The Rickenbacker Club Part Twelve

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Koshchei

Koshchei

Mar 17, 2019
    Peterborough, ON
    The IRS needs to make an exemption on taxing inventory where lumber is concerned. The just-in-time model that the industry had been forced to adopt in order to survive is completely broken. We need to go back to having large lumberyards with stickered stock.

Pantone 333 and BlueTalon like this.
  2. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    3/4" plywood is up to $70 a sheet at HD on Cape Cod. Think I'll wait on that router table project I had in mind! The local builders are freaking out at the cost increases for everything. Some of it pretty blatant price-gouging and artifical shortages, but once the pandemic is over, I doubt it will ever drop all the way back to former prices. I don't know if Luthiery-grade lumber is subject to the same demand pressure, on the Cape it's all going into new McMansions for people who realized they don't have to commute to NYC anymore, when they can work from home in their underwear. Curious to see what happens to guitar prices next year.

Rich_Briere, MG Wolf and Aceonbass like this.
  3. Drog

Drog

Feb 3, 2020
    Could you post a picture of the back of the neck? I have been thinking of doing something similar with mine

4. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Similarly, I read about folks who want to get into playing fretless bass; they try one out at their local BBME for 2.374 minutes and say, "Nope, this thing sux!"

What your favorite "flavor"? ;)

Oil.jpg

At first, I thought it was simply a typo... :smug:

Rich_Briere and eddybuzzard like this.
  5. You know Jeff, it has been a while since we've seen a pic of an actual 4005, with all this talk of "4005XC",
    and unseen 4005...didn't you used to have a JG, like the real thing kind? :D

Jeff Scott and Rich_Briere like this.
  6. Ringhammer

Ringhammer Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2016
    S. F. Bay Area

Alternatively, I found a great deal on a lined fretless 7ender American Jazz Bass last year, just prior to a serious broken left wrist injury. The first thing I played when I could start playing again was this fretless J and, I found it to be a dream to play with light flats on it. I call it my cheater fretless, since it has lines, and since then I have purchased two other early ‘70’s P-Bass un-lined fretless’ and these are my favorites to play lately. HOWEVER, while I do not proclaim to be a great fretless player, it is certainly not as impossible to do play as I had always thought it would be. And I find it a great way to practice and makes a fretted feel even easier to play.

Someday I may look into a Ric fretless too.
    (I figured I’d better add that since this is a Ric thread.)

But seriously, my MB 4003, 4003S/W and MapleGlo 4003/5 aren’t fretless, but, knowing my OCD about my collection, I’d bet I’ll start searching for a fretless sometime soon since my small collection of 4003’s seems incomplete without a fretless.

GAS…
    …it’s a wonder I’m not homeless…

Rich_Briere and Jeff Scott like this.
  7. metron

metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    Sure the lighting might make a difference here. Overhead cans are on where the last pic was this afternoon with the blinds open. I applied the oil from the heel ridge to just under the headstock wings. It doesnt really make a color difference but it imparts a bit of 3D effect on the wood grain. Feels great but the whole process absolutely sucked.

7ED7FBE4-B887-4A41-839B-7CA5D2383FEF.jpeg B843DE83-2ACE-4488-8BB3-5AE7950D2283.jpeg

8. Sodbuster

Sodbuster Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2015
    The Frozen Tundra
    My first Ric (4003W) will probably arriving by the end of the week. A 2015 I believe. Stoked!

9. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Yeah, my first Rick that I got in 1973 (sold it in 2011). February '67 4005WB.

Jeff_800_088.jpg

I started playing fretless pretty much as a soon as I heard Unorthodox Behaviour in 1976. I gently ripped the frets out of the 1972 Telecaster Bass I had at the time.

Here's my old 4003FL (a friend from the RRF has it now).

Jeff-1200_03.jpg

10. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Here's a pic of my old one- I had applied several layers of Tru-oil to the neck and a few to the body as well. It did help the neck immensely in both feel and appearance, but also made the body "pop" a bit more: SOLD - 2015 Rickenbacker 4003SW Walnut 4003S

jxj likes this.
  11. jxj

jxj

Apr 1, 2021
    beyond the pale
    I've owned a Ric 650D guitar for about 15 years now. It's basically the same finish as the 4003W/4003SW. The literature when I purchased it said that I may need to apply tung oil periodically, but I never have. Tung oil formulations vary so much between manufacturers, it's hard to know what you are using. In other wood working projects, I have had significant gummy build up from "pure" tung oil, which makes me suspect some of the better performing products are anything but pure.

Anyhow, compared to my 650D, metron and sunbeast's guitars are definitely darker, richer. Which is nice, because I love the feel of the rubbed oil finish on the neck, but stock photos of the 4003W model with white shark fins on a pale maple neck have looked odd to me. Much better with some dirt on the board, imo.

metron and eddybuzzard like this.
  12. Drog

Drog

Feb 3, 2020
    Thanks for the pics

13. metron

metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    I used minwax on the neck

14. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    My SW’s neck felt and looked basically like bare wood when I got it and the fretboard collected dirt like a sponge. The Tru-oil worked a charm both functionally and aesthetically IMO. Highly recommended!

15. Rich_Briere

Rich_Briere

Jul 31, 2003
    Innovation ...... We wonder how important Dealers are in determining the New directions that RIC takes. I’m not connected to Andy or his store in any way ..... but he sure has helped put RIC on some exciting paths. :) 57A89C3B-BF30-40DB-AF01-D5E13F167DB3.jpeg

16. isaac42

isaac42

Apr 13, 2003
    Maybe.
    When I found myself playing keyboards in a band, I figured I'd best get the best gear I could, to cover up for my lack of talent!

Aceonbass and Rich_Briere like this.
  17. Rich_Briere

Rich_Briere

Jul 31, 2003
    I DID mean 4003S/5 and I appreciate you calling my attention to my error.

eddybuzzard likes this.
  18. ProbablyTooLoud

ProbablyTooLoud

Aug 1, 2020
    Atlanta
    Be patient.
    Your 4003fl is out there.
    I found mine for a reasonable price.

Ringhammer likes this.
  19. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I disclose nothing
  20. farace

farace Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2016
    Connecticut USA
    About a year ago I found mine. I posted wanted ads here, in Facebook Ric groups, on RRF, and kept an eye on eBay and Reverb. Patience is key. A number of overpriced or project-level instruments showed up, but eventually the right one appeared at the right price, and I’m happy with it.

MG Wolf likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021