1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Rickenbacker Club Part Twelve

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Apr 15, 2014.

Tags:
  1. bstringrandy

bstringrandy Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2004
    Jacksonville, FL
    I say keep them both although I'm partial to walnut/maple :)

Rick.

2. plav1959

plav1959

May 7, 2016
    Orlando, FL
    I am leaning in that direction. The Montezuma is beautiful, but the neck on the SW is much more comfortable to me. No rush to make a decision. I am going to take others suggestions and get vintage knobs for the SW. I think it would be $25 well spent.

Giffro, byoung93888, woodyng2 and 2 others like this.
  3. woodyng2

woodyng2 Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    A46FF02C-7DCD-4E16-888F-F48F05811CD6.
    As much as i love the look of cb binding,fwi’s, bound neck, I greatly prefer S models for their smoother body and neck contours. And the oil finish walnut ones are even sleeker.
    My Cheynne 1 is the lightest,most comfortable bass i own.

4. heinpete

heinpete

Apr 9, 2008
    Hesse, Germany
    The string tension should not be a problem anymore for the new 4003. I even prefer the really tough "Blue Steels" 45-105 on my '74 4001 and her neck does not even shrug (after Paul W. took care of it)!

bstringrandy likes this.
  5. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm curious if your Walnut has a much deeper feeling neck profile than the Montezuma? My SW and some other standard 4003W basses I tried in stores had a very odd squared shape to the back of the neck neck (almost like a deep capital "D") that I've never felt on any other Ric. Had I kept mine I'd probably have shaved it down some. I've definitely always preferred the more bare wood feel and it woulda been a pretty easy job with some Tru-Oil because of the light finish.

6. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    Yeah, this. I'll say the same about mine.

7. plav1959

plav1959

May 7, 2016
    Orlando, FL
    Mine are quite the opposite. Both have that D shape, but the SW feels much shallower with a less sharp transition near the edges. Agreed about sanding the neck down, but all I had to do with the walnut was hit it with a fine scotch brite pad to take down some roughness. Not really an option with the Montezuma!

byoung93888 and sunbeast like this.
  8. mannysilvers

mannysilvers Commercial User

Jun 20, 2009
    NYC
    Engineer, Electro-Harmonix
    Random question for my fellow Ric owners: how often, if ever, have you adjusted just one of the two truss rods because it looked like one side of the neck had slightly more relief than the other? I did this once a couple years ago on mine. I haven't adjusted the neck at all in about a year, it's been really steady and I check it (eyeballing from the bridge) all the time. Lately I feel like I'm noticing just a bit more relief on the G string side than the E string, but it's always hard to tell if it's an optical illusion created by the way the nut ramps up. Either way the bass is playing great at the moment and it's not a big deal but was just curious how often others will tweak just one of the two rods.

9. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    I do the usual seasonal adjustments from winter to summer. This is with the modern rods; the old style rods were, basically, set and forget.

farace likes this.
  10. Aceonbass

Aceonbass Supporting Member Commercial User

Apr 10, 2004
    Parkville,Mo.
    Use a string fretted at the first and last fret to check for relief. Eyeballing the neck from one end or the other isn't very precise.

JMacBass65 likes this.
  11. PaulBoyer

PaulBoyer Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 27, 2012
    Wisconsin
    I read somewhere that you won't have much luck adjusting for "twist" with the dual rods. They are supposed to be thought of as "halves" of a single large rod. As I recall, you should adjust each the same amount for modifying neck curvature. I welcome correction.

byoung93888 likes this.
  12. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Definitely- there's only a very small amount of tightening you can do on one rod alone without simply it simply taking over the majority of tension of the whole neck and making the other nut loose. You can get a tad of balancing effect, but its minimal IME.

13. heinpete

heinpete

Apr 9, 2008
    Hesse, Germany
    Paul, you're perfectly right! Otherwise there is also a risk of bending the neck sidewise, which I experienced on a '97 4003.

14. BassGen

BassGen

Mar 15, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    Speaking of neck stability. My 2014 4003W has been living in my basement where it is quite cool due to the AC running. A buddy and I have been rehearsing for an open mic down there. It’s cold enough that my knuckles would get stiff and start to hurt.

Anyway, from basement to gig where it was a lot warmer. Expected to need a major tuning. 2 strings we’re still perfect and 2 need the most minor of adjustment. Just a nudge on the peg. I had not expected it to hold that well through a big temp change.

StrangerBasses likes this.
  15. My only issues seemed to stem from humidity. I received the bass in February, I believe, and was having major stability issues until I put some Damp Rid in my "Bass Room" in April some time. One to two weeks later the neck was stable and holding and has been since. I was panicking thinking I had a bum neck but all good.

StrangerBasses and superdick2112 like this.
  16. plav1959

plav1959

May 7, 2016
    Orlando, FL
    Question for everyone, given the difference in string gauges from stock Ric strings, do you have to file the nut in order to use Roto Swing 66s or any other brand for that matter?

17. I didn't have any problem putting Roto SM77's (.040", .060", .080", .100") on my 4003. Haven't tried anything heavier than that, but I would expect the SM66 set to be fine since it has the same gauges as SM77, and the standard RS66LD set would probably be fine as well. Currently I'm using T-I Jazz Flats (.043", .056", .070", .100"), which are close to the original Ric gauges.

plav1959 and byoung93888 like this.
  18. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    The Roto's fit fine on both my 4003's, no nut adjustment necessary.

Giffro, plav1959 and byoung93888 like this.
  19. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    I play .045 - .105 sets of D'Addario Pro Steels, and I usually have to do a one-time mild filing & sanding job on new Ric nuts to accommodate the new strings.

plav1959 likes this.
  20. mannysilvers

mannysilvers Commercial User

Jun 20, 2009
    NYC
    Engineer, Electro-Harmonix
    I had to file the nut a bit to get DR Hi-Beams (45-105) on my Ric.

SirMjac28, alesreaper9 and Gluvhand like this.