Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The "RICKY"????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass-only, Mar 15, 2002.

1. Bass-only

Bass-only Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2001
    Cleveland
  2. Winston TK

Winston TK Hairpiece Adventurer

Oct 8, 2001
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    Sure.

I hear the term "Ricky" all the time. I hate it, though. It's a bit too cutesy. "Ric", "Rick" or the full "Rickenbacker" are, for me, the only acceptable references.

As far as the price? Welcome to eBay!

Some people can be a tad out of touch. What they fail to realize is that making any kind of modification to a Rickenbacker bass drastically REDUCES its potential resale value. Even if these modifications are truly beneficial. Mint sells. Anything else is a crapshoot.

3. i have never in my life seen a rick with a p/j combination, don't they ussually have those rickenbacker p/ups?

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i seriously doubt that's an orginal ric body, and that neck is definitely not an original ric neck - they _never_ had block inlays, to the best of my knowldge.

that's probably one of the old ibanez ric-ripoffs.

ric basses are also neck through, and that thing is definitely not.

5. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    Looks tight as crap though...for $76 I'll buy it....

6. Holy monkey bladders! Whoever did that is lucky that's not a real Rick they molested, I'd probably lose it... lol

I trust John Hall will shut this one down pretty quick...

"Ricky" my ass.

--jeff

7. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    I emailed the guy already and told him it was not a RIC. That's me, self-appointed RIC vigilante. Biggest giveaway to me though is that the routing matches the jazz pickup. I have heard some people refer to RICS as Rickies. RIC is acceptable, or Rickenbacker, to me. Rickie is disrespectful. :D

8. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    Its missing a name plate too....if it stays at the same price, I'm gonna buy the thing...it'll sit right beside my Ric...it'll be like its jazz bass couterpart...or no wait its a P...gay

9. Intrepid, if you want to buy this bass, I'd suggest you quickly note down the seller's email address so you can make a deal with him outside of eBay, because the moment Rickenbacker's legal team/John Hall finds about about the false representation, they will shut down the listing...

--jeff

10. nope, that definately isn't an Ibanez. Ibanez did make quite good copies, they even made neck through Rick copies....... I have got an Ibanez Rick bass from 1973 (which has got real Rick picks up in it now a days) and I have had a real Rick from a friend just on loan and they really, really looked alike.

11. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    cool. i wasn't sure if ibanez made sorta mutant rics or not, where they had the same body but the different pickups in them.

i know that univox also used to make a ric-off, so to speak.