The right (Avatar) cab for the right job...???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mikarre, Nov 2, 2003.

1. mikarre

mikarre Guest

Yes, I did do a bunch of searches before posting this, ;) but I couldn't find anything that really helped me much.

I've pretty much decided to get a Hartke 3500 head. I've had this amp before and I liked it. As you may know, it's rated at 350 watts @ 4 ohm and 240 @ 8 ohms. I've also pretty much decided to go with Avatar cabs.

What I need to figure out is what I realistically should be expecting when I start looking for gigging situations. What cabinet, or combination of cabinets, should I consider? I could start with the 2x10 Avatar at 8 ohm and run the 3500 through that at 240 watts until I can afford a 1x15 sub. The drawback to this is that if I wanted to run the amp at the full 350 watts I would need to lug 2 cabs around. I'd also have to buy 2 cabs instead of 1.

Another option is to get a 4 ohm stand alone cab. Either the 4x10, 2x12, or a 1x15. Then I could run the full 350 watts though 1 cab, but the drawback would be that I am stuck with that cab and can never add another one (since it would be 4 ohm and that's the minimum rating for the 3500). And no matter the gig, I'd have a full size cab to haul around.

Option #3 is the Hartke VX3500 combo. It's the 3500 head combined with a Hartke 4x10 VX cab to make a one unit combo. It reminds me of when I had my old 3500 amp in a Genz Benz 115 convertible cabinet. But, after reading that it was 106 lbs and a few other negative things about the VX cabs, I am kinda turned off. But it's a one piece amp that runs at 350 watts.

Sorry about all my batty amp questions, I really am getting closer to figuring out what I am doing. I just need some opinions from people who have been in gigging situations and know what they need. Last time I was in a band I used that Hartke 3500 / Genz Benz 115 combo. It was big and heavy but it sounded good and was very loud.

Thanks, all opinions welcome.
  2. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Would recommend one B212 w/Delta drivers in the 4ohm config.

Possibly two CB112's w/8ohm Deltas.
  3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Do you play only 4 string? Also, are you mostly a metal player or what?

By nature of the Delta 10 in. speakers, Avatar 10 in. cabinets aren't designed to go too deep.

How about something like an 8 ohm Delta 12LF loaded B212 and an 8 ohm CB115H. Either cabinet would have decent lows (the 2x12 is better) and good highs (thanks to the Fostex tweeter). The 12s give a fatter midrange. Together, these cabinets are pretty lethal (although I haven't gigged with mine yet) I have two stacks of cabinets, a 2x10/1x15 stack which are similar to the Avatars you're considering and the other stack is the B212/CB115H pair that I just described. The lows on the Avatar pair are much more pronounced than with a pair of 10s and a 15.

While the CB115 (when laid on its side) is a little wider than the B212, Dave included some rubber feet to make stacking easier.

A picture of my rig is shown in the "Show Us Your Amps" thread, pretty close to the end.

If you can only afford one at a time, I'd get an 8 ohm 2x12 first. You'd benefit more from adding additional speakers to drop down to 4 ohms than you would by putting all the power into one 4 ohm cabinet.

Have fun!!!!!