The Rickenbacker Club Part Twelve

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Apr 15, 2014.

1. MG Wolf

MG Wolf Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2014
    Due East
    Almost forgot: I think the wings may be “suspect” as well. :eyebrow:

E15AE286-C62F-4357-B051-C6063CFD5F84.jpeg

2. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Rich_Briere and Rezdog like this.
  3. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    You could do a "Snow White"!

Paul-Graham_800_5243.jpg

woodyng2, nixdad, 12BitSlab and 4 others like this.
  4. I was too young to play in bands back then, it seems like it was a great time to be in one. Especially if you get to show up in cool photos like that with some snappy duds and a white Ric.

5. WillyWonka

WillyWonka Yes, I act just like this in person. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2019
    Rich_Briere likes this.
  6. PaulBoyer

PaulBoyer Commercial User

Jan 27, 2012
    Wisconsin
    That's me with Rick collector Graham Griffiths. The White Rick was a Dale Fortune refin of a V63. He did it for a previous owner before me. I think the Horseshoe was a real one, and Dale stained the fingerboard and head wings to make it look like ebony. Sweet bass. I sold it back in 2013. The red Höfner and the Ricks behind us were also part of my collection. There are five on the rack, but all I can see is a (possibly)2006 75th Anniversary Dark Cherry Metallic 4003, my '72 4001 in "berry burst" (I used to call it "mink"), and a rare 2000 Sea Green 4003. Was that RIO, Jeff?

7. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    Yes, that was RIO!!!. June '08 (Juno Eight).

8. Rich_Briere

Rich_Briere

Jul 31, 2003
    And what Happened in Rio STAYS in Rio ! :D

WillyWonka and Jeff Scott like this.
  9. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    Oh, we have pretty juicy stuff we could talk about, but we won't. ;)

WillyWonka likes this.
  10. PrairieThunder13

PrairieThunder13

Dec 21, 2015
    I would totally do that. Every time you show that thing off i want to find it. Wouldn't be a hard conversion, but i want that one!

11. WillyWonka

WillyWonka Yes, I act just like this in person. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2019
    Dude! it's a bunch of bass players and no chics.... I'm sure there was quite the party...

download.jpg

Scarysharkface and 12BitSlab like this.
  12. For looks. Sound-wise, of course that would be quite limiting, but I could envision it being entirely giggable with a Bartolini or some-such aftermarket pickup under the cover. If I had a half-dozen Ric basses, it would be a fun diversion, but I don't so instead I just ask odd questions on the internets.

John

ProbablyTooLoud likes this.
  13. ProbablyTooLoud

ProbablyTooLoud

Aug 1, 2020
    Atlanta
    You're definitely in the bassest place on the web.
    These guys know Rics for sure.
    Jeff Scott probably has a picture of himself playing a gig on one with the exact mod you describe.
    Maybe he posted it already cause it's been literally hours since I checked in here.

Scarysharkface and 12BitSlab like this.
  14. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Anyone here using LTF's?

I'm Getting ready to put Some La'Bella LTF's on my 4003. It's a hard choice for me because I love the tone of the stock rounds(so sweet). But I bought this Maple-Glo for a project that is Blues, Folk, Rock & Some Jazz.

My action is perfect right now. Just low enough for some Growl/clank if I dig in.

So I am wondering how you like them and how they took to your setup. Sort of a what to expect question I guess.

Any and all comments will be greatly appreciated.

woodyng2 likes this.
  15. kbakerde

kbakerde Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2012
    I need some help. I'm trying to set up my new 4003s FG bass and having some trouble. Luckily the relief is in a good spot, so I don't have to worry about the double truss rod issue. String height was also easy to adjust, and I was able to lower it right where I like it.

Intonation, however, has been a different manner. The bass shipped with two different sizes of allen wrenches, one which is supposed to be used for the saddle height, the other is unknown. I thought it would be for the intonation, as the screws there are not Philips head screws but something else. However I cannot get the wrench to make contact and actually make an adjustment. Any help?

This is a 2021 4003s with the V2 bridge. Thank you.

16. StereoPlayer likes this.
  17. woodyng2

woodyng2 Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    I’ve had an LTF set on my GL jb2 for several years now, and really love them. I haven’t tried them on any of my Ricks yets. The strings are very low tension,so you should expect to have to adjust your trussrods at the least. (And likely your bridge/intonation as well).
    The LTF set is very similar in gauge and roundcore construction to the Optima RB set.
    The main difference is more steel content in the Labellas vs nickle for the RBs.

FunkHead likes this.
  18. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    woodyng2 likes this.
  19. davelowell2

davelowell2 Uhh... FaFaFooey is BaBaBooey... Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    NY
    @woodyng2 Is the Optima RB set also pretty low tension?

woodyng2 likes this.
  20. sonic 7

sonic 7 Supporting Member

Aug 10, 2011
    Queens, N.Y.C.
    The intonation screws use a 3/32 hex key.

kbakerde likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021