Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Rickey sound...how!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by PasdaBeer, Jun 10, 2004.

1. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    lookin to get a Rickenbacker sound out of a basss im building....

how close are the bart' replacment pups, or any other brands for that matter....

and anyone seen a rickey style pup for a FIVE string bass?

( btw the bass is a maple body,maple/purple heart neck threw, and either a maple or rosewood.......possible zebra wood just for kicks fretboard )

thanks in advance!

Zac

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    For What It's Worth:

Ric does make a 5 string - in limited numbers, and special order I'd guess. Somebody said they saw one in a store in Minnesota. To my knowledge there are no 5 string Ric replacements.

I have a set of Duncan Rics and they are decent pups. Don't know how they compare to original Rics cause they didn't go into a Ric Bass. But I've been told by Ric owners who've made the swap the originals have less output than the Duncans. No comments on tone. From what I've read the Bart replacements are closer to original Ric tone but have that Bartness about them - so not just the same.

But pups pickup the inherent acoustic tone of a bass so even originals will sound different in different basses. I've swapped my Duncans from an acoustically dark bass to an acoustically bright bass and the pups brighten up in the process. And it goes without saying that moving the pups either direction (regarding your routing) will alter the tone considerably. Friend with a 4001 is supposed to be getting me the measurements from the twelfth fret for the pups, but ain't got them yet.

3. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    very cool

when ya get those mesurments send em my way : )

i just mainly wanna get the nice trebbley sound from the Ric, ive herd it has alot to do with the solid rock maple.

Im goin to be adding a bypassable Pre amp to it, so i could tweak the tone a bit more then if i were to use only the pups.

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    The SD Rics have plenty of treble. There's a review on them under Dimento's HB style experiment. I stuck them there cause the Ric stuff seemed to fit more in a catch-all category than their own. Maybe I'll split it out if I run across more Ric pups.

5. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    cool, ill have to give a look see and try to find me a 5 string version of it.

6. Prahainspring

Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    I had to dig this up:
    Has anyone put rickenbacker pickups into a bass thats not a Rickenbacker? I've seen a Rickenbacker with jazz pickups but not a Jazz with Rickenbacker pickups.

7. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    On the Rickenbacker Forum, I think I remember reading about one guy who built his own bass and used a pair of Rickenbacker vintage-style toaster pickups on it to great effect.

8. Prahainspring

Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    Just what I wanted to hear.