The Rickenbacker Club Part Twelve

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Apr 15, 2014.

1. ProbablyTooLoud

ProbablyTooLoud

Aug 1, 2020
    Atlanta
    That's exactly how I found mine.
    In my little GAS world, I struck gold: an unplayed '08 fl that sat in a case from its original purchase until I bought it in November 2020.
    I made a realistic offer, it was accepted, I got the bass, had to spend a little to get it up to playing speed, and boom: I have my dream bass.
    Well, it's jetglo not fireglo, but still.
    Your bass is out there!

MG Wolf and farace like this.
  2. isaac42

isaac42

Apr 13, 2003
    Some say there's no money above the fifth fret. Some say the seventh. Others say that they never play above the double dots. Then there are a few who say that they can't play without at least 24 frets. Different people, different points of view.

For myself, I've been known to play above the twelfth fret. I don't think I made any extra money from it, though.

0&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=09cbfe&_nc_ohc=EMintbBjyIkAX9X7s5D&tn=19-PwSHSQdboh8HT&_nc_ht=scontent.fhio2-2.jpg

3. ProbablyTooLoud

ProbablyTooLoud

Aug 1, 2020
    Atlanta
    That 4005 looks way cooler to me than those new versions they're putting out.
    Sweet.

4. ProbablyTooLoud

ProbablyTooLoud

Aug 1, 2020
    Atlanta
    Speaking of fretless basses, has anyone here ever A/B'd a Rick fl with a Tony Franklin?

5. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    There's always hope...

Jeff-1200_46.jpg

6. sonic 7

sonic 7 Supporting Member

Aug 10, 2011
    Queens, N.Y.C.
    I’ve never made money on any fret.

7. metron

metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    I was just going to say...

Spidey2112 and Jeff Scott like this.
  8. So glad you enjoyed/experienced owning the 4005!

Is that a stereo jack behind the 4 controls? Or...

Jeff Scott likes this.
  9. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Yep, ROS. I only played around with it a bit in early '80s, jamming with friends, before I moved to L.A.

Stephent28 and StereoPlayer like this.
  10. larrysb

larrysb

Mar 23, 2020
    $ilicon Valley
    I've made ones of dollars on the frets...

BlueTalon likes this.
  11. metron

metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    I’ve been messing around with stereo on my 4003 and have a few questions for you guys. Bear with me here, I hope I can explain.

Stereo into two separate amps sounds like each individual pick up coming from different sources, which is fine. But one thing I noticed is when I run the stereo cable into two channels of my focusrite and mix the channels evenly, listening through headphones, it sounds very similar to both pickups from the mono output. But not exactly the same. There is the comb filter scoop effect in the stereo example but with more clarity, punch, and ring than both going to mono. I think. I hope I’m explaining this in a way that makes sense.

Maybe I’m hearing things here but I think there is a difference. Could this be due to active versus passive mixing of the pickups? Or perhaps its a function of the pickups having somewhat different output levels in the mono example? Or even pick up heights making a difference in the output in the mono example?

Ultimately I’m wondering is do you think I can achieve this clarity and sound with both pickups from the mono output if I tweaked the pickup heights to balance their output, or is stereo the only way to get this clear ringy scooped tone?

12. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil

Aug 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Not actually named Phil
    Well, going in stereo, you are getting the full frequency response of both pickups in full, whereas in the mono setting, there is a reasonable amount of mid-scoop going on when both pickups interact with each other in the middle position. Chances are, you are indeed also getting a bigger output in stereo mode, since it's two pickups worth of output instead of just "one" in mono, but you can balance output easily enough in your DAW or on the interface to account for that. Which makes me think you are just hearing the full range of sound from both pickups at the same time, and you are digging it! Which, let's be real, is pretty hard not to dig.

FWIW, I really like the mono middle position as well; I play rather a lot of reggae, and having that slightly hollowed out middle position is a great sound for sitting in those super-dense-and-yet-seemingly-sparse mixes. EDIT: And plenty of other stuff, too! But I *really* like it for that specific purpose

Last edited: May 13, 2021
    metron likes this.
  13. metron

metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    That’s the weird thing is that I hear the both pick ups from mono mid scoop almost exactly the same with each individual pick up running through the mixer in separate channels. It’s just a bit brighter and more clear.

So its actually not sounding like both pickups full range post mix if that makes sense. The same filtering effect is happening.

sloppy_phil likes this.
  14. isaac42

isaac42

Apr 13, 2003
    My first thought is that it could be something as simple as impedance loading. By going into two separate channels, you are effectively buffering the pickup outputs before mixing them together. As you put it, active mixing rather than passive.

rickdog, Spectrum, BlueTalon and 2 others like this.
  15. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil

Aug 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Not actually named Phil
    Hmmm, I think I misunderstood your initial post. Whoops!

This is perhaps too simple, but have you tried hard panning the two separate pickups in the headphones? I run them stereo into my interface as well (one direct thru instrument DI, the second one via an amp's DI out into the XLR channel), but I've never noticed a problem with getting the comb filter scoop that way. I feel like they each lose a bit of their individual definition/character when they are placed directly on top of each other, so even a small bit of L/R panning seems to ensure I get the full range of both p'ups sound

rickdog, StereoPlayer and metron like this.
  16. I simply just like it...

17. metron

metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    No worries and thanks for the responses. The pan is a good idea, see if I can separate them within the mix and test that out a bit. I might mess with the volume levels too and see if it mimics the function of the volume pots. I expect it will.

To be honest I don’t really consider it a problem, I love the tone I’m getting with stereo into 2 channels mixed. Just sort of trying to figure out why/how its just a little different from mono and whether or not actually need to run stereo to get this level of clarity out of the “scooped both pick ups” sound. Or if I can achieve it with mono which is obviously more practical for real world use.

sloppy_phil likes this.
  18. metron

metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    Im guessing this is the answer.

rickdog and Jeff Scott like this.
  19. You are eq-ing each PU separately. It sounds great that way.

Spectrum and metron like this.
  20. WillyWonka

WillyWonka My roadworn is in mint condition Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2019
    I plug mine in and it goes thump. If don't thump like I like it, I turn some knobs.

That is the extent of my audio knowledge.

I'm predominantly a neck pickup player.

I kept plugging into my ric-0-sound and wondering what was wrong with my bass.

both jacks are mono now

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021