1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Rickenbacker Club Part Twelve

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Apr 15, 2014.

1. woodyng2

woodyng2 Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    If it’s not a Ricken,it’s one of the better copies. The nut looks wacky,though.

BK bassist likes this.
  2. BK bassist

BK bassist "Apollo's Ghost" Gold Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY
    FWIW, I just did a quick Google search on the seller, appears to be a legit, high end, vintage guitar shop in Japan.

I don't know if this particular Ric is legit, but the shop seems to be.

woodyng2 and byoung93888 like this.
  3. I guess it’s legit if you go by their description. They aren’t claiming it’s a Ric.

byoung93888 likes this.
  4. Skillet

Skillet Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Louisiana
    and......... it's gone

what struck me was... shark fins were squared off like the real deal, and the binding on the wings stopped where it met the center block. Oh well.

Here's the original listing.

NO BRAND 4001 TYPE Natural | eBay

woodyng2 likes this.
  5. Hey fellow RickenFiends! Just butting in quickly to say that I JUST got these in from FretNation. Can't believe they got here so fast! (West coast to East Coast over the weekend.. 3 days) Free shipping! Custom Guages! THE! Can't beat that with a stick! GREAT price! Can't wait to throw them on and hear them with my completed rig! WOOOOOoooooOoooo! Ric Flair!

20190513_135524.

woodyng2, Spidey2112 and basmansam like this.
  6. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Here are the pictures. I had an old Univox Ric clone from the 80's and this one reminds me of that one (a lot). Some things on this one look a bit off from a real Ric. Let the experts weigh-in....

1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6.

Mertle72 likes this.
  7. bobomatic

bobomatic

Jan 15, 2018
    Everything about the truss rod channel is wrong

Checkerboard and 1” spacing

Skunk stripe but drilled for finger rest

Plain tops on control knobs

P/U surround thicker at the top than bottom, but it could have been put back upside down ( which would mean 4 new screw holes because a Rick has them offset)

White switch tip (easily changed out)

I think that’s it?

sing-modulator and Quadzilla like this.
  8. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Me with the '81 this past Sat night. Damn I love this bass! The back-painted, gold PG and TRC really look awesome on her!

Fred_Ric.

Giffro, woodyng2, aproud1 and 11 others like this.
  9. rickdog

rickdog Gold Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2010
    That looks like 1/2" spacing to me. And my '72 has the skunk stripe and was drilled for a finger rest.

But there are more clues it's a really good (but not perfect) copy. The hi-gain neck pickup says it's no earlier than 1973, same for the newer tailpiece (no gap in the middle "tooth" in the mute area, extra screws). The checkerboard binding was discontinued in roughly mid-1973. But early 1973 should have had wavy Grover tuners. The jack plate should have a serial number visible. The binding is wrong, I think. My '72 does not have the inner black strip. The bridge pickup surround looks like it has the same screw spacing on both sides, they should be just a bit farther apart on the bridge side.

sing-modulator likes this.
  10. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Yeah, It's a Lawsuit bass, but a REALLY nice one, great grain figure, great fit and finish. Probably as good or better built than contemporary Rics, which was the real threat to Ric at the time. I'd put a ho-made TRC on it and flog that sucker hard.

ICM, woodyng2, BK bassist and 4 others like this.
  11. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    Vintage knobs came in.

vintage knobs.

vintage knobs closeup.

Much better :)

ICM, alembicbones, Aceonbass and 15 others like this.
  12. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Can I have your old ones?

13. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    I got old ones available, from 1967.

ctmullins likes this.
  14. mapleglo

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    I have a few old sets of knobs hanging around. I'd likely be willing to part with a set. For the right price.

15. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

Oct 16, 2012
    Better tone in the '70's knobs IMO.

ICM, Spectrum and hieronymous like this.
  16. mapleglo

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    No, I think the modern vintage knobs offer the best tone.

17. hieronymous

hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    I'm waiting for the new triangular knobs.

ICM, Aceonbass, woodyng2 and 6 others like this.
  18. Update on Cobalt slinky install for 4003 (custom 105 80 60 45)... well

Had to file the nut just a smidgen... like seriously just a tad, smidgen, hair bit...(I CANNOT stress the "tad, smidgen, hair bit" thing enough.)

Cool thing: I called a local violin dealer that had nut files at 8:10pm and they closed at 8:30pm which was like 30 minutes ago (as of this post).
    Ran down there: 4003 and strings in hand filed the nut in 4 seconds flat myself and checked with bagged strings to make sure they fit, (seriously didn't take much) JUST enough for them to fit and total cost was exactly $0. The stars have aligned for me. Now to the local watering hole for a celebratory Jack n' Coke before heading home, slapping the strings on and tuning em' up!

P.S. To the knobs posts above:
    I want razor blade, spikey, tiger with laser eyes knobs so I just set my knobs ONCE and NEVER touch them (or want to) again. Lol

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  19. basmansam

basmansam Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Vermont
    MG - how much does your bass weigh, can measure the g string bridge saddle to the centerline on the bridge pick up? Thanks