Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The right input jack?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Luke Sheridan, Mar 10, 2005.

1. Luke Sheridan

Luke Sheridan Commercial User

Dec 30, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I build guitars and sell them. Strings, too
    I just purchased a 1/4" Long threaded barrel input jack, Mono, Switchcraft with nut and washer from Allparts. Trouble is my Bartolini hr4.6 says it is Stereo.
    Can I use this jack?

Attached Files:

2. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    Yes an No

The Hr4.6 isn't really stereo, but it' uses a stereo jack like it's a switch. When a 1/4" plug is inserted it turns on, and when it is pulled out it turns off. So you could use that jack and then mount a secondary switch, but then you would have to worry about turning it off and on, and accidently turning it off, so I would just get a stereo jack.

3. Luke Sheridan

Dec 30, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Can you point me to one? I've been searching everywhere and i thought this was the ticket. I shoulda read my docs a little closer. :( I want the mount to be either flush or recessed as the sides of the bass are rounded. There's no room for a plate. Thanks.

4. Luke Sheridan

Dec 30, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
  5. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Most places that carry AllParts should have the stereo version. It's called a "barrel jack" or sometimes a "flushmount jack". I would think GC would have one.

6. Luke Sheridan

Dec 30, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Thanks guys. I as able to pick one up in Manhattan today. By the way, its pretty long into the cavity and there appears to be "teeth" at the very end, past where the wire (black battery lead?) would connect. Can I trim this piece off?

I'm finally wiring this project up this weekend. It's my first build. Should have it complete early next week, I hope.

7. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    The big toothy lead is the ground lug. You can bend it if you need to but you're going to need it to ground the system so don't lop the whole thing off. The ground is different than the 9V- lead, which will go to one of the stereo lugs on the jack (the "ring", usually the longer of the two).