1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Rickenbacker Club Part Twelve

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Aceonbass

Aceonbass Commercial User

Apr 10, 2004
    Parkville,Mo.
    Due to the geometry between the neck and top of the bass being lower on a Rick, it's easier to rest the upper half of your hand somewhere on the bass to play pick style. On a Fender, the geometry puts your hand a bit higher so you may need to use the last three fingers on your picking hand to position your hand above the strings. It's the equivalent of trying to hold up a neck heavy bass while you're playing it. That's my theory anyway.

djaxup likes this.
  2. tom dicus

tom dicus

May 17, 2017
    Wasilla, AK USA
    i suck at bass but will never give up
    Probably pretty darn good theory. One thing I found is using a pick with my 4003 also seems to sound better too.

3. woodyng2

woodyng2 Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    Closer string spacing on the Rick. So,it’s not you.....

4. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    I play my Ric ONLY with a pick. The bridge makes it hard to palm mute, though Squire managed it somehow. I find thumb anchor awkward, even with a Treble Bezel. I learned fingerstyle on a 4001 as my first bass, but it just feels weird now. My Steinberger is my finger bass.

5. jeff62

jeff62 Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    The Ric bridge has never been a hindrance for me picking and muting... i use the soft part of the outside of my hand to control the muting no matter where I’m picking on the strings.

byoung93888 likes this.
  6. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    The stock Ric tailpiece and pickup cover are a cumbersome hinderance to my bass playing. I played a holy grail bass (1968 4001) for 30+ years and I grew to hate the tailpiece design and the horseshoe pickup. I like to play with a pick and palm mute and the tailpiece gets in the way, and for fingerstyle the pickup cover blocks plucking at a nice sweet spot. But remember the 4001 was designed 60 years ago and the designers didn't understand what modern bass players would need and want.

here's a pic of me palm muting a 4003s5 … the tailpiece on these allowed access to the strings at a critical location

e01. Picture%20039.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    BlueMINI likes this.
  7. Valsmere

Valsmere

Jun 28, 2018
    I just installed a treble bezel on mine last night and for me it made a huge difference in the comfort level

8. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    It’s a hindrance to palm muting if you want to pluck right behind the bridge pup to get a Squire tone. The mute screws and raised castings between each string on the stock bridge make it impossible ( unless your hand is bloated like the Pillsbury Doughboy) for your palm to contact the strings in that area. You can move you hand forward so you are picking over the bridge pup itself, that wasn’t an option for Squire on his cream v63 bass with a horse shoe pup. Check out a few videos of him playing, it’s usually picking right in front of the bridge. A Hipshot has no such impediments, but I like the look of the OEM one better. You’d have to cut out the castings between each string like @Ric5 did.

9. KPO2000

KPO2000 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2001
    MA
    I'm thinking of one as well. Do you play with your fingers? Which one did you get?

10. Valsmere

Valsmere

Jun 28, 2018
    yes finger player and its the ridged model. Give it a shop it was like $30 or around that plus you can always switch it back if you don't like it! Win Win in my book

DaveSill and KPO2000 like this.
  11. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    Gilmourisgod likes this.
  12. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Here's Squire playing The Fish in 2003. You can he see either plays in front of the horseshoe pup, or behind it, a good example of it at 2:25 or so. I can't see how it would be possible to palm mute in that position, he must be damping with his left hand. He had huge bear paws, but you'd have to mash them like hamburger to get down between those string separators, not seeing that here.

13. BASSKADET

BASSKADET Gold Supporting Member

May 17, 2007
    NC
    Sausage Fingers LOL

byoung93888 and Gilmourisgod like this.
  14. Ric5

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    Actually I got the idea from the stock 4003s5 basses where they had to modify the tailpiece to fit 5 strings where there used to be 4 slots

Gilmourisgod likes this.
  15. Jaco Taco

Jaco Taco

Jul 30, 2012
    I've seen conflicting reports concerning the scale length for the new 5-string Rics. I've seen the typical 33.25" scale length listed but Wildwood says they are 35". Anybody know the truth?

16. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    The Ric website says 33.25". I'm going with them :p

Jeff Scott likes this.
  17. Ric5

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    Rickenbacker does not make 35" scale basses

Jeff Scott likes this.
  18. Jaco Taco

Jaco Taco

Jul 30, 2012
    I wonder why Wildwood would say that the new Ric 4003S/5's that they are selling are 35". That's weird.

19. Ric5

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    a typo or a mistake

Jeff Scott likes this.
  20. Jaco Taco

Jaco Taco

Jul 30, 2012
    Yeah, I just called Wildwood and asked them to check it, they said it's 33.25" and they made a mistake. Good, I'm glad to hear that because a 35" scale length would totally change the sound.