Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The right DI-BOX to get the purest sound ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JWS, Feb 27, 2002.

1. Hi......

I like to buy a DI-BOX for the purest sound. Which would you recommend?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Buy an active solid-state DI.

3. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    There are 2 DI boxes that I would recommend. The Aguilar tube DI, and the Avalon U5.

The Aguilar uses a 12AX7 to warm up the tone going into it, and will give you a very natural organic tone. It is also good as a buffer....the tube contributes to a high input impedance. It is a very pure sounding active DI.

The Avalon is the best DI on the market. It has several features you will like! It is all class A solid state giving a very warm pure tone. It has a unique tone control which can be switched off, but allows for fine tuning, and all of the tones sound awesome! You can even use the unit as a practice amp w. headphones. It has a 1Meg input impedance. The unit also doubles as a pre-amp. A very versatile unit!

4. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Ajbassking is right on. If you want a less costly alternative you might try the Aguilar DB924. I bought it as a pre-amp to find out that it's a terrific recording DI. I used to use the DI on my Eden amp for recording but I like the tone of the DB924 a lot better.

5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    For live or recording?

For live, what's your amp?

For recording, what's the application: home 4-track cassette, Pro Tools at home or tracking for the next Macy Gray CD?

6. I have the DB900--it won a shootout in Electronic Musician or some such magazine (yeah, came out ahead of the Avalon).

The 924 might work, but generally, DI's for live sound should have balanced outs; that way you can lift the ground if need be.

7. I´m looking for a DI for mainly for recording.
    Hard disk recording with Logic Audio.

Thank´s for all your advices. I´m new here and I have to say, talkbass.com is really fine place. :cool:

8. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    And don't foprget about the Demeter..I have both a U5 as well as a Demeter (and a Countryman). I prefer the U5 to the Countryman (though the Countryman certainly holds its own...and is a lot less $$ than the U5).

I haven't done a head-to-head just yet between the Demeter and the U5, but I may very well prefer the sound of the Demeter for bass. The U5 is nice and versatile in that it will also put out enough gain to perform the role of a pre-amp (tho' that's what Mackie mixers are for...). either way, you can't go wrong.

Greg