1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Rickenbacker Club Part Twelve

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

Is that what they actually sell right there? Talk about the tail wagging the dog

2. Relsom

Relsom Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2013
    The Old Dominion
    When I bought one of mine, the guy threw it in; said it was the genuine article from RIC. Other than that..... I don't know.

3. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I bought the 1/4" driver from StewMac. I've read that those fit. Though mine is a 2016 so maybe it has channels.

4. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Interestingly, the 1" neck pup and standard bridge pup locations fall within a tiny variance from perfect theoretical 24th and 36th fret locations (if you had 36 frets!). This can't have been accidental, though what effect that has on amplified harmonics for anything but open strings is best left to physicists! I found it compellingly suggestive enough that I used the precise 24th and 36th fret locations on both my Ric clone builds. The first one sounds great, we'll see how it goes with number two! In theory, the farther forward move the bridge pup, the "woolier"(@sloppy_phil term, I like it) it gets. I tend not to use the neck pup much, so maybe my ears have atrophied. :D

sloppy_phil and Skillet like this.
  5. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Man, that's weird. I ONLY use fifth fret harmonics to tune bass, seems to ring fine on my Clone build, per the post above, mine is exactly at the 24th theoretical fret location, which sets it at exactly 1" from the heel end of the fingerboard to edge of pup cover. The distance from last fret to fingerboard heel does vary slightly from year to year on Rics though. On that note, this discussion has officially Geeked-Out. We must all be Ric-Nerds.

6. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    los angeles
    nothing wrong with that, i was just trying to discuss tuner dimensions but that went nowhere.

Gilmourisgod likes this.
  7. farace

farace

Jul 9, 2016
    Connecticut USA
    I bought a cheap used Xcelite on eBay for what, maybe six bucks, and fired up the bench grinder.

DaveSill likes this.
  8. Michael Eisenman

Michael Eisenman Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Eugene, Oregon
  9. Michael Eisenman

Michael Eisenman Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Eugene, Oregon
    Well, mine measures 1-1/32" end of neck to pup cover, so that must explain it. ;)

Gilmourisgod and DaveSill like this.
  10. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    And 1/2” may not be accurate. Some say it should be 3/8” ~ 7/16”.

I am left with the feeling that Ric whittles these instruments from logs as all are a bit different.

ICM, Gilmourisgod and sloppy_phil like this.
  11. Musicman1901

Musicman1901 Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    802BEA5E-5328-4AF6-8C14-39FA95901D40. 2594B5BF-AF45-4346-ADEE-FBFD05AB12E6. BE08A98B-0A8D-4905-8364-96681CD0B853. Just got my first ever Rickenbacker today. Loving it already!

12. Skillet

Skillet Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Louisiana
    Musicman1901 likes this.
  13. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I can’t speak to the 1/2” spacing, but I can say that my 4004 and 4003 sound VERY different in middle position and they both sport Classic Amplification pickups with similar specs and I’ve wired both nearly identical. The 4004 neck pickup is right up on the neck, so another 1/2” again farther from the standard 4003 position, but I would assume the difference of the 4001 position would be pretty noticeable as well. My 4004 in middle position in Vintage mode has noticeably more mid attack and grind than my 4003. Obviously not scientific, but I’ve tried lots of mods on my 4003 to try to coax a similar tone with no success. The only things I haven’t tried are a Hipshot Type A bridge or moving the neck pickup. I do prefer the soloed tone of the 4003 neck pickup for some things, but any of the blended tones of the 4004L totally slay the 4003!

woodyng2, Jeff Scott and Lesfunk like this.
  14. BassGen

BassGen

Mar 15, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    The StewMac tool fits. Might be snug but it fits. I’ve used mine on a 2001, 2011 and 2014.

fourstringdrums likes this.
  15. oldskoolskatedad

oldskoolskatedad Supporting Member

May 18, 2014
    Well I would hope the hassle of routing and a new PG, not to mention possible neck stability issues, is well rewarded with the change in tone that moving the relatively underpowered neck pup 1/2" affords.

16. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    The chosen few of us are attuned to this. :thumbsup:

17. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil

Aug 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Not actually named Phil
    I've only played one 4004 once (a Snowglo), in a store, though I don't remember if it was a Cii or L. Neck p'up was right up against the neck, though, so I guess L? Anyways, besides the humbucking pickups being a little dark for my taste, the mid position was quite tasty. The mid character and grind reminded me of my bass. Wonder how it would stack up to a modded 4003, but with those CA pickups @sunbeast was referencing?

woodyng2 likes this.
  18. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    All the Snowglo 4004s are Laredos.

sloppy_phil likes this.
  19. sunbeast

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I personally decided against ever doing that particular mod on my 4003, though I would have done so if neck stability weren't an issue. Would sooner just pick up another older 4004 as I prefer the wider Fender-ish neck profile and know I get along well with the pickup spacing on those basses (also the neck is super stable on mine)! Obviously tone preferences are completely subjective, but having done tons of pickup/ electronics experimentation over the years I know that 1/2" is not insignificant for a bass pickup (especially with the comb filtering in a dual pickup blend). Consider the difference in tone between 60s and 70s Jazz basses for example (also the difference of only 1/2" pickup spacing)

hypercarrots likes this.
  20. sunbeast

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I am a big fan/pusher of the Classic Amplification Hi-Gains, but the 4004 humbuckers also sound pretty darn good in single-coil mode. I actually think I like them better than the modern Ric Hi-Gains which are a bit overwound and middy for my taste. I unwound the stock pickups from my 4003 to closely match the CA pickups in my 4004 and was pretty happy with the results (though ended up snapping the wire on the neck pickup oops!)- still prefer the Classic Amp pickups all around though on both basses...