Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

the right 4x10?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chris3142, Jul 3, 2002.

1. I've decided on what head i shoud buy, I think i'm going to go with the Ampeg B-2r and now It's just a matter of picking the right cab to go with it. I've searched far and wide for a used Ampeg 6x10, which is what I would really like, but I can't afford it new and I can't find a used one. So I'm thinking that i'm going to have to go with a 4x10, I'm looking at Carvin, Peavey, Hartke, and Ampeg. When it comes to price, I've got about $500 to spend on the cab. I'd rather buy new, but going used probably wont be a problem. What does anyone think of these company's 4x10's? Which has the most full tone? I'm looking for a 4 ohm cab. I play a stingray. Any input on what i should go for?

2. I'll say that the Ampeg SVT410 HLF (the one with ports and a horn) is the best sounding cab I've ever played through. You can usually get them for around $500 or less used.

3. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    If you can wait get the 6x10 otherwise I think you should get the SVT410 HE which is at 8 ohms then add a SVT210 later.

4. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    If you have a stingray i think you'll be happy with a b2 head. I have the combo version and it works pretty well for me. Hartke's cab's are okay but I don't think that the aluminum cones really sound that pure or that they reproduce your bass sound that well, that's just my opinion and i haven't played through a lot so i can't say for sure. But a lot of really good jazz and blues players play through them as well as Tom from Aerosmith and the bass player from Bon Jovi. Don't go with Carvin because you can spend a little more a better cab and you'll just be kicking yourself for getting that later. I say this because the 4x10 cab's (which don't come in 4 ohm version I believe so you'd only have 200 watts) don't handle low frequencies that well. They're construction also is a bit questionable. Most Ampeg cabs though you can't go wrong with (except the b-series). That would be a good bet if you wanted to get a cab to match your head. But don't limit yourself to a 4x10 cab. If I were you I'd look hard for an older Mesa Boogie Diesel 4x10 or 6x10. These are the best sounding cabs I've ever heard but Mesa discountinued them because they were so heavy...they really are. But you can find them used for around 500. You could also probably find a used 2x15 for it. But another cab you could probably find on ebay would be an swr goliath 3 or a goliath 2 (older version). SWR has great quality stuff. The contrstuctioin is great as is the sound and quality. Getting a goliath 3 8ohm and then later getting a son of bertha to go under it would be awesome. Just look around and you'll find a deal. I did that and i found a guy selling a Mesa Boogie 400+(500 watts tube) and a powerhouse 1000 cab (4x10, 1x15) in great shape for 1200. Just keep your eyes open and do a lot of research and then make a wise purchase now so you don't have to make one later.

5. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska