1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Rickenbacker Club Part Twelve

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Apr 15, 2014.

1. MirandM

MirandM Married to my bass. Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2019
    Spain
    It was posted earlier when I asked for "how to", but it doesn't matter, thanks anyway :thumbsup:

DaveSill likes this.
  2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I had a 660/12 for a number of years before I sold it to my guitarist, and still have a 650D that I probably should sell. Great guitars, but I’m not a guitarist!

Mantis Tobaggan and byoung93888 like this.
  3. donahue

donahue Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Oregon
    Hey all,

What kind of strings do brand new Rics ship with? I would like to know for comparison sake.

4. farace

farace

Jul 9, 2016
    Connecticut USA
    Ric-branded strings, .045, .055, .075, .105. So, untypical of a normal .045-.105 set with the lighter D and A. They're my preferred string.

donahue likes this.
  5. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    They are NPS rounds, many here have suggested they are sourced from D’Addario.

donahue and basmansam like this.
  6. I went to get some new RIC bass strings, and the price on Amazon is almost twice what it is on Pick of the Rics or RIC's Boutique site. Someone out there is ripping someone off. Pays to shop around sometimes.

Guzzi Toad likes this.
  7. BassJuju

BassJuju Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky
    Sam Ash had the best price when I was shopping a few weeks ago.

farace likes this.
  8. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Just throwing this out there. When I replaced my original strings on my 4003s/5, I went with the Rotosound 66 Nickels. So far I am happy with the results.

Bones

9. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    this is what I use one 5 String Rickenbackers ... the steels give you more of a Metal tone and the Nickle give you more of a classic rock tone

s-l640.jpg

EXL220-5_main_1.jpg

10. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    I guess I tend towards Nickels for that slightly more mellow tone. I think my bass originally shipped with steels. The tone was very good. I have noticed, though, that when I have the bridge pickup dimed with the capacitor engaged, the nickels deliver a tone that I am more fond of.

Bones

11. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    If you bought it new, it would have had nickels on it.

12BitSlab and Coolhandjjl like this.
  12. badiban

badiban

Jul 20, 2017
    USA
    Does anyone have pictures of the new v2 bridge? I am debating whether it's worth retrofitting my 2017 bridge. Does this new bridge allow for intonation adjustments without having to remove the strings?

13. Aceonbass

Aceonbass Commercial User

Apr 10, 2004
    Parkville,Mo.
    The new bridge is very easily adjustable without removing the strings, but I never had to remove the strings on the old bridge either.

byoung93888 likes this.
  14. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
  15. basmansam

basmansam Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Vermont
    I’ve had great results with EXL220 BT on all of my ric basses.

Jeff Scott and woodyng2 like this.
  16. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Ohio
    My Rick likes D'Addario EXL-170'S.

Aceonbass likes this.
  17. badiban

badiban

Jul 20, 2017
    USA
    That's impressive, I was under the impression that you had to remove the strings if you want to intonate without stripping the screws. How did you manage to do this without removing the strings?

18. jeff62

jeff62 Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    IME, you don't have to *remove* the strings. I just loosen them up so I can pull the saddle component out, adjust a saddle screw, then slide it back in. It's a PITA, but I don't have to do it that often. It might be possible to loosen and tip that portion up to get to the saddle screws, but I haven't been able to do that.

Aceonbass likes this.
  19. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Northern MA
    IMG_20200214_174731_MP.jpg
    Just picked this up today (and dropped it off at my tech's). Getting a nice setup and a fresh set of rotos :). Played around with it a little and was really digging the feel. Like this a lot better than my old 4003 from 10 years ago.

DaveSill, toothguy, BassGen and 15 others like this.
  20. Skillet

Skillet Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Louisiana
    That's a sleek little batmobile bass you got there. Looks awesome. :)

BrentSimons likes this.