1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Rickenbacker Club Part Twelve

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Aceonbass

Aceonbass Commercial User

Apr 10, 2004
    Parkville,Mo.
    Hmm....why would you replace a new V2 tailpiece with an older one? You'd still have to drill new holes though.

byoung93888 and donahue like this.
  2. donahue

donahue Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Oregon
    Not saying I would for sure. Just curious. I'm going to try the new bridge for sure. I'm just pretty attached to the old design so I was wondering just in case. I appreciate the info.

3. DaveSill

DaveSill Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2012
    byoung93888 likes this.
  4. hieronymous

hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    byoung93888 and woodyng2 like this.
  5. DaveSill

DaveSill Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2012
    Spectrum, byoung93888 and woodyng2 like this.
  6. gearHed289

gearHed289

Sep 11, 2008
    Chicago area
    Head of design and sales, MT Case Co.
    Nice. Enjoy!

Another nice clip Harry! Sounds great.

I like the standard much better as well. If you switch from a 4 string to an 8, you can feel the difference, but I wouldn't call them neck heavy (and I'm a real stickler about neck dive).

nc_oc=AQkLII006_JTvQrYGt_pnf2uPClZjk15EJBfHAQNTlcHDBryOdQNyn063n4XN1NC8EU&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-1.jpg

7. woodyng2

woodyng2 Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    Great looking bass! (I’m a sucker for a nice fireglo).
    I would like to see what one of these headstocks would look like with the octave tuning keys replaced with smaller keywind handles. Visually,i think it might look really nice, plus it might make figuring out which string you’re tuning a bit easier.

Guzzi Toad likes this.
  8. I'm actually not a FireGlo fan, but that /8 is an exception, maybe because it's got a darker, richer color to it than the usual FG; it's quite striking.

9. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    If all Fireglo had that dark blood red color, id be more of a Fireglo guy. That one is so much nicer than the unfortunate “clown glo” of yore.

JMacBass65, Picton, nixdad and 3 others like this.
  10. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    Mvf, superdick2112, woodyng2 and 8 others like this.
  11. gearHed289

gearHed289

Sep 11, 2008
    Chicago area
    Head of design and sales, MT Case Co.
    I've found it can be tricky to photograph, which leads me to believe that a lot of the "clown glo" instruments aren't as bad as they might appear online. Here's another shot of my 3 Rics in the sun.

nc_oc=AQnaEo47T61H2zaJWrRQROkBMt_MuuiB66xdXyhaIOPD_LOVIHzMeqruvanZJw1trbE&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-1.jpg

I was just on that page last night. =) After doing some skimming when I first received it, I went back and started from page 1. Lots of good stuff! Maybe a little overboard with the Fender stuff, but hey, it's his book. Probably the physically heaviest book I've ever owned!

JoshS, stevebasshead, djaxup and 8 others like this.
  12. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    It is a heavy book, isn't it!

13. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Nope, that's still way nicer. :D Clown Glo was definitely a Thing, and it wasn't good.

gearHed289, Spectrum and Guzzi Toad like this.
  14. PaulBoyer

PaulBoyer Commercial User

Jan 27, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Hate to be a nerd, but he spells his name (actually, it is a family nickname) Geddy. Imagine trying to pronounce Gary when you're native tongue is Polish.:)

Geddyfleaharris likes this.
  15. Guzzi Toad

Guzzi Toad

Mar 10, 2019
    That honor, for me at least, has to go to my Calculus I, II & III Books from back in the day. I wore out a backpack every year trekking back and forth across the bridge from east to west bank of the Mississippi River on the University of Minnesota -Twin Cities Campus.

Massive yes, but I wish he would have matched the dimensions of a Vinyl LP (12-3/8" x 12-3/8"). Oh well, maybe book publishers don't think that way.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020 at 6:02 PM
    gearHed289 and mapleglo like this.
  16. Different people have a different idea of where the line is between ClownGlo and FireGlo. My line is much darker, I guess. That /8 is very pretty to me, not only because the red is deeper and richer, but also because that usual yellowish color in the center of the burst is muted and more brownish. Probably the same reason I find Ric's version of tobacco burst to look nice. I forget what that one is called; you don't see many in the wild.

For me, any guitar that has that yellow-red combo is not my thing. Looks a little too Ronald McDonald to me. That color scheme is also popular on Les Paul guitars and I dislike it equally as much.

Gee Man and Gilmourisgod like this.
  17. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    ClownGlo is not about the the color, rather it is about too abrupt of a transition in the gradient. Term came from a batch of poorly painted Les Paul’s some time ago that were referred to as clown-burst instead of sunburst as the transition was almost a hard line, people would use disparaging comments such as ‘some clown in the paint booth didn’t know what they were doing that day’.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020 at 6:48 PM
    woodyng2 and DaveSill like this.
  18. I am aware of the term's history, just saying I dislike most red sunburst or cherry burst type paint jobs in general and that most of them remind me of clown colors.

But not that /8, that thing is very nice.

Gilmourisgod likes this.
  19. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    I thought I'd do a bit of RRS (Rick Rephotographic Survey) this evening.

Then (2014):
    4004_Full-1200_0128.jpg

Today (2020):
    4004L-SPC-Stickley-819-Sideboard-1200_2263.jpg

20. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Then don’t use the term ClownGlo. In your first post, sure seems like you are clearly attempting to indicate color, not the transition gradient.

I personally do not care for the present color rendition of FireGlo, looks way to orangie for me. IMO, it looks pale and washed out, sort of cheap and tacky. Perhaps CircusGlo would be appropriate? BigTopGlo? RoncoGlo?

But for some reason, their guitars look fine like that to me.

My 1993 FireGlo 4003S is more the deep red variety like gearHed289’s outdoor pic, and has shading gradients on the side edges between the bouts and on the headstock edges as well. Looks like his may have that treatment as well, not sure as I can just barely make out one edge in his pic.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020 at 7:45 PM