The Rickenbacker Club Part Twelve

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Apr 15, 2014.

1. +1!
    Had to like it twice!

2. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    NEOhio
    Yeah, I prefer to be able to stop a note short when desired than to not be able to let it ring out for the duration needed.

3. Heck, if I let a note ring out too long, I lose interest! :D

Relsom and Aceonbass like this.
  4. Or you get a dirty look from a band member…

mjm0 likes this.
  5. Jigmay

Jigmay

Mar 24, 2004
    Halifax
    WELL DONE! THANKS! Looks like a PF-50 to me as well.:thumbsup:

6. isaac42

isaac42

Apr 13, 2003
    Took my new 4005XC to band practice today. I was eager to hear it through a real bass rig.

I expected to like it. I also rather expected that the bridge pickup would be too close to the bridge to be useful on its own. So I thought it'd be neck pickup, with more or less bridge added in.

First thing was that the guitarists loved the way it looked. Bandleader raved about it. "Best looking bass you own." Guess he's a fireglo fan.

And the sound! I freely admit that I was wrong. The bridge pickup is strong and clear. I might still like it better a bit farther from the bridge, but it sounds just fine where it is. In fact, I was surprised that it dominated the sound of the bass. By itself, the neck pickup seemed a bit weak.

Then conversation turned to the legendary fifth knob. What does it do? I couldn't tell them. I've read the section of the Rickenbacker manual a few times, and I still don't understand. What I did discover was that turning the fifth knob down gave me back the neck pickup volume I'd been missing. Now, I need to sit down and read it again with the bass in my hands, follow the instructions, and see if it will be useful to me.

I didn't even notice that it was short scale. Intonation was very close, maybe a cent or two off way up the (24 fret!) neck. Might could use to have the nut slots lowered slightly. Overall, the setup by Wildwood was very good. Better than most of my basses. The neck felt a bit thicker than most of my other basses, but I stopped noticing after I started playing.

It's definitely a hit. And so much fun to play! Really loves a pick.

izzysane, msb, woodyng2 and 9 others like this.
  7. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    NEOhio
    The fifth knob is an attenuator for the neck pickup. It's third lug, the one that would be grounded on a normal volume control, is not connected to anything, and the control is wired backwards as you have discovered. It is wired in series with the neck pickup's volume control. As it is rolled down volume-wise (CW rotation), it is adding series resistance to the neck pickup so as the level goes down the tone gets much darker, too. I found it useful on the '98 360V64 and '67 330 I had, to provide a more muted, jazzy tone to the guitar, but usually left the control fully CCW (full volume).

I don't recall, do these 4005XC basses have the .0047 µF cap in-line with the bridge pickup? My old 4005WB did not, and I found the bridge pickup quite useful on its own.

PrairieThunder13 likes this.
  8. TTA

TTA

Jun 10, 2021
    Your reply makes me want to wire a ric’s three way switch in series. Bridge, nexk series. The series setting for my dingwall is just so massive sounding.

9. isaac42

isaac42

Apr 13, 2003
    6&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=aee45a&_nc_ohc=OuFUzrogtfUAX8BOSix&tn=DUv-PQ8Lm6k0jpBd&_nc_ht=scontent.fhio2-1.jpg

eddybuzzard, SJLee, 12BitSlab and 7 others like this.
  10. ctmullins

ctmullins Dominated Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Dang, that’s purty.

11. isaac42

isaac42

Apr 13, 2003
    It is, innit? My first fireglo.

nixdad, BlueTalon and woodyng2 like this.
  12. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    NEOhio
    I bought my first FG Rick in February '03:

July '73 4001
    4001 Body M 1280 02.jpg
    That's a RI HS PU that I installed in it.

Previous to it was my '67 4005WB (JG) bought in 1973, and the the first brand new Rick I bought in the mid '70s, a MG 4001 (sorry, no pics of it); it was my DiscoDaze® bass.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
    mjm0, Diamond.Jig, Dabndug and 11 others like this.
  13. timplog

timplog Supporting Member

Jul 18, 2016
    santa fe, new mexico
    +++++

14. Steve Cooke

Steve Cooke

Dec 26, 2018
    N.E PA, USA
    Amazing. Looks like its right out of Geddy's book.

15. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    NEOhio
    I haven't seen his book, yet, and that photograph was made (by me) long before his book was even a twinkle in his eye! :smug:

12BitSlab, Steve Cooke and Spidey2112 like this.
  16. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Gezundheit.

stevebasshead, BlueTalon and WillyW like this.
  17. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    NEOhio
    Aren't you up on your alphabet soup? :eyebrow:

ReIssue HorseShoe PickUp. ;)

Spidey2112 likes this.
  18. WillyW

WillyW l’art pour l’art, fonction de baise Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2019
    My alphabit cereal is haunted... it just says "oooooooooooooooooo"

mjm0, Shaggai, Spidey2112 and 3 others like this.
  19. 71iqz2fQLsL._SL1263_.jpg

Spidey2112 likes this.
  20. isaac42

isaac42

Apr 13, 2003
    That's not alphabet cereal. It's Cheerios.