1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Rickenbacker Club Part Twelve

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I build and modify basses
    For me playing a stock 4003 unmodified would be a total nightmare

sunbeast likes this.
  2. basmansam

basmansam

Feb 11, 2005
    Vermont
    You could build one from scratch for less.

3. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Ask @Gilmourisgod for his hourly commitment on his build.

Anachronism likes this.
  4. Anachronism

Anachronism Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2014
    MO
    I am continually amazed at how many people do not include the value of their own time in calculations. Unless someone enjoys building/modifying musical instruments, the time spent is part of the cost.

Spectrum and byoung93888 like this.
  5. Picton

Picton

Aug 16, 2017
    Reading, MA
    Too true.

I don't build anymore, and why? Because I had kids. That's when making shavings in the basement stopped meaning as much to me as playing with the kiddos. I still miss building, though. But even if you enjoy the process, it's still time away from other things you enjoy.

Anachronism and 12BitSlab like this.
  6. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    I had plans to build a replica of a 1969 Sunn cab. I had acquired JBL K140s with original cones, had found the actual plans, then had to abandon the idea. I sold the drivers at a profit however. The time commitment was just too much for me, as I've done lots of cab builds before, but I just don't have the time anymore. Rather be doing something else!

Picton and Anachronism like this.
  7. BK bassist

BK bassist "Apollo's Ghost" Gold Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY
    Hello :)

CE7D47BC-DDD5-4DB0-9280-9A10B8672B65.

8. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    It took me four years to build the Hossenfeffer I, and probably 2 years for the HF II. This is weekend work with some long hiatus due to life, discouragement, saving money for tools and supplies, etc, I deliberately avoided keeping track of individual hours, let’s call it “lots”. What I learned was deep admiration for anybody capable of doing it in less time with fewer mistakes, in other words, a pro Luthier. The economics of custom bass builds are brutal, not many people willing to pay what amounts to minimum wage for something that might take 60 hours to build and finish. Even in the factory setting, Rics take longer to build and require more fussy handwork than most mass produced basses. Given their huge backlog, I’m not sure mass produced is even the right word, more like semi-custom shop. It’s easy to look at that custom Ric build and say “too much!”. Walk a day in their shoes (or mine) and see what you think then! ;)

The Hossenfeffer Bass Build
    The Hossenfeffer II Build

9. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    I spent three months building mine. I do enjoy the building process, but even factoring in the cost of my own labor time, it was a steal of a deal!

Gilmourisgod likes this.
  10. byoung93888

byoung93888 Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Asheville, NC
    Nice, should've kept the one I had!

toothguy, BK bassist and woodyng2 like this.
  11. woodyng2

woodyng2 Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    Ohhhhh,myyyyy.drooldrooldrool
    Lovely,-Congrats,David!

12. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    I REALLY enjoy it, if I thought I could make enough of a living at it to keep up with college tuition, I'd do it full time, but as a hobby, I probably making an inverse minimum wage, it costs me that much per hour to build basses. Beats gambling on Fantasy Football, I guess, everybody needs a hobby. :laugh:

13. DaveSill

DaveSill Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2012
    Probably best to keep it a hobby. Nothing sucks the joy out of an activity you love like making it a job.

JMacBass65, Spectrum, Relsom and 2 others like this.
  14. BK bassist

BK bassist "Apollo's Ghost" Gold Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY
    Thank you my brother.

woodyng2 likes this.
  15. BASSKADET

BASSKADET Gold Supporting Member

May 17, 2007
    NC
    I hate to say it but it plays and sounds better than my 4003S IMHO.
    4004 HOME PICS 008.JPG

16. Freez

Freez

Nov 8, 2008
    Detroitish
    Screenshot_20190314-083416.

17. woodyng2

woodyng2 Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    Seems a halfway measure to me.
    OTOH, no copyright infringement issues this way.

18. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    AFAIK Ric tried to sue Hipshot for some kind of trade dress infringement, and lost, I can't see how this one would have any problem. The idea looks sound, but the saddles are the typically over-massive castings you see on all Babicz bridges, and they might have to tone it down on the giant logo they tend to slap on everything. Kudos for trying, anyway, wish Ric would take on a redesign that retains the look of the old bridge, but more adjustable.

19. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    los angeles
    i can say full contact rickenbacker bass bridge

ctmullins and DaveSill like this.
  20. On the topic of bridges, how is everyone’s experience palm muting the stock rick bridge?

I appreciate the innovation, don’t really understand why it necessary, but nonetheless I always enjoy seeing new mod options. A bridge where you could tighten up string spacing would be ideal.