Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The right string

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by pete_the_beat, Jul 30, 2002.

1. I'm looking for some new strings for my Warwick Thumb 4-string and I don't know that much about strings and I thinks its to expensive to experiment, so I thought that some of you guys could help me out a bit. I play mostly modern rock (Foo Fighters, Weezer, U2.........) and jazz and funk.

Thanks in advance.

2. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    Well, y' see, choosing strings is a very personal thing. What is perfect for someone might be rubbish for another. It all boils down to personal preferance. If you can narrow it down to a preferred guage (0.045's possibly (G string)) that would be a good place to start. What were the strings on your warwick? what did/didn't you like about them? If you tell us more, we will be able to advise more accurately. I am using 0.095 - 0.035 's on my jazz bass for slap and funk. I like nickel strings too. So please give us more info my son

3. I experimented with all different gauges and i found the best ones are .45-.105. But it could be totally different for you. I do very easy minor slap stuff in 2 songs my band plays. Mostly i just play finger-style. I use Ernie Ball Slinky's (Hybrid) but i never experimented with other brands so i can't help you there. It's just what you like. I found .100 gauge E-string was too flimsy for my taste. The .50 G-string was to big and tight for me. It's all preference.

4. Pharmecopia

Pharmecopia

Jul 31, 2002
    ive posted this several times before, i found that DR strings work well on warwicks (i currently own a warwick thumb 5). as for gauge...thats up to you.

5. Hi guys and thanks for the feedback.
    I found out that the last strings I bought for my other bass was Super Steps (045-105) from La Bella and I was really happy with the string gauge.
    Then I checked out DR strings and found out that some of my favourite bass players played Lo-Riders.
    Now I have decided to buy the Lo-Riders with the gauge 045-065-085-105.
    So thanks for the help guys.
    I'll post a review when I get them.