 likes this.
  7. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    Wildwood will take care of you, and would probably replace the pot themselves if you want them to.
    That would save quite a chunk of time on the turnaround.

byoung93888 likes this.
  8. plav1959

plav1959

May 7, 2016
    Orlando, FL
    Yeah I’m not concerned about Wildwood at all. Just wondering if anyone had seen something similar.

superdick2112 and byoung93888 like this.
  9. plav1959

plav1959

May 7, 2016
    Orlando, FL
    I'll try to post a video later just to see if I haven't lost my mind....

10. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    What is your signal chain? Something like this can also happen if you plug a passive instrument into something looking for a line-level signal...

11. plav1959

plav1959

May 7, 2016
    Orlando, FL
    Operator error. A couple of bad cables. Sorry for the confusion...

JMacBass65, DaveSill and byoung93888 like this.
  12. bstringrandy

bstringrandy Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2004
    Jacksonville, FL
    I thought about posting this in the Strings forum, but thought I'd get a faster answer here.

I'm looking to replace the strings on my 2017 4003W. What strings does Rickenbacker ship these with? I'm happy with the strings that are on it, and would like to avoid truss rod craziness if possible. I dug around on the Rickenbacker web site but didn't see any info on stock strings. Thanks!!

StrangerBasses likes this.
  13. Rics ship with Ric strings and nobody is sure, and Ric isn’t saying, who makes them. The E and G are standard gauge .45 and .105. I forget what the A and D are. They can be found at Ric’s site, IIRC, and retailers like Sam Ash. Pick of the Ricks has them too.

byoung93888 and bstringrandy like this.
  14. byoung93888 and bstringrandy like this.
  15. bstringrandy

Aug 18, 2004
    Jacksonville, FL
    Thanks! I knew i came to the right place!!

Wow! At $53.49 plus shipping, they are certainly proud of them and I can see why they won't ID the manufacturer. :) That's almost Thomastik Infeld $$$ territory!

I wonder if a set of DR High-Beam Mediums 45-105 would be comparable in tension?

woodyng2 likes this.
  16. Aceonbass

Aceonbass Commercial User

Apr 10, 2004
    Parkville,Mo.
    D'Addario EXL170'S are very similar strings, but I prefer their balanced tension strings. I think the E is .107.

byoung93888 likes this.
  17. BK bassist

BK bassist "Apollo's Ghost" Gold Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY
    WHAT?!?! $53.49 ... Waaaaaaaaay too much money ...

Here's where I buy Ric strings for my 4003 ... $26.99 per set

Rickenbacker 95511 Electric Bass 4 String Set (45-105) | SamAsh

18. bstringrandy

Aug 18, 2004
    Jacksonville, FL
    Sam Ash has them for $26.99. Much better!!!
    Thanks again TB folks!

Just saw BK's post. Great minds think alike!!!

BK bassist likes this.
  19. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    RIC can't undercut their dealers, hence they have to charge MSRP. No different than buying direct from any manufacturer who has a dealer network.

byoung93888 likes this.
  20. bstringrandy

Aug 18, 2004
    Jacksonville, FL
    Yep. I get that. I'll use Ric strings and support them at the Sam Ash price. :)

alesreaper9 and byoung93888 like this.