1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The right neck... Warmoth?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by descendent22, Feb 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. descendent22

descendent22

Jul 29, 2015
    Connecticut
    it's that time of year, it's income tax season and I'm in the market for an American fender bass. Most likely a p bass but I am up for possibly buying a jazz bass. With that said, testing both standard American precision and jazz basses at GC today I can honestly say that I DO NOT LIKE THE NECKS ON EITHER. I need something more slim or a smaller radius or something. Now an option for me is buying an American body loaded without the neck and buying a neck separately to my standards. Problem is, what neck is that. If I'm gunna spend the $$ should I just go with a warmoth custom neck, or is their a website with all different kind of fender necks? Can anyone help me out. This is a tough situation

2. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    If you order a Warmoth how do you know it's going to have the something about it that you want?

3. MobileHolmes

MobileHolmes I used to be BassoP

Nov 4, 2006
    Iowa
    I'm a big warmoth fan, but I'm not sure that these are the droids you're looking for. As DigitalMan points out, if you don't know exactly what dimension you are looking for, it's probably best not to order a neck sight unseen. Beyond that, warmoth has really weak bass neck options. 1 radius, 2 profiles and 2 nut widths for a 4. I really like their standard J neck, but you might not

AltGrendel likes this.
  4. 5544

Dec 1, 2015
    If you don't know why you didn't like the necks on the 2 basses, how is ordering a custom neck going to solve your problems?

BassGreaser likes this.
  5. descendent22

descendent22

Jul 29, 2015
    Connecticut
    I never said I didn't know why I didn't like them. And if you read over, I said that I needed a nck with a slimmer profile or radius or something. So with that said, like many people on this website who are always out to make people feel like they don't know nothing or correct them instead of helping them. Isn't that what this forum is for?to help people searchin for help, to make them feel comfortable?

direwolf333 likes this.
  6. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

If you don't like either of the Fender neck profiles, are you sure that you want a Fender?

I think you might want to work out a list of priorities so that you have a clear idea of what the key criteria your ideal bass has to have. Then if having Fender MIA on the headstock is a higher priority to you than neck profile, then you have to go down the road of researching replacement necks that meet your requirements. On the other hand, if the neck profile is more important to you than the branding, you need to start your search for the make of bass that most closely meets your neck profile needs and then meets your other criteria...I'm sure that there is no shortage of instruments that have P, J or PJ pup configurations along with a slimmer profile neck...Ibanez is the first name that springs to my mind, but there are likely many others.

7. descendent22

descendent22

Jul 29, 2015
    Connecticut
    Any way I'll be more descriptive for people who can't comprehend what they read. The current precision and jazz bass standard necks are just a little fat for me, not fast action enough for me at all. I'm looking for something along the lines of like the American special series, or a Nate mendal neck .

8. descendent22

descendent22

Jul 29, 2015
    Connecticut
    Def want a fender. I have Mexican fender precision and jazz basses, and also for squier the Matt Freeman signature and a classic vibe jazz bass with a bunch of mods. On my mim p bass I put a Mexican standard jazz neck on it and like it. I'm going American fender this time and it's going to be a precision, but the p and j necks are fat. They're thicker then the Mexican and squires. I love fender and theirs no tone to me that is better then the American p bass. So yes fender is the right bass but it's just a matter of finding the right neck. Like I originally posted, I'll prob buy the body and neck seperatly. One other option that I'm really taking in consideration is an 80s fender MIJ jazz bass special

9. mrb327

mrb327

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    Nobody Knows
    Build a parts bass, these necks come up in the classifieds , match it to whatever body you want by the same method

Conversely you can buy a used bass and shape the neck to your liking

10. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

So the next question is, why is an American Fender so important to you? Is a US Fender with an aftermarket neck still a US Fender? To be honest, I think you are being seduced by the 'prestige' of the branding. If you like your Mexican P with a Mexican J neck don't you already have what you want? I'm not a Fender player, but if was me and I had already got a bass where the "chassis" was exactly what I was looking for, I would save myself the hassle of going through a complicated search for the perfect neck to stick on to a US model and just play what I already had...or spend the money tweaking the bass I already liked with the perfect "running gear" such as pickups and hardware etc...

11. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Warmoth is not going to be slimmer than the Fender. I love Warmoth necks, but as others have said, they're probably not what you're looking for. I'd suggest you try to find a Fender Geddy Lee to try out. Those have very slim necks.

12. mojomike001

mojomike001

Mar 28, 2013
    South Florida
  13. 5544

Dec 1, 2015
    You don't know what you need because you listed 3 different things with an OR between them all and only tried out 2 basses (1 Precision and 1 Jazz).

Without even trying I found 4 different Fender American Jazz necks:

Neck Shape: Modern "C"
    Scale Length: 34" (864 mm)
    Fingerboard Radius: 9.5" (241 mm)
    Nut Width: 1.5" (38.1 mm)

Neck Shape: "C" Shape
    Fingerboard Radius: 7.25" (184.1 mm)
    Nut Width: 1.48" (37.59 mm)

Neck Shape: "U" Shape
    Fingerboard Radius: 7.25" (184.1 mm)
    Nut Width: 1.475" (37.46 mm)

Neck Shape: "U" Shape
    Fingerboard Radius: 7.25" to 12" Compund Radius (184 mm to 305 mm)
    Nut Width: 1.5" (38.1 mm)

Billyzoom and soulstew like this.
  14. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    Agreed. Why on earth would you buy an American P if the first thing you want to do is change the neck out? I have a 2000's era Mexican Standard Jazz and also a MIJ Aerodyne, so I can tell you that those MIJ Jazz necks are the same dimension as the MIM. I'd just find or build a bass with one of those necks and whatever body I could get my hands on. Change pups if you need to and you're good to go.

soulstew and ColdEye like this.
  15. fretno

fretno

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    I vote bacon

16. descendent22

descendent22

Jul 29, 2015
    Connecticut
    Thanx for the info, but I'm not buying a signature bass. I'm not new to this but wit
    well in that matter I'd go with the second one u listed. Now I know all the profiles.your like getting really confused and throwing this whole thing like way off topic. Without trying I knew these off the top of my head.

17. descendent22

descendent22

Jul 29, 2015
    Connecticut
    Ya see I asked about having warmoth create a custom neck, if that type of thing can be done, and I asked if their was a website with like EVERY type of fender neck out there. From what your getting at I apreciate the info u gave me but your goin off topic to the point at which I have to reread my OP to see if I actually asked the questions that your answering which are off topic.

Guiseppe likes this.
  18. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Warmoth makes nice necks, but I doubt - as others stated - they will be to your liking.

Allparts makes nice necks, too - very similar to Japanese Fender necks. These are likely to be more along the lines of what you want than Warmoth, just based on the shape, IME.

These guys part out Fender instruments and are likely to have a neck that will suit your needs.

Good luck with your project.

19. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    I'm not a fan of Warmoth. I've tried many. All the profiles, radius', graphite and steel bars. They've all been heavy and tone suckers IMO I'd find a Fender you like. Keep searching

Pocket4 and descendent22 like this.