Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The right (Avatar) cab for the right job...???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mikarre, Nov 2, 2003.

1. mikarre

mikarre Guest

Yes, I did do a bunch of searches before posting this, ;) but I couldn't find anything that really helped me much.

I've pretty much decided to get a Hartke 3500 head. I've had this amp before and I liked it. As you may know, it's rated at 350 watts @ 4 ohm and 240 @ 8 ohms. I've also pretty much decided to go with Avatar cabs.

What I need to figure out is what I realistically should be expecting when I start looking for gigging situations. What cabinet, or combination of cabinets, should I consider? I could start with the 2x10 Avatar at 8 ohm and run the 3500 through that at 240 watts until I can afford a 1x15 sub. The drawback to this is that if I wanted to run the amp at the full 350 watts I would need to lug 2 cabs around. I'd also have to buy 2 cabs instead of 1.

Another option is to get a 4 ohm stand alone cab. Either the 4x10, 2x12, or a 1x15. Then I could run the full 350 watts though 1 cab, but the drawback would be that I am stuck with that cab and can never add another one (since it would be 4 ohm and that's the minimum rating for the 3500). And no matter the gig, I'd have a full size cab to haul around.

Option #3 is the Hartke VX3500 combo. It's the 3500 head combined with a Hartke 4x10 VX cab to make a one unit combo. It reminds me of when I had my old 3500 amp in a Genz Benz 115 convertible cabinet. But, after reading that it was 106 lbs and a few other negative things about the VX cabs, I am kinda turned off. But it's a one piece amp that runs at 350 watts.

Sorry about all my batty amp questions, I really am getting closer to figuring out what I am doing. I just need some opinions from people who have been in gigging situations and know what they need. Last time I was in a band I used that Hartke 3500 / Genz Benz 115 combo. It was big and heavy but it sounded good and was very loud.

Thanks, all opinions welcome.

2. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Would recommend one B212 w/Delta drivers in the 4ohm config.

Possibly two CB112's w/8ohm Deltas.

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Do you play only 4 string? Also, are you mostly a metal player or what?

By nature of the Delta 10 in. speakers, Avatar 10 in. cabinets aren't designed to go too deep.

How about something like an 8 ohm Delta 12LF loaded B212 and an 8 ohm CB115H. Either cabinet would have decent lows (the 2x12 is better) and good highs (thanks to the Fostex tweeter). The 12s give a fatter midrange. Together, these cabinets are pretty lethal (although I haven't gigged with mine yet) I have two stacks of cabinets, a 2x10/1x15 stack which are similar to the Avatars you're considering and the other stack is the B212/CB115H pair that I just described. The lows on the Avatar pair are much more pronounced than with a pair of 10s and a 15.

While the CB115 (when laid on its side) is a little wider than the B212, Dave included some rubber feet to make stacking easier.

A picture of my rig is shown in the "Show Us Your Amps" thread, pretty close to the end.

If you can only afford one at a time, I'd get an 8 ohm 2x12 first. You'd benefit more from adding additional speakers to drop down to 4 ohms than you would by putting all the power into one 4 ohm cabinet.

Have fun!!!!!