1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Rickenbacker question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by realwolfen, Nov 15, 2017.

Tags:
  1. woodyng2

woodyng2 Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    And of course,even Chris owned and played several Fenders (and a lakland p) throughout his career.

Killed_by_Death and NealBass like this.
  2. realwolfen

realwolfen

Nov 14, 2017
    Oh, so pretty!

3. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

^This. A thousand times - this! :thumbsup::cool:

bobyoung53 and BrentSimons like this.
  4. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    I still love Rics but I owned two and returned both for a few reasons:

1. The slab top - I know this isn't an issue on all models, but it is a major comfort issue for me that I'd rather not deal with.

2. The hum - the pickups hum a good deal. It's not a big issue in a mix but it's a bit annoying when recording.

3. The price - I picked up both of mine for a very reasonable price, but they are still expensive basses. Personally, I feel safer gigging less expensive basses like Fenders.

4. Sharp edges - particularly around the bridge pickup and the saddle, Rics just seem to have a lot of sharp edges that hurt if you scrape them. Total first world problem but still a problem.

5. Setup - it's just harder to do compared to other basses. Granted, Rics do seem to maintain their setup as well if not better than other high quality instruments.

All that said, I love Rics. I'd love to one day own a 4003s. But for now, my Jazz is just fine :)

5. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    Geddy started on a p-bass ... then when he got a record deal he bought a Ric ... he picked up his jazz bass in a pawn shop years later.

6. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I'd be all over that!

7. mikeyjm2

mikeyjm2 Keepin' it simple.

Dec 31, 2014
    Houston, TX
    Same here. I do gig my 4003 sometimes but I've gigged my J more by at least a factor of 10. The J being "more comfortable and ergonomically friendly" is a spot-on reason why.

8. Runlikegregg

Runlikegregg

Dec 31, 2011
    Brooklyn
    I did that. Went from a Ric 4001 to a G&L LB100 (P bass).
    For me it was that the P bass was sturdier in both tone and ;construction - had more low end and a more solidly bass tone - guess that means the Ric tone always felt a bit high and maybe hi-mid forward without as much oomf in the low (for me).
    but also felt less finicky than my Ric, which was very sensitive to season changes, humidity changes, etc.

desertrider71 likes this.
  9. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    My 4003 has sharp bound body edges, not all are like that. Ones like below makes playing them against your body a bit easier.

23FE84E6-23F5-4B01-8730-2F7632FAD501.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
  10. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    The beauty of the 4003sw basses is you can actually take a little oil and sandpaper and round the edges a little more than the factory does.

4003sw%20023.

4003sw5%20012.

mikecd1 and BrentSimons like this.
  11. Chuck Cote (The Reverse Engineers) has recently switched. He uses P-bass with bass amp to get some of the Rick low end. He was exclusively Rick for 20 years, and won't tell me why he switched. This video, in a nutshell, is why I switched:

realwolfen likes this.
  12. woodyng2

woodyng2 Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    And.....closure.

13. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Ohio
    I would'nt let that tool adjust a TV antenna. Let alone a bass.

14. Hey, I spent more in repairs, adjustments, and strings for my 4001 than I did for the instrument !

That will make anyone want to get drunk and make a video!

15. BrentSimons

BrentSimons Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2004
    Vergennes,VT USA
    Steve Harris.

electracoyote and desertrider71 like this.
  16. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    I just listened to this old Yes Live "Lost Broadcast" Youtube video again, kind of the textbook example of the tone Squire was able to coax out of a Ric, because it comes naturally to that instrument. If you don't dig that tone, there are plenty of others on tap, and he demonstrates a few, but I don't know of any other bass that's so immediately and unmistakeably identifiable as a particular instrument, with no special EQ, effects, or whatnot. This recording sounds like it was taken pretty much raw right off the board, and it's the tone that first turned me on to bass. A P-Bass is just never going to sound like this without a lot of smoke and mirrors.

NealBass, woodyng2 and realwolfen like this.
  17. Lots of people here commenting on Chris, who I met twice in the 1990's, and we talked a lot about basses. He did not play a Rick on "Union" or "Talk," and was finding them uncomfortable. In later years, the only times I saw him use a Rick onstage were for songs he recorded on a Rick. RIP, my friend....I cried on the day you died, and I'm Aussie....so that's something.

woodyng2, realwolfen and Gilmourisgod like this.
  18. PaulBoyer

PaulBoyer Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 27, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Was that the Fireglo you bought from me? Yeah, I noticed it was heavier than other 4004Ls, but I thought the neck was OK.

19. I bought it from the guy you sold it to (EyeBall Kid) , and the neck is probably what made it so heavy.
    At least the wiring is really great now:

IMG_20151125_142010440.

Maybe I wouldn't like any RIC neck, but I think that 1997 model had the thicker neck that was popular for modding to 5-strings.
    I recently had the opportunity to buy another 4004 for only $1,500 & it was only 8-1/2 lbs...
    but I ended up with the Ibanez Premium after talking to the local RIC dealer & he told me if I didn't like chunky necks I was barking up the wrong tree

20. PaulBoyer

PaulBoyer Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 27, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Right! You were the fourth owner (as far as I can tell). I bought in off eBay around 2005. Still one of the prettiest Ricks that I had.