1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Rickenbacker Club Part Twelve

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Apr 15, 2014.

1. oldskoolskatedad

oldskoolskatedad Supporting Member

May 18, 2014
    Having never tried Dunlop flats I would still strongly recommend TI Jazz flats as long as low string tension won't be an issue for you. Almost every bass I have has it's own set of TI flats. I generally slap them on in between sets of rounds and though some say you shouldn't remount strings, I've not run into a problem with the TI's. Of course there is some string height and neck relief adjustments that usually need to be made with the TI's.

2. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    As for adjusting the truss rod, mine is a 2016 Is it safe to adjust the rods same as I would any other bass or do I still need to move the neck in place and then tighten?

3. bobomatic

bobomatic

Jan 15, 2018
    Just like any other bass... only there’s two of them. No need to put the neck in place anymore!

fourstringdrums and BK bassist like this.
  4. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil

Aug 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Not actually named Phil
    That was my understanding, too. I had the neck pickup moved back to the original 1/2" spacing around 7yrs ago, but the mod only took out wood from the body wings, nothing further from the neck joint area, so presumably, it didn't weaken that potentially troublesome spot

stevebasshead likes this.
  5. Aceonbass

Aceonbass Commercial User

Apr 10, 2004
    Parkville,Mo.
    Since the body wings are glued to the neck blank, they help stabilize the giant swimming pool route found in 4003's till April '14. So yes, you absolutely compromised the stability of the neck blank. This is why former Rick techs like Mark Arnquist and Dale Fortune advise NOT removing any wood to move the pickup.

Gilmourisgod likes this.
  6. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    The problem was the combination of 1/2” pup spacing and the unnecessarily wide and deep “ swimming pool” neck pup route, which left about a 1/4” bridge of wood under the pup. This effectively transformed a neck through bass into a set-neck with a thin tenon. If they had reinforced the body wing/neck joint with dowels or biscuits, it would have improved it. Nope. The new 4003 has a shallower pup route. Haven’t heard of any negative neck angle problems since they changed it, but 1/2” pup spacing is always going to be weaker than 1”, that’s pretty much the locus of string tension on the whole bass, hogging it out isn’t great structurally.

Aceonbass likes this.
  7. Relsom

Relsom Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2013
    The Old Dominion
    While we're on the subject of wood excavation.... when did RIC begin to add the channels for the TR tool. I have 2 x 2015s without, had 2 x 2016s and a 2018 with. So unless my 2015s coincidentally got left without, can I assume it started in 2016? They should have done this ages ago.

8. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Good to know. I've read some with the opinion that even on post 1984 basses you should still do it

Do you want both sides absolutely the same or can you have one side have a little more or less relief to taste?

9. BassGen

BassGen

Mar 15, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    Though on Joey’s Bass notes (which is offline now IIRC) it says only a slight turn per day. Now I don’t recall exactly but it was only 1/4 or 1/8 turn per day, then let it settle and repeat daily until you get where you want it.

10. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Not always so. I moved my ‘09 4003 to 1/2” , didn’t have to touch any neck wood as discussed. Just need to remove a tad from each body wing. After 5 years, neck is still strong as ever.

stevebasshead likes this.
  11. farace

farace

Jul 9, 2016
    Connecticut USA
    My '15 doesn't have access channels. It's pretty tight, and I've ground down the nutdriver a bit. It's not impossible, though.

12. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Most setup tutorials seem to recommend 1/8 turn in the rod, check relief, repeat as necessary. Probably wouldn’t hurt to wait a little while between tweaks, but overnight seems excessive. I don’t think I’ve ever had to tweak a rod more than 1/2 turn total unless it was completely loose. This includes “helping” the neck to bend, not just relying on the rod, of course.

13. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil

Aug 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Not actually named Phil
    Ah, many thanks once again for the info. Were all 4003 basses given the swimming pool, then? Cause this pickup route doesn't seem as extreme as some 4001 examples I've seen online. I thought the route changed when they went over from the 4001 to 4003? But I'm certainly not calling myself an authority on the matter!

Also, going on the assumption that the neck is now weakened as a result, is this an eventually fatal mod? I've heard tell of individuals doing this mod on their 4003 and then seeing negative impacts within a very short time span following it (weeks or months). I got this done back in 2012. I suppose I'm hoping you'll respond with something along the lines of "if it hasn't killed your bass yet, it isn't likely to do so"!

14. Relsom

Relsom Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2013
    The Old Dominion
    I think that's pretty much all you get with a "genuine" RIC TR tool...... a stock Xcelite nut driver that's been laid on a grinder for a bit. RIC Tool.

StereoPlayer likes this.
  15. oldskoolskatedad

oldskoolskatedad Supporting Member

May 18, 2014
    Please excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is the impetus or desired effect of the 1/2" neck pup mod? Is it to match vintage pup placement for tonal or aesthetic purposes? I may be way off base but it doesn't seem like it would make a noticeable difference to me, unlike picking/plucking position, different strings, etc. I'm not trying to be intentionally obtuse, but sincerely curious.

16. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Even with the “swimming pool” route, not every bass with 1/2” spacing developed negative neck angle. If your neck hasn’t moved, it probably isn’t going to. If it ever does, the fix involves creating a uniform route, filling it with solid maple, and then re-cutting the absolute minimum needed for the pup. Personally, I can’t hear any difference between 1/2” and 1” spacing, so maybe it’s more about cosmetics.

sloppy_phil likes this.
  17. Relsom

Relsom Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2013
    The Old Dominion
    There's a great repair thread out here somewhere that goes through the whole process of filling in that route to correct the neg. angle. I'll post the link if i can find it.

18. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil

Aug 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Not actually named Phil
    Cool, thanks Gilmour! I suppose that means "not fatal", even should the worst occur with this bass :)

That's interesting you don't hear any difference. It wasn't even so much the neck pickup soloed, though I do think it takes on a woolier, less crunchy character, but I noticed a much more pronounced impact on the middle position. In 'modern' mode, it takes on more of that J-style mid scoop, and then 'vintage' mode gets you very close to some Fly By Night Ged tone. But maybe that's just me. Especially for the 'modern' mode, it makes the bass so versatile. I play a lot of reggae, soul, RnB on the gigs I have, so that little bit of smoothness in the mids helps me a great deal

EDIT: @oldskoolskatedad There are my thoughts on why I did the pickup mod. I just saw that you were looking for some!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    Gilmourisgod likes this.
  19. Michael Eisenman

Michael Eisenman Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Eugene, Oregon
    I don’t know how much the sound would be affected for normal playing, but on my 2015 4003SW—with 1" spacing—I cannot tune with harmonics using only the neck pickup, as the pickup sits right on a node for the fifth-fret harmonic and cancels it out. Therefore, I tune using only the bridge pickup. That is the only problem that I can see with the 1" position. If you don’t use fifth-fret harmonics, it’s a moot—not mute—point.

basmansam likes this.
  20. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Tonal, for me, anyway.