The Rickenbacker Club Part Twelve

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Apr 15, 2014.

1. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil

Aug 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Not actually named Phil
    That p'up cover is so poorly positioned, it's madness! I could get away with it being there, sure, but it's an unnecessary piece of plastic meant only to look like the long-gone horseshoe (which actually had a sonic reason for being that general shape!). Too bad RIC had to then go and steal some intellectual property in order to modernize their design, once they realized someone had created a practical solution to their lack of innovation...

ctmullins likes this.
  2. I've been playing so long that way that it doesn't even bother me. I'll pass.

stevebasshead likes this.
  3. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    A classic and unfortunate case of “form usurps function”. :rollno:

4. isaac42

isaac42

Apr 13, 2003
    When I got my 4003W a few years ago, I initially left the pickup cover on. It looked so nice. But I kept running into it as I played, so it had to come off.

sloppy_phil and StereoPlayer like this.
  5. Rich_Briere

Rich_Briere

Jul 31, 2003
    ric.jpg

I've always felt that if one had to spend $479.36 including Tax and a Hard Shell Case for a Brand New RIC Bass one should have enuff talent to be able to play it as it was built.

Jeff Scott, eddybuzzard and sonic 7 like this.
  6. Rich_Briere

Rich_Briere

Jul 31, 2003
    IMG_2174.jpg

I'd love to see 4003's available with the PUPS that are on my 4005....... #sensiblesolutions :)

7. It's just a feeling. It will pass.

8. sonic 7

sonic 7 Supporting Member

Aug 10, 2011
    Queens, N.Y.C.
    That’s about what I paid for mine in 1976.

Rich_Briere likes this.
  9. You do you. My bass is my bass, even if it bothers you, so sorry about that.

Though I do love the look of the cover and lately I've been playing over the bass pickup more...hmmm.

If only the cover could be snapped on and off quickly instead of requiring surgery. One of these days I might experiment and see if I can't make a metal cover that can do that somehow. I don't have the tools or the skills.

10. metron

metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    Thanks! I put three coats on tung oil on just the neck. After light sanding. Not sure if the prior owner put anything on the body but it doesn’t look like it. It is pretty broken in feeling compared to the newer jetglo which is nice.

jxj likes this.
  11. Aceonbass

Aceonbass Commercial User

Apr 10, 2004
    Parkville,Mo.
    Other than calling their pickup bezel a "pickup bezel" they stole nothing. There was at least one nearly identical part like this around before the Tubeampolgy part, and I as well as others had been making something similar out of acrylic for years before that.

radapaw likes this.
  12. Nice Trio there! :thumbsup:
    Did you mean your 4003S/5 (Dorito Pizza) PUPs, or do you also have a 4005? Toasters?

Do you still have that White Forty Oh One, from the receipt above?

Last edited: May 9, 2021
    Rich_Briere likes this.
  13. sleddogn

sleddogn

Sep 8, 2013
    Just like, I've always felt that if one had to spend 2200 plus tax for a new Ric, rip that sucker right off there LOL:bassist:

Craig T Vector, sunbeast and sonic 7 like this.
  14. Rich_Briere

Rich_Briere

Jul 31, 2003
    "Lack of Innovation" ~ and other Greatest Hits.

#1 is REALLY Important. Above someone mentioned me being "bothered" by things. After spending 5 decades in the M.I. business.....12 years of which included doing Clinics for Fender, 21 Years traveling the planet in Artist Relations for my Favorite Bass Companies, I don't get "bothered" by much of Anything.....although discovering that I'm OUT of Toilet Paper while sitting on the Can and opening every drawer I can reach can be a bit irritating. :)

#2. During clinics I Always, every time, asked people in the audience why they did the things they did. Keeping in mind the Internet was in its infancy, the answers were STILL almost always the same. : "My Cousin Joey told me to buy a Black Bass so I wouldn't look like a Girl". That response was far and away #1...and still is... I do wish this Forum had MANY more Females who participated in these discussions.

My Hometown dealer...recently made a "former dealer".... would only stock Jetglo Ric basses.... No other models. No guitars. When he sold one he'd order another...a year would go by and another Jetglo Bass would arrive. This went on for YEARS! DECADES!!! Ric now has some amazing colors. I would have purchased any Very Nifty Color on my 4005..(not black)...but Mapleglo was the only Color available within 2 hours driving distance.....so I bought it 15 seconds after playing it cuz it was Fabulous.....as 2 other guys stood waiting for me to put it down. Did their drooling matter to me? Not in the least. The Dealer, a good friend, knew I was looking for one, called me and kept it in the box until I arrived. It's a Fabulous bass and pups sound Wonderful.

#3. We need to define "Innovation". :) Who is one of the ONLY manufacturers with the Stones to cut off GC? Correct! RIC. That, my friends, is Innovation. RIC sells every instrument they can produce. "If it ain't broke...etc."

#4....And Lastly..... How many Strat, Tele, P-bass, J-Bass, Les Paul Copies or Heavily Relic-ed "What the Heck is THAT Supposed to be?" instruments does RIC make? Correct! NONE!

Why do I adore RickenBACKer ? Cuz they're Bassilicious. RB

@eddie Rather than post again...Sting bought my White Ric and my one-of-a-kind Gretsch-Orange B4 Guild Bass. I had that made when Fender owned Guild. Once he gets his mind made up on things he'll call 457 times until you surrender....and then laugh at you for giving up. :)

Attached Files:

15. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    Last time I bought a new Ric, it was $1750. These days, I see them for more than that used. It's crazy.

Rich_Briere and StereoPlayer like this.
  16. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    You have evidence of this “nearly identical” part and your own that we can all compare for ourselves? The Rick part pretty clearly copied the designs of the Tubeampology part (it doesn’t take more than a pair of reasonably functional eyes to come to that conclusion), can’t say whether the Tubeampology part did the same from some previous part but do know they were by far the main game in town for a long while for the piece they made.

JMacBass65 likes this.
  17. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Yep , they straight up ripped off the Tubeampology design, right down to the name, no way to polish that turd. It may well have been perfectly legal since the inventor didnt have copyright or a patent on it, which makes it no less reprehensible from a company that always touted its Made in America and IP protection ethos. The inventor told his side of the story on Rickresource for anyone interested. Even the most rabid Rickresource Fanboys were a little disgusted. Water under the bridge, I guess, Tubeampology is still in business, and Ric is still selling the ripoff version. If you care about IP protection, and want a bezel, you have a choice, spend as your conscience dictates.

JMacBass65 and sloppy_phil like this.
  18. sleddogn

sleddogn

Sep 8, 2013
    Yeah, its the limited edition colors that are priced above the standard ones.

19. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    Ah yes, the $1000 up-charge for a paint job.

20. Well, if the price of lumber keeps going up, people might start buying basses just for the wood.

donhank and mapleglo like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021