1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Rickenbacker Club Part Twelve

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Apr 15, 2014.

1. kulit17

kulit17 Wal Collector #35 Supporting Member

i thought the same thing....i heard the electronic cavity was pretty much untouched.....although whoever did the fretless conversion did a hack job.

2. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    That was, originally, a regular fretted 4002, as I don't think the fretless version came with fretlines from the factory. So even more mods than just the shameful destruction of its pickups and electronics.

3. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    Many years ago (maybe a couple decades) I checked out a 4005 that had been modded into a fretless. It would have been a cool bass to buy if it weren't for a few, not easily correctable, "tweaks" done to it beyond the frets having been (what seemed like) yanked out of the fingerboard. Not to mention, the severely bowed neck (archery, anyone?).

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  4. woodyng2

woodyng2 Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    7AC3FD98-5BF8-42AA-A1E9-0E0BDDD073F3. A hack job? Based on what info? The picture looks like they may have done wood inserts,
    which is exactly the way the 12th Fret in Portland did the fretless conversion on my Cii.

sneha1965, Aceonbass and BlueTalon like this.
  5. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I played this one only for 35 years until I started playing 5 string basses

Rimg1312.

6. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    new pickguard and 2 new hb-1 pickups and a wiring harness and that bass would be worth a lot

maybe a 5th string a stingray pickup and a 4 band preamp would really be cool

;):roflmao::bassist::hyper:

Aceonbass likes this.
  7. kulit17

what would you define this??

toothguy and woodyng2 like this.
  8. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Binding chipped off and bad nut?

9. kulit17

its like this alot actually along the neck...apparently whoever ripped out the frets took off some of the binding too along the way.... guess thats not hacking a bass according to all you experts here...sorry.

10. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    I’d say that is hacking a bass. Yikes!!

TolerancEJ and woodyng2 like this.
  11. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    Not that one, it was a bit more complete than that one; I was able to play it. :D Isn't that the one in de.?

That brown monstrosity looks like it really is a home made bass, and seems to be a solid body, not a hollow body.

12. woodyng2

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    Ah. I did not see that picture before. :vomit:
    Yes,that is a bad bad job.:crying:
    Still, it is all fixable....i’d have it refretted.....

13. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I would totally pick up that for a project. For a Benjamin

Anachronism likes this.
  14. kulit17

yup dito... thats what the current owner is planning on doing.

byoung93888 and woodyng2 like this.
  15. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic

Mar 20, 2011
    Spokane, Washington
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    I love your bass noodles! I had two of them going at once for a couple of minutes, and about 80% of it worked! The other 20% I would describe as ethereal mud. My only negative observation is that there was some noise present throughout. Do you know where in the chain it originated?

ctmullins likes this.
  16. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Crazy! Now (without the hardware) it’s gonna be significantly harder to sell too. Mods that extreme almost always crush resale unless you can sell it locally (where someone can actually inspect it in hand to make sure it isn’t as bad as it could be)

17. woodyng2

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    Try 20.

18. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    Thanks! Those recording are truly improvised stream of unconsciousness! :laugh: I hit record and GO! It's a great way to find new ideas for songs, really. We did that every weekend when Rare Blend got together to rehearse.

I believe what you are hearing as noise is just an undercurrent of reverb. Or, your ears are WAY better than mind (very possible).

19. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic

Mar 20, 2011
    Spokane, Washington
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    I just listened again. You posted three clips, the noise was in the last one (1234). The other two were pretty clean.

I could seriously listen to that kind of stuff all day.

20. Guzzi Toad

Guzzi Toad

Mar 10, 2019
    That's what I heard it to be. Pretty much a Drone.

Either way, thanks a lot for enlightening me to Strymon stuff.

I've been thinking about experimenting with Rick-O-Sound again. To that end I got a Rich-E-Split Box and shielded, two conductor cable w/ TRS plugs the other day. Now all I need is a cost effective Combo to go with my 90's vintage Ampeg B2. As with race cars, the cheapest Amp you'll ever own is the one you already have.

Have you any experience with the Strymon Deco?