The right schematic for DIM M J's

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MAGUS®, Oct 15, 2006.

1. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    I'm going to mod my 70's J bass copy for series/parallel, and using the excellent FAQ / Sticky regarding this, i think i'm going for the Push/Pull pot and simplest diagram that will keep both Vol pots.

That seems to be this one....

jazz_series_p.gif

My problem is that i'm using a pair of Dimarzio Model J's that have 4 wires per pickup. They're not fitted into the bass yet, but the Black n White wires on the neck P are twisted together ( same with the bridge P ) .... do i keep them that way, and then simply follow the schematic above, or is there something extra i have to do with these Black n White wires, other than leave them twisted together ?

2. muse

muse

Apr 7, 2005
    Try this, I think its cleaner and what I've done with mine

Attached Files:

3. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    I'd like to keep both vols active if poss - i think the first one allows that.

4. The Penguin

The Penguin duplicate account violation Inactive

Jun 21, 2006
    I'm not pelagic
    4 wires gives you the option of switching series/parallel between the 2 coils of each pickup, not just between the 2 pickups. The 2 wires twisted together means your pickups are wired in series and should be soldered together and sheilded from touching anything else with some shrink tubing or similar. The other 2 wires are your hot & ground that you would use for your drawing.

Have you noticed they got the control plate upside down in that drawing? :rollno:

5. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    double post

6. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    Hi Peng - ok i get it. I'm not bothering with the extra options, so i guess i'll leave them twisted - cheers !

No i didnt notice the plate upside down till you pointed it out, weird !
    But the pots are in the correct order, so i guess the wiring is not upside down too :)

7. Ive got a set of DP126s in a bass (Dimarzio Model P and Model J), and ive got it set up with a series/parallel switch for each pickups, and a series/parallel switch between the two pickups, i choose to use a push pull pot for a phase switch.

It is not (as far as i am aware), possible to have two pickups in series and have a volume for each.

The nature of putting two pickups in series, essentially makes them one really big pickup, and having two volumes wouldnt work, or isnt possible.

In the other wiring diagram you have the bridge volume control would cut out when the pickups are in series.

Id also have the switch wired the other way around so the pickups were in series when you pulled it out, but thats just a preference thing.

8. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    Thanks MO..

I'm sure i read in the S/P FAQ and subsequent threads that mr Smash actually replaced one of the pots with a Push pull, and therefore ending up with 1 master vol for both pups in series, and the same vol ? would then operate the neck pup?

I dont know if i've got that right - if so perhaps thats the way to go. I'd like to use a switch rather than a pot, and drill a small hole in the plate, thereby keeping all 3 of the original pots. I'm not looking for seperate vols for each pup when they're in series. Just want to keep a vol for when they're in standard parallel

I dunno...i find all this wiring very confusing with the options, and what can and cant be done. Its a lot easier if you understand electronics but very tiresome for us mortals that have to keep asking. I'm still none the wiser , it seems.

9. You want your current wiring : a volume for each pickup, but when in series only one volume?

If thats the case, follow the dimarzio wiring diagram further up, just wire it to a switch instead of a push pull pot, ill see if i can find another picture.

(i cant find any of the other pictures, but its easy enough to follow the dimarzio one)

10. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    Yes MO .. A vol for each pickup when in parallel, then as pointed out earlier, when both are in series mode, you only need one vol anyway, so presumably the bridge vol becomes defunct...but no probs, dont need it in series !

Yes the Dim schematic is pretty easy to understand. And i've changed my mind from the 1st post,...dual pot is being swopped for a toggle DPDT

Thanks pal

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021