The Risks of Being a Horn Player...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Sock Justice, Oct 22, 2002.

1. Just as a warning, if you're a bit squeamish, you might want to skip over this thread.

...I'm kind of glad I haven't been putting much time into my trumpet playing for the last couple of years...

2. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    He must have had atrocious technique.

The other thing horn players have to watch out for are nodules on vocal cords (a la Miles) and embochures that fall apart and have to be completely rebuilt after several years of misuse (Terence Blanchard, Freddie Hubbard).
  3. Don't forget having one's face punched concave (Chet Baker, Jimmy Knepper).

BTW, what was the cause of Hubbard's lip problems? Was he smoking crack/freebasing? I know he had a cocaine problem in the '70s, but everyone did.
  4. guys did notice the words "Weekly World News" under the author's name, correct? Unless I'm mistaken, that's a tabloid; it's not real. I think Dizzy or somebody did have cheeks that hung a bit, but nowhere near that made-up photo.

The amount of strain necessary to do that would be counter-producutive to producing any decent tone and just tire you out (probably hurting quite a bit, I'd imagine), so I can't imagine anyone doing it for that long. However, like Christopher said, there are people who just misuse their chops for years and then all of a sudden can barely play at all, and must rebuild everything from scratch. I think this happens mostly to trumpet and french hornists. Young trumpet players often focus on learning to play screamingly high (the trumpet version of slap wankery, I suppose), and I've heard of at least one french horn major who screwed up her chops trying some drastic change.
    To produce the best tone as a brass player, you can't have any tension or force anything.
  5. Yeah, a few minutes after I posted that, I looked up "Weekly World News"...I seriously doubt this is a legit article. Guess I should've checked my sources first, huh?

Here's another good one, although I'm positive it's fake, I still find it a funny read.

Man Slides His Trombone & Kills

6. You'd think he'd get it fixed when they started hang down to his neck, or at least his shoulders....
  7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I play in a band with a lot of horn players and it is quite amusing when we play big functions where they provide food.

We have been to some, with really good catering and they have provided the band with food at the interval - but the horn players say they can't eat anything as they risk blowing bits into their instruments - more for me!! :D
  8. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I play the trumpet. That's quite scary.
  9. I either don't eat right before playing a horn, or if I have to, I rinse out my mouth with water really well. No real damage would happen; you'd just have to do a thorough cleaning/bathing of the horn more often.

Or, there's drinking while playing horns...actual quote from one guy the next rehearsal. " horn tastes kinda weird today...almost like rum."
  10. 1) That's not possible.
    2) You don't puff your cheek out anyways, b/c you sound horrible, Dizzy Gilespie did it b/c he had weak face muscles, and couldn't hold his cheeks in.
    3)Whether this guy works for the Weekly World News or not, this guy can't write articles for crap.
    4)The Weekly World News is the 8th highest circulating paper in the world(hehe, sorry, i love So I Married an Axe Murderer)
  11. I thought it was so he could maximize the volume of his body for circular breathing purposes.