1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Rickenbacker Club Part Twelve

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Ok, whatevs.

But if it looks like a clown and honks its horn like a clown...

That works too.

2. A thought occurred to me; we could design our own paint job and call it "JokerGlo". It would have to be a weird burst using green and purple.

prod.mirror.co.uk%2Fincoming%2Farticle5723348.ece%2FALTERNATES%2Fs615%2FMark-Hamill-as-The-Joker.jpg

3. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    I'm trying to understand the pronunciation difference between "Getty" and "Geddy". But yeah, you're right, I misspelled his name. Odd, considering I have his big book sitting right in front of me. I am old...

woodyng2 and Geddyfleaharris like this.
  4. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Pronouncing Getty like Geddy is called a glottal stop. It’s a way that pronunciations eased over time. Most people pronounce J. Paul Getty, or the Getty Museum as geddy. And pronounce Marta as marda. If you pronounce the t as a t, it sounds weird.

* I learned that on ‘A Way With Words’ on Wisconsin Public Radio, one of my favorite shows every Sunday morning.

JoshS, HeavyDuty and PeterH like this.
  5. farace

farace

Jul 9, 2016
    Connecticut USA
    So, it's not quite as dopey sounding as pronouncing Kevin Moore as "Keb Mo." :bored:

Coolhandjjl likes this.
  6. Mantis Tobaggan

Mantis Tobaggan Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    Anyone here have a Rick guitar? I am GASing for a 350v63.

Guzzi Toad likes this.
  7. gearHed289

gearHed289

Sep 11, 2008
    Chicago area
    Head of design and sales, MT Case Co.
    Wow, that's quite a transition! I'm on the hunt for a 4004 to modify. Holding out for something at the right price. There's going to be some serious routing, a refinish, and a pickguard added, so condition is not critical.

Aceonbass and woodyng2 like this.
  8. Anachronism

Anachronism Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2014
    MO
    650S. Great instrument.

9. Shaggai

Shaggai

May 7, 2018
    New Jersey
    I think, at long last, we have found the TalkBass exclusive signature edition 4003.

mr zee and Spectrum like this.
  10. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I have a friend that want to sell one … it has been repainted and converted to a 5 … I was going to buy it and make it an 8 string … but I don't have the extra money

11. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Not, presently, I have had a few over the years:
    '03 660/12 MG
    '98 360V64 FG
    '01 730/12L MG
    '07 660 75th Anniversary DCM
    '67 330 FG

12. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    Those two are not the same bass that's been modded. The Ruby is my former 2012 NAMM Show 4004 Laredo that a TBer in Florida now owns; the Jetglo 4004 Laredo SPC was built for me in the Fall of 2015. The Ruby has, subsequently, been replaced with a Snowglo 4004L from the first batch made in the Fall of '13.

The concept of a rephotographic survey is to rephotograph an area (usually, a geographic landscape, or a cityscape) to ducument the changes that have taken place over a period of time. Mark Klett has done this in regard to photographs made by photographers such as Timothy O'Sullivan, William Henry Jackson, and J.K.Hillers who photgraphed the western US in the mid to late 1800s. Mark found the locations where the original photographs were made from and rephotographed them in the mid to late 1970s so we can see the dfferences in those location over a 100 year timespan.

http://www.markklettphotography.com/rephotographic-survey-project/9jluv005gj09vdrootupq486xhbst7

In my case, I rephotographed the same area in my dining room, using the 4004L Ruby photograph as the original reference, and I documented how that part of the dining room looks now, and using my 4004L SPC in place of the now gone 4004L Ruby.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020 at 1:41 AM
  13. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Nice q-sawn oak paneling and sideboard.

14. Kevin Teed

Kevin Teed

Mar 8, 2013
    Love the quartersawn oak!

Oh and the Ricks are nice too!:D

Gilmourisgod and Jeff Scott like this.
  15. jeff62

jeff62 Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Provided that there is a thick wide red smile around the bridge pickup, I'm in! :thumbsup::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

mr zee likes this.
  16. MirandM

MirandM Married to my bass. Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2019
    Spain
    Seems I never got a number after posting the bass... are they still given out?

17. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    No veneers, there. All solid oak. Even, the boards in between the battens are 1/4" glued-up panels.

Maybe, RIC can make a bass to match? :drool:

Kevin Teed likes this.
  18. woodyng2

woodyng2 Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    Oh, Do tell! :hyper: (Would Love to hear what you have in mind.)
    Unfortunately, since RIC halted production of the 4004, everyone’s speculating and now thinks they’re worth $1000 more than typical selling prices before. At some point,when these don’t sell at the exalted prices, hopefully they will come down to something reasonable.
    I’m hanging onto my quartet, as each of them is set up totally differently. (Strings,woods,pickup positions,and much more).

byoung93888 likes this.
  19. BK bassist

BK bassist Schroeder Cabinets endorsing artist Gold Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY
  20. DaveSill

DaveSill Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2012
    Yep. I missed your request.

Welcome to the club!

MirandM likes this.