The right string

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by pete_the_beat, Jul 30, 2002.

1. I'm looking for some new strings for my Warwick Thumb 4-string and I don't know that much about strings and I thinks its to expensive to experiment, so I thought that some of you guys could help me out a bit. I play mostly modern rock (Foo Fighters, Weezer, U2.........) and jazz and funk.

Thanks in advance.
  2. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    Well, y' see, choosing strings is a very personal thing. What is perfect for someone might be rubbish for another. It all boils down to personal preferance. If you can narrow it down to a preferred guage (0.045's possibly (G string)) that would be a good place to start. What were the strings on your warwick? what did/didn't you like about them? If you tell us more, we will be able to advise more accurately. I am using 0.095 - 0.035 's on my jazz bass for slap and funk. I like nickel strings too. So please give us more info my son
  3. I experimented with all different gauges and i found the best ones are .45-.105. But it could be totally different for you. I do very easy minor slap stuff in 2 songs my band plays. Mostly i just play finger-style. I use Ernie Ball Slinky's (Hybrid) but i never experimented with other brands so i can't help you there. It's just what you like. I found .100 gauge E-string was too flimsy for my taste. The .50 G-string was to big and tight for me. It's all preference.
  4. Pharmecopia

Jul 31, 2002
    ive posted this several times before, i found that DR strings work well on warwicks (i currently own a warwick thumb 5). as for gauge...thats up to you.
  5. Hi guys and thanks for the feedback.
    I found out that the last strings I bought for my other bass was Super Steps (045-105) from La Bella and I was really happy with the string gauge.
    Then I checked out DR strings and found out that some of my favourite bass players played Lo-Riders.
    Now I have decided to buy the Lo-Riders with the gauge 045-065-085-105.
    So thanks for the help guys.
    I'll post a review when I get them.